cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pros & cons of waste pumps with macerators

hatwate
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class A and my husband is thinking of purchasing a waste pump. We utilize only campgrounds and rarely need to use other dump stations. Why would we want one of these? Wheat are the pros and cons?
39 REPLIES 39

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Macerator pumps use a 3/4" to 1" hose (can use smaller) mine is a portable so it uses a 50' 3/4" BLACK rubber garden hose (Why black, well if you can't figure that out...)

Uh Oh, now I'm in trouble :E ... mine is an orangish / reddish kinda colour ... what does THAT mean?! :W

BUT, I do have a grey coloured grey water hose! :B

Phew, that saved the day! ๐Ÿ˜›
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will discuss 3 systems
Sewer Solution (I recommend against)
3" stinky Slinkey (Regular 3" waste hose...I use often)
Macerator pumps (I use sometimes)>

The sewer solution is a macerator pump, but water powered, Water, clean, fresh, drinkable, water is becoming more and more scarce. This product wastes that resource, I Drink a lot of water. Thus I'm against simply sticking a fresh water hose in the sewer and running it.. Other than that it's not a bad system.

3" hose: This think dumps my tanks (36 gallons) in about 1 minute, True it's a bit bulky and if you don't have a good one there are all sorts of possible issues (I have some very good ones) like holes, or ends coming off, but hey, "Stuff Happens".. Seriously other than occasional replacement you get a good hose (Rhino flex or better) and you are not going to have problems. But it has limits.

It wont' pump up hill, and well much more than 20 feet is an issue.

Macerator pumps use a 3/4" to 1" hose (can use smaller) mine is a portable so it uses a 50' 3/4" BLACK rubber garden hose (Why black, well if you can't figure that out...)

It pump;s UP hill
It pumps up to 75' (I have a 2nd hose)

The hose is easy to coil up and stow
The thing takes about 6 minutes per tank however,, Long time

But runs on nice clean plentiful Electricity.

The only "issue" is that since it is only used "occasionally" the impellers stick to the housing and I have to manually free them before connecting.. now this sounds hard so I'll give you the procedure

Take any flat tool. Mending bar, Straight screwdriver, Quarter

Turn the thing upside down

insert tool in slot and twist,, Clockwise as I recall.

That's it (Wow was that easy)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I push the hose up under the exit hole. Its not that messy assuming you have a black tank rinser and or flush with gray water.

I was thinking about pushing the hose farther than just into the bowl. If you push the hose down farther, does that mean the black water bypasses the clean water in the bowl, or does it still get up there but maybe isn't as concentrated?

I have a Sewer Solution and now that I know how the macerator works in a toilet, I'm thinking the Sewer Solution could also be used in a toilet. Plus, I could test it with fresh water before making the black water (or even gray water) commitment.

Thanks for the photo, aridon--that really helps.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Glad I took Toilet 101 in college.

Same course we all took? - on hands & knees, barfing in the porcelain pony? :W
hopefully I made it that far!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Same course we all took? - on hands & knees, barfing in the porcelain pony? :W

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its called gravity. When you flush a toilet, gravity pulls the water into the bowl then down through the trap into the pipes where it flows downhill. Water will not flow uphill.

I push the hose up under the exit hole. Its not that messy assuming you have a black tank rinser and or flush with gray water.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Its all gravity. Put water in the bowl and water goes out the hole in the bottom and up over the trap that is holding it in. All you are doing is adding enough force to push the water in the trap out and over down the drain. You can't over flow a toilet unless there is an obstruction or you fill it so fast that it can't cope with the volume. Something a macerator wouldn't do and if it did you could switch it off.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eakes-production/assets/13593/original.jpg

These pumps are great in a pinch when you have to dump up hill or in a residential situation where you have to use a drain or toilet to dump your waste. Work wonderfully.

Assuming you use a lot of water. These things need a lot of water to work properly and the smaller the line you are dumping from, the more water you need to get it to work without solids building up in the tank.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
I've never dumped a bucket of water in a toilet. And I've been fulltiming for 13 years so I haven't even been around a residential toilet in forever.

So you just put the hose like on the edge of the toilet bowl and the contents flow out of the hose onto the top of the water that's in there? That sounds messy.

And how exactly do toilets "self-flush"? I honestly have no clue.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:
ctilsie242 wrote:
However, if I'm extending a garden hose to dump on a toilet, being able to pump uphill is quite useful.

Can you explain exactly how to use a macerator to dump into a toilet? Where does the end of the hose go? Not just into the bowl, because that would overflow, right?

Toilets don't over flow usually, haven't you ever dumped a bucket of water in a toilet? I do question dumping at a rate the mascerator puts out if a toilet could keep up
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
However, if I'm extending a garden hose to dump on a toilet, being able to pump uphill is quite useful.

Rice wrote:
Can you explain exactly how to use a macerator to dump into a toilet? Where does the end of the hose go? Not just into the bowl, because that would overflow, right?

Of course not, the bowl just self flushes as the bowl fills, but if someone isn't holding the hose in place you want to secure it so it can't slip out of position. :E If there's any downside it's odour as there will be some - exactly the reason I installed an inlet to my house sewer stack. No fuss, no muss, no odour. :B

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
For several years, I had trailer with a slinky. I now own a Class C with a macerator and I love it. Clean, easy to use and store away. Only downside is it takes a little longer to dump.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
There was comment about a piece of plastic or a wrapper total clogging things up and what a mess to remove. I did have a plastic wrapper, I canโ€™t remember what it was once but with the SewerSolution I could see it and just move the spray jet around and it unclogged and stuck on the side of the SewerSolution out of the way. I let it run the all water was clear and clean as was the wrapper I shut off the water disconnected the hose and threw the wrapper in the trash it was rinsed clean no mess.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373