cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best and Worst Feature of your truck

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
In an effort to share knowledge about different tow vehicles, what's your favorite and least favorite feature about your current truck. Mine is the previous generation F-250 and I love the entry keypad on the driver's door. I know it's not for everyone but I use it a lot and find it very handy. My least favorite feature is the 26 gallon fuel tank. I've never been close to running out of fuel but it's always on my mind while towing. I'm likely going to add an external tank in the future to fix this short coming. I'm also glad to see Ford has increased the tank sizes on the new generation of Super Duty.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP
90 REPLIES 90

sele
Explorer
Explorer
best it pulls our rv better than expected
worst the driver side arm rest isn't comfortable as the older model
the rest I kinda figured on
scott

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best...I can't limit it to one. The engine/transmission is amazing. I love the tow mirrors and I find the seats extremely comfortable. Worst is the pop can for a fuel tank and the way the front wheels push and skid while turning sharp in 4x4.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Best feature - 2000 mile range.
worst feature - fill up time.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:
2016 DMax/ Allison 2500HD 4x4 (work truck)

Pro, its paid for, though that shouldn't count. So many features for a bare bones truck it's hard to count but I guess the power is so much better than my old 8.1 liter.

Con, the stupid DEF tank under hood fill, what were they thinking?!

Best after market feature is the 60 gallon in bed tank, it let me run from Fresno, CA to Denver without stopping for fuel.

What does that 60 gallon tank full of fuel do for your rear axle carrying capacity?

What do you think it does to the carrying capacity? Do we have to play "5 whys" to get the root cause? Do you know what load he carry's and pulls?

GEEZE, why all the hostility????? can't find any bad RAM/CUMMINS reports today? :B

Your post was simply to demoralize the guy plain and simple.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

Pro, its paid for, though that shouldn't count. So many features for a bare bones truck it's hard to count but I guess the power is so much better than my old 8.1 liter.

Best after market feature is the 60 gallon in bed tank, it let me run from Fresno, CA to Denver without stopping for fuel.

What does that 60 gallon tank full of fuel do for your rear axle carrying capacity?

What do you think it does to the carrying capacity? Do we have to play "5 whys" to get the root cause? Do you know what load he carry's and pulls?

GEEZE, why all the hostility????? can't find any bad RAM/CUMMINS reports today? :B
. The good part is not going to def fluid in the fuel tank. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing :h

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailblazer87 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

The tank itself weighs about 40 lbs., the fuel weighs another 420 so I lose a bit of cargo capacity but I'm not pushing any limits with my trailer. For a heavier trailer then you would probably be getting close to the limits. Its just a handy way to extend my distance between fueling. It does take up a bit of bed space but no more than a tool box, plus it has a small tool box on top, about 6" deep. When empty I can go close to 1800 miles before running out as long as I am being nice to the skinny pedal. With the trailer I made it from Saint George, UT to Fresno, CA without fueling.

I am already at my RAWR so adding more fuel would be nice but I carry a 5 when towing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
The 7.3 diesel is the best engine I have ever had.
Some of the Ford electronics like the door switches and automatic lights are goofy and hard to repair.
I have planned out a whole range of grisly ends for the engineer who came up with the 'door ajar' switches in my 2003 F450. After doing the whole crew cab twice, I can now field strip the door down to the latch and switch assembly in about ten minutes.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
demiles wrote:
5.0L Cummins
Smooth quiet ride
No seat belt warning alarm

Diesel exhaust smell

You can turn the chime off in a lot of the new trucks. First thing I did in my 13 and 16 Rams.

Can you help me out there?? My method of turning it off is buckling it behind me and sitting on top.

Procedure to disable driver side seat belt alarm:
Get in truck, buckle seat belt. Turn key on and WAIT FOR THE SEATBELT LIGHT TO GO OUT then unbuckle and rebuckle the seat belt 3 times within 10 seconds ending with it buckled and turn key off.

Worked on my '14 Ram 3500
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Trailblazer87 wrote:

The tank itself weighs about 40 lbs., the fuel weighs another 420 so I lose a bit of cargo capacity but I'm not pushing any limits with my trailer. For a heavier trailer then you would probably be getting close to the limits. Its just a handy way to extend my distance between fueling. It does take up a bit of bed space but no more than a tool box, plus it has a small tool box on top, about 6" deep. When empty I can go close to 1800 miles before running out as long as I am being nice to the skinny pedal. With the trailer I made it from Saint George, UT to Fresno, CA without fueling.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmw photos wrote:
Best feature: slick shifting great 6 speed manual gearbox

Worst: the truck is now 11 years old, so I will likely have to replace it fairly soon.

6 spd manual is the worst feature of my 11 yr old truck in town and the second best feature out towing on the road (after the little Cummings with the retarder brake)...

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Best feature: slick shifting great 6 speed manual gearbox

Worst: the truck is now 11 years old, so I will likely have to replace it fairly soon.