cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We finally took the plunge

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2017 Rpod 179. Won't pick it up for a few days because I don't want to go through the PDI in the rain. lol. Also, they are going to add two GC2 deep cycle batts: and take care of a small punch list of items I noticed. We are anxious to get out on a shake-down trip, after the night in the driveway, as suggested by many on this site...
I have a question, what is the minimum amount of water that should be carried in a black water tank? My Rpod's black water tank is 30 gallon capacity.
Thanks for any responses.
Steve
19 REPLIES 19

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 911 wrote:
My inclination was to never have a completely dry tank. Just want to know what seasoned rv'ers do.

Being a "seasoned RVr" doesn't necessarily mean they're doing it right but can mean they're just repeating the same mistake over and over again. :R Once you've serviced your grey and black water tanks every manufacturer will recommend adding tank chems, along with a few gallons of fresh water (10% of the capacity of the tank being reasonable) in order to control odour and prevent the formation of pyramids of hard residue that will always remain despite how thoroughly you think you've "cleaned" your tanks. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I do 2.5 gallons...10% of my black tank capacity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest thing is knowing what drains into which tank. On my View, the shower and kitchen sink drain into the gray tank, and the bathroom sink and toilet drain into the black tank. Since the shower, even if shower water is vary meagerly used, I expect the gray tank to fill first, so I generally don't use the kitchen sink, I want a fair amount of water in the black tank to transport the solids out, so I precharge it with about two to three gallons of water and then use the bathroom sink for all washing purposes. It has worked out OK so far.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I probably go overboard on water usage. I usually add 3-5 gals (I have a 30 gal BT) of water after dumping. Each usage with #2 is followed by about 15 secs or so of water per usage. Wife and I can generally go 4-5 days that way before we have to dump.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I occasionally add ice if I feel that my sensors are gunked up. Not sure if it actually does anything, but it doesn't cost me anything (use ice from home) and makes me feel better.

OP, I usually stand on the flush pedal for about 10-15 seconds before we use the toilet at a campground. The biggest issue is to use sufficient water when you flush and sufficient water when you drain your black tank. If you are at sewer sites, use plenty of water. If you are without sewer, use plenty of water to start, and you can be more sparing once the tank has a decent amount of water.

I don't really use chemicals. My wife likes them, so I either drop a baggie down or else I tell her that I did. Not sure either one of us has noticed a difference if drop a baggie or not... 🙂

Congrats on the trailer and hope you have a LOT of fun. I miss the days of a simple camper. We've got 2 kids and 3 dogs now... 31 foot camper with a big slide, etc. I miss a small simple trailer and the simplicity therein!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to add to the thread beyond congratulations on your new purchase! I considered an R-Pod and it was hard to pass over.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with 1 gallon of water. Forget the expensive useless potty chemicals they are real good at one thing and one thing only.... Flattening your wallet.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I never leave any water in my black or grey. When I dump I use the black tank rinse for as long as it takes to empty the grey tank. Usually about 5 mins.
I do add water to it before we use it though. Never had an issue with any of our trailers doing it that way. We've had our current 5er for 4 seasons and the black tank never stinks. I don't waste time on chemicals either.

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
"et2" wrote:
Some people even add a bag of ice before starting their trip.

Saw a YouTube about this a while back. Guy built a rig to test the theory of using ice in the black tank. Looks like it is pretty much a waste of time and for the obvious reasons that he points out at the end. But, if people believe in it, it doesn't hurt anything. YouTube link is below for those who may be interested.

Black Tank and Ice; is it worth the bother?

Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My inclination was to never have a completely dry tank. Just want to know what seasoned rv'ers do.
Happy trails.
Steve

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever have had #2 jam while dumping you'll think seriously about why you didn't add water to your black tank prior to camping. I always add 3-5 gallons before camping and immediately after dumping. It'll slosh around while driving and clean stuff off the tank and outlet. Some people even add a bag of ice before starting their trip.

It's doing more good than anything. No pyramids.

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it depends on what kind of camping you're doing, but I usually stay in state parks, and another option (and one that I use) is to only use you camper toilet for liquid waste, and use the campground facilities for anything else. If you do that then a few flushes of fresh water should be fine.

I'd also like to mention that I have a fiberglass trailer and love it, but I've seen the Rpods and they are really nice. Hope you enjoy!

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Given the size of your "black" tank, I would suggest one bottle of liquid potty chemicals (about 8 ounces) mixed in one gallon of water. One bottle of chemicals should be enough and you can double the water, if you want. I would not suggest leaving the tank empty (dry) for any length of time after its first use.

Just my 2-cents. Happy Camping
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems