cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I learned about new big DPs at the Tampa RV show.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been a while since I've been to a RV show. O M Goodness, I thought Prevost and Newell DPs were the only ones on the heavy side with 365/70/22.5 tires... NOT. There were even Newmar Dutch Stars with 365s, not just the Mountain Airs with 365s. 54,000 GVWR and 8K of CCC = 46,000 dry weight with a front axle pushing 20K lbs. The pressure needed for the 365s on the front was listed at 125 psi, the 315s on the drive at 85, and the tag at 115. At least Tiffin has moved the fuel tank to in front of the drive axle letting them use 305s all the way around.

The majority of the big rigs were bath and a half which I do not understand taking up that much area for something we do not use that much... different strokes for...... There were also too many with not only dark exteriors but dark interiors... not that I'm looking to buy plus the show prices were all $400K or more.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
43 REPLIES 43

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Take up all that room and then you can't use it. Thanks for adding another reason why I don't want a bath and half as we boondock often.

Wow - folks get nasty about how many friggen bathrooms they have or want. Jeezoots! I guess at some point the majority of Class A owners are just old grumps. :B

Not sure what was "nasty" about my post... or anyone's else I did thank you for pointing out something I'd not thought about... higher water usage or often two sewer outlets if one is not a grinding toilet. The size and location of the waste tanks would be interesting to know.
I think the whole general tone of this thread is getting a little nasty, so maybe I read tone into your text. I tried to make a positive benefit, and you quickly turned it into a negative. That was all.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Take up all that room and then you can't use it. Thanks for adding another reason why I don't want a bath and half as we boondock often.

Wow - folks get nasty about how many friggen bathrooms they have or want. Jeezoots! I guess at some point the majority of Class A owners are just old grumps. :B

Not sure what was "nasty" about my post... or anyone's else I did thank you for pointing out something I'd not thought about... higher water usage or often two sewer outlets if one is not a grinding toilet. The size and location of the waste tanks would be interesting to know.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
I need to say here, We looked for a bath and half. We had some medical issues recently in our family ( colon cancer) and when nature calls, she needs to be answered immediately. That extra potty is worth its weight in gold to my fella. We always plan for at least one of those bathrooms to be available to him. So, heres my advice. If you don't want one, don't get one. If you want that extra potty, get it. Its preference and need folks. I hate the reverse snootiness that's coming across here.

The way I see it and need it or not, it doesn't take up all that much room in our 41ft floor plan. Just like a bunk model I saw a while back and thought what a great place for temp. storage, whether one ever needs the bunks or not. When daughter, hubby and kid come along, for a few days, there's plenty of sleeping room, as it is, but they always have a couple of suitcases that get in the way. The extra 1/2 bath comes in really handy with this scenario, but not like it doesn't get a lot of use anyway and sure do like the full one back on my side of the bed. In fact, with having a bedroom door, there's really no need to shut the bath door. Like I said, things were fine before, but we're not going back now. Also will continue to tow, which we didn't do for some years. Come to think of it, it's doubtful we'll ever go back to a gas puller, either and even though, I had many doubts about having them before.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I need to say here, We looked for a bath and half. We had some medical issues recently in our family ( colon cancer) and when nature calls, she needs to be answered immediately. That extra potty is worth its weight in gold to my fella. We always plan for at least one of those bathrooms to be available to him. So, heres my advice. If you don't want one, don't get one. If you want that extra potty, get it. Its preference and need folks. I hate the reverse snootiness that's coming across here.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
hey, there has to be a pecking order for "status". If I ever get another Class A it is going to be a dual engine diesel with three tag axles. Oh, also with 4 bathrooms, "4 potties, no waiting". take that you peons
bumpy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

Hey!! I resemble that remark..
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

A: they don't take up room (on my model), they extend the length with 2 bathrooms.

B: I can use it (Tecma), its just nice not to have to if I don't want when boondocking.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We wouldn't use more than 1 bath and also would not like the rear bath when traveling. We have a mid bath now and really like it. We will update our 17 yr old gasser rather than purchase a new that's filled with things we don't want, not will use. Buy quality the first time and you can make it last a long long time.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Probably irrelevant, but on our 1-1/2 baths, the rear is a Tecma maceration and the front is gravity. I've found that when dry camping it's nice to have the option to use the gravity only to extend your stay a bit.

Good point for those who have them, like us and those suckers do use up the water, don't they?
yeppers 🙂

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Probably irrelevant, but on our 1-1/2 baths, the rear is a Tecma maceration and the front is gravity. I've found that when dry camping it's nice to have the option to use the gravity only to extend your stay a bit.

Good point for those who have them, like us and those suckers do use up the water, don't they?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Only 0ne comment here; Don't knock the bath and a half until you have used one.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
With all these posts and comments, I will have to say that I am somewhat old school with my preferences.
We still have an elect/gas hot water tank.
Two overhead heat pumps.
Two gas fired forced air furnaces.
Gas cook top and oven, as well as micro/convection.
We also like our solid cherry wood cabinetry, corian and cedar lined closets, which should go without saying.
The last of CAT's slobber tube engines and above all, no adding of DEF with every so many fuel stops. Nope, we don't own the greenest one on the planet, but we're not about to junk it on that account, either.