cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

U-Dinette R&R

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
There are just the two of us, and ever since we got our class C, we have never been really comfortable with the U-shape dinette. Yes it was completely functional, but we never used the underseat storage, and decided it was time to make things more to our liking.

You may never appreciate how much engineering goes into an RV until you start to tear stuff out. Staples, screws or every dimension it seemed, and glue held it together nicely, but made for difficult removal.

The project was a bit time consuming at almost 40 hours (I'm slow!) but inexpensive at less than $100. I scavenged all the building materials I needed from the demolished U-dinette except the carpet I used under the chairs... that was a scrap we saved when we had the house done a few years ago. The recliners came from our living room, but we've been wanting to make a change in the house for a while anyway... win/win! I bought a can of spray foam insulation to fill the seat belt holes in the floor and silicone sealer to waterproof the holes on the underside. I needed a can of wood stain and some trim carpet edge to wrap up the job.

I'm waiting for a couple items to be delivered so I can permanently mount my portable ham radio transciever, and we've yet to pick out table trays but for the first time in the 4+ years we've owned Gozer, we actually enjoy just sitting inside the RV!

From this...

To This...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

7 REPLIES 7

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we have a U shaped setup also, was quoted about $1500 to redo! I looked at just making it a old style dinette, most of the curve is established with thin sheet of plywood, the under seats are rectangular so I could just have rectangular cushions made up. She is not wild about the white 'naugahyde' cover either.

Right now in process of getting a building built for storage of the rv and TT and truck so its a future project for sure.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job. We like dinettes in our coaches but if this suits you all the better!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE - Yes I bolted the chairs and table to prevent movement. The table base is the relocated telescoping factory base, and I ran two bolts through the floor for each chair. Not good enough to ride in, but they won't be a flyin' around either!

Tripalot - Our TV is mounted above the cab, and the chairs do not swivel. I plan on a "full motion" flat screen mount, but haven't started looking yet. As far as eating space is concerned, we think simple folding overchair tables will do the job.

Accepting recommendations!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good - you did a nice job. Where do you eat? Do you have a portable table you can set up to use for additional working on space.
We have a rectangle dinette set up, which although comfortable, could be improved upon. I could not give up a nice table for dining and general use though.

Is your TV mounted above the driving area. If so, do your chairs swivel so you can see it without getting a sore neck?
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I had the u shaped dinette, too and your set up looks far more comfortable.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks very nice! (I personally would not want to give up my dinette, as I find having a "chart table" very handy, but that's no reason at all for you or anyone else to follow suit.

Did you bolt down or otherwise secure the chairs and table so that they wouldn't come skittering into the driver's seat in the event of a panic stop?