cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On our way outwest this summer...

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
On our way outwest this summer we want to make a stop in Copper Harbor, Michigan. I know, I know... a little out of the way but...anyhow, would like some recommendations on things to see and things to do in Copper Harbor. Leaving Florida in May, returning in December. Have a cousin in Crystal Falls in the Yopper that we try to see every year but have never gone north north. Need ideas. Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds interesting Brian. Will add that to our itinerary. Those are the things I was hoping for when I made this post. Anymore ideas? Thanks!

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
on your way to houghton. kitch-iti-kipi
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
We were there right after the 4th of July so that is when we experienced the Black Flies - not sure if it is that regular but here is one answer from GOOGLE
Peak black fly season in Michigan is usually from mid-May to mid-June but the number of species we have means one can enjoy them well into August and early September if your are in the right place. The adult flies live for about two to three weeks. Only females bite.
here is a link to the article - has some good tips for avoiding the worst of them.
black flies and ticks
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

bobcatcharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the size of your rig, Houghton,MI has a wonderful full hookup campground that makes a very good base camp to see copper harbor by car. We go there every year in our DS 40'
2004 Dutch Star

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a few nice NF CG's in the UP that I liked. Bay furnace is one right on Lake Superior, water was cold but very clean. Saw the northern lights from that CG late one evening. There is a boat ride to Pictured Rocks which is nice. The north shore of Minn has some nice SP CG's also and is a pretty area.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
tyoungs, WHEN is black fly season?!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ft Wilkins State Park at Copper Harbor is the place to stay.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay up there a while there's more traveling east toward the lower Penninsula. Tahquamenon fall, Su St Marie's ( Su locks), st ignus, Mackinaw Island, Mackinaw city, Petosky, Traverse City. These all are great places to see.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
There's a old copper mine going up the peninsula from Hancok ( cross the bridge from Houghton). Not sure if still operation but the tour is awesome. It was one of the biggest mines for copper back in the day. They start at the steam house for the shaft shuttles. They take a short cog train down to the mine opening. Goes into the mine ( bring a jacket even if it's hot outside).

Go up to the old fort. Visit Lake in the clouds. There a bunch of other stuff to do in that area. If you head out towards the east the pictured rocks is another place to see, take the tour their too.

This is the mine to tour. There's another but this is the best.

http://www.quincymine.com/

Oh and there's a great city campground full hookup in downtown Houghton right on the river. They have covered patios behind your rig. About $35 night

http://www.cityofhoughton.com/rec-rv.php

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Drive up to the top of Mt Brockway and watch the sunset - got a really spectacular picture there one evening - just hope it is not black fly season, they can be nasty
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone goes to the local dump at dusk to watch the bears.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Rexlion, never heard of Thimbleberries but love raspberries and will for sure check out Thimbleberries. Thanks!

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands, we alternate East one year and West the next. We've been doing this 20+ years. Making another grand loop FL to MI to Montana to WY to NV to TX to LA back to FL. About eight months. We have a 39' 2015 Expedition bath and 1/2. How do you like your Excursion?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
M-26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor is a picturesque drive. Near Eagle River there's a neat looking monastery; I think they might offer tours, not positive, but at least stop and get a picture. There's a small waterfall just off the highway also.

McLain SP is right on the big lake. Ft. Wilkins SP is nice also and of course the historic fort may be of interest to you.

If you like raspberries, pick up a jar or two of the local thimbleberry jam; it's similar. I was there near the end of July and was able to find & pick a few thimbleberries around McLain.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point