Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok to get on roof?

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler with an aluminum roof. We are planning on heading out in Feb but I need will need to clean the snow off the roof first. I want to get on the roof with a plastic shovel an clean the snow off as opposed to using a ladder and raking it of. Question is is the roof okay to get up and walk around on?

Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
16 REPLIES 16

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are not going to travel with it and are I just worried about the the weight of the snow, I would just let it melt as you are liable to break an AC cover or one of the other plastic components on the roof trying to shovel of the snow. Those plastic covers get brittle after many years in the sun.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Just wear ice cleats. Ha ha, only kidding, glad you're being responsible and clearing off the snow. As others have stated, the roof will be very slick and you'll be on the ground before you knew it if you start to slip. Try getting as much as possible from a ladder. You might not have to go on the roof at all! Good luck!

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
You said you have an aluminum roof. Are you sure? My 2004 Monaco La Palma is basically the same as your HR and my roof is fiberglass.

I've been on my roof probably 80 times over the years with no problems.

What engine/transmission do you have? If you just bought this RV there are other things you need to know about it.

How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.

Yes it is aluminum. 2005 Ambassador 36PDD Cummins 330ISC/Alison Trans

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
You said you have an aluminum roof. Are you sure? My 2004 Monaco La Palma is basically the same as your HR and my roof is fiberglass.

I've been on my roof probably 80 times over the years with no problems.

What engine/transmission do you have? If you just bought this RV there are other things you need to know about it.

How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Hats off to you for cleaning it off! Some people would just leave it there and drive off. The are starting to write tickets for that in CO.

They'll give a ticket here too. I'd be afraid someone behind me would get hurt if a big chunk of snow or ice flew off the roof.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
My thoughts are the less i walk on my roof , the less chances i have for leaks. Use the ladder and if you want it all off use a cold water hose.

Wouldn't using cold water just cause it to pack and freeze?
2013 ACE 29.2

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I find it surprising that you have a 2005 and you've never been on the roof to check out things up there. 🙂

Only had it a few months and everything works, no leaks. No pressing reason to get up there.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Hats off to you for cleaning it off! Some people would just leave it there and drive off. The are starting to write tickets for that in CO.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I find it surprising that you have a 2005 and you've never been on the roof to check out things up there. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
What I did up in Alaska when there was 14" of snow on the roof was to take my phone with me in case I fell, a 2'X 1' x 3/4" piece of plywood that was kind a scruffy on one side so it wouldn't slip too much on snow. And wore a pair of knee protectors. Climbed up the ladder with a broom a swept off the powdery snow as much as I could from the ladder. Then brought the plywood up. Climbed up the rest of the way with the snow shovel. Then kneeled on the plywood for most of the work basically pushing a shovel full at a time off the nearest edge. Move the plywood every once in awhile to reach new areas of course. In the very middle of the RV, I'd just stand...wearing waffle soled boots.

I've also tried sweeping it off from a ladder on the side of the RV and that sucks. Pretty much have to climb onto the roof to get the majority of snow off anyway.

Just work slowly and realize that every flake doesn't need to be removed.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts are the less i walk on my roof , the less chances i have for leaks. Use the ladder and if you want it all off use a cold water hose.
Dennis Hoppert

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can walk on the roof, but I would recommend using a ladder and raking the snow off. Slipping off the roof is a lot further to the ground than falling half way up a ladder while raking the snow off.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can go up there. That's how the A/C and other units on the roof were installed. As mentioned by everyone (and they should!) be very, very careful. This is a dangerous place when the roof is dry and can be deadly if you do not give it the respect it deserves.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,
You'll be just fine. I've not seen any roof, on any RV or Trailer that was not built with the thought of no one is to EVER get on the roof. How would anyone check all the caulking and sealing of all the components if there was a "No Tresspassing" on the roof?
So, yes, you'll be fine. As has been stated, just use some common sense while you're up there. It may be a bit slick so, no ice skating while you're up there. Good luck and be careful.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND