cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building & Installing my BBQ Table

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I worked for a while getting my BBQ Table built and installed and here are some pics of the finished product in use @ Montana De Oro State Park.

From the side of the trailer you really cant see it too much when it's stowed away. Likely cause it's all painted black around the frame area.

Little closer look and you can see it tucked up against the outer wall under the edge

Looking under the trailer you can see the two 1/2" eye bolts that actually tighten down the table mount while it's stowed

At the other end of the table mount that I secured with a wing nut I made.

When you loosed the two eyebolts and remove the wing nut you can slide the table mount out of "stow tube" that is mounted to the out rigger on the trailer.

Then you pull it out, flip it, slide it back in til it bottoms and tighten the two 1/2" eye bolts to cinch it down.

The little gas grill sits in the storage compartment on top of the table I made to sit on the table mount.

This is the underside of the table with the mounting devise that goes on the leg. I made the mount from the same tubing that is mounted on the outrigger of the trailer. Then welded it to a piece of 18ga black metal and bolted it to the 1/4" aluminum plate I salvaged from a gas meter stand.

Welded a 5/16" nut on the tube and found a securing bolt with a nice big plastic head to grasp with my fingers.

This is the table mounted and tightened down ready for the gas grill.

With the little Weber on the table I thought it would be a good idea to come up with a way to keep someone from knocking it off while passing by and not paying close attention to their where-a-bouts in relation to the little Weber!

And there it is. Waiting for me to hook up the hose to the gas and light it off. I will post some pics and text for the gas line hook up I did next.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
21 REPLIES 21

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure like the home-made wing nuts -- great design! I really have to learn how to weld. Duct tape is not doing the job anymore . . . . . ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
COOL nice job, i'm thinking something similar
Jay D.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. I made something similar on my last RV, a class C Jamboree. The mount attached to a section mounted inside the rear wheelwell, secured by two wingnuts. Worked well, and it was long enough to position my grille at least 12-14" away from the side of the coach; never had an issue with too much heat against the side of the RV.

I will however, admit to one downside. While it was nice to have it under the awning so that I could still grille even if it was raining, the problem was that the awning would trap the smoke, smoking me out while I cooked, AND it would divert the smoke up inside the MH if the windows or door were open, setting off the smoke detector.

Now I just use a small folding table. That way I can cook wherever I decide to; under the awning, outside the awning, out away from the RV...anywhere.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vintage465 wrote:
JBarca wrote:
Nice job and good work!!! Thanks for sharing.

OK, you have my curiosity up... How did you make the joint on the trailer when the tube rotates up 90 deg and then push it back in. Is there a piece of pipe on the camper that fits inside the tube or something else?

Always picking up good tips for a future mod...

Thanks

John

Sorry for the late response..................

Yes there is a piece of slightly larger square tube that is bolted to the outrigger on the trailer. The two eyebolts you see in one of the pics actually are threaded into nuts welded to the slightly larger square tubing.

Thanks!!
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
JBarca wrote:

OK, you have my curiosity up... How did you make the joint on the trailer when the tube rotates up 90 deg and then push it back in. Is there a piece of pipe on the camper that fits inside the tube or something else?

Thanks

John

Sorry for the late response..................

Yes there is a piece of slightly larger square tube that is bolted to the outrigger on the trailer. The two eyebolts you see in one of the pics actually are threaded into nuts welded to the slightly larger square tubing.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II

Thanks

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love it. Very nice. And IF you ever worried about grease or heat, you could always glue a square of diamond plating or similar to the side of the trailer

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
Nice idea and workmanship.

Agree, great workmanship BUT don't care for the idea of locating a grill so close to the camper where greasy smoke will rise up and envelope the awning. Parking my own Q on the campsite picnic table avoids this issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since we only grill burgers and other short duration cooking time items I am not worried about grease on the trailer or heat build up. If I wanted to do a tri-tip or something that takes 30 or 45 minutes I can slide it out 6" more from the trailer. Also, I placed it under the awning so I can grill in the rain. I have also found that many parks won't allow people to put their gas or charcoal grill on their picnic tables, hence the self contained method.
V-465

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nice job! My critique, the table should be wider at least on one side to place a plate and seasoning. Also a few too many bolts holding the table, but it sure won't fall off.

Points well taken. The piece of aluminum was already that size. There is one size larger, but you saw how much room there is in the pic where the little grill is on top of the plate.....As far as the # of bolts..........well, that's my way of straightening out the 18ga. after it warped from my welding the 1-1/2" tube to it..........OK, and I like lots of bolts, and they're stainless, and counter sunk! Looks very "aircraft" from the top of the table!
V-465

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, that's slick!
I thought about doing something similar using a 2" trailer receiver bolted to the bottom of the frame rail facing out, and fabbing a right-angle mount out of 2" square tubing.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Innovative idea. I like it. Just be a little careful. The RVQ type mount on the RV grills do not get as hot as your typical grill.
Beware there maybe heat issues. I had an RVQ that never created any close quarters heat problems however the Weber Q will get hotter that my old RVQ
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Nice ....I prefer simple.....

I prefer simple also......But while I'm thinking of keeping something simple, I also feel I'm being lazy. Ah yes, the campin' season. ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Nice idea and workmanship.

Agree, great workmanship BUT don't care for the idea of locating a grill so close to the camper where greasy smoke will rise up and envelope the awning. Parking my own Q on the campsite picnic table avoids this issue. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380