cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nexus RV - honest mistake or something else? (updated 1/21)

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
This story is evolving so i'm going to update it as it goes...

We purchased what we thought was a 2015 Nexus Phantom 28p. We have been very happy with it. Great RV. Well we are upgrading and comes time to trade her in. Got a good trade value. Going through the paperwork and we come to find out that the title says 2014. Every sales contract and document we signed at Nexus says 2015. We go to the DMV to get the MSO and we are shocked to find out it said 2014. Now here is the kicker. The sales contract Nexus sent to our DMV had 2015 scratched out everywhere and replaced with 2014.

At this point we are trying to contact Nexus and looking for an explanation. Its about a $5000 trade value difference between a 2015 and 2014.

We are kinda speechless right now. To be continued....

Update 1/21 -

Most of the Nexus folks are down in Florida for an RV show so difficult to really get anyone. The one person we spoke to in finance said he would try to get the MSO for us. Havent heard back from him as of yet. We will try to get hold of Dave Middleton on Monday.

To answer some questions posted -

The Nexus was bought new direct from them. All paperwork that we signed when we went there to pick it up says 2015.

When we registered it after we got back, it was registered as a 2014. We assumed that was because the VIN corresponded to a chassis built in 2014. We didnt think that the registration of it corresponded to the model year. We didnt think it was a big deal because like ron.dittmer experienced, we always thought of it as a 2015 model, not 2014 chassis.

Captain, we really liked our Nexus and had nothing but good things from them till now. Was it a DMV mistake? We dont think it was because the sales contract that was mailed to our DMV had the 2015 model year crossed out and replaced with 2014. We were never notified of this and we have all the paperwork to document this. So I would like to believe it was an honest mistake, however it is difficult for us to believe so at this time.

Hopefully Monday we can get some answers and resolve this amicably.

For the record we have no intentions of hiring a lawyer or suing or anything of that sort. Just not worth the pain and time expense of it. We would just appreciate an honest explanation of what happened and we are going to chalk it up as a learning experience. Yes we are going to eat the difference in trade value.
21 REPLIES 21

Gbfanken
Explorer
Explorer
Any comments about the Nexus Super C performance? I understand by some other comments, the INVERT-ER is mounted near the water tank? AND is noisy ? MPG ? I am hearing 10-12mpg NO Toad!

Gbfanken
Explorer
Explorer
BzBoy, Thanks for all your information. We just signed up to build a 33SC from Nexus which will probably have a 2016 chassis and 2018 MH. Not yet built. The MaxxForce 7 engine stopped being made in December 2015, which means we might even get a 2015 chassis instead of a 2016 chassis. Sorry for your troubles, however we will watch ours very closely from Wisconsin.. Thank You!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Had same problem, VIN reflected 2003 chassis and bill of sale showed it as a 2004 model year Tioga. AAA wanted to insure the rig as a 2003, I had to provide AAA a copy of the bill of sale to get them to insure it as a 2004. When I sell the rig, I'll simply give the new owner a copy of the bill of sale to prove the correct model year.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon they use the the year of the completed (2nd stage) manufacture. Ours was incorrectly titled from the dealer. Took awhile to get it fixed but is now titled correctly. The agent at the DMV was willing to take the time to review the rules and found the 2nd mfgr requirement and changed the title to the correct year.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have actually seen as THREE year spread...I worked for a company that had two International shuttle buses that were 2002 bodies on 1999 chassis. This caused some headaches, since the base vehicle (International 3800) was completely redesigned for 2002.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
It is very conceivable to have a 2017 motor home built on a 2015 chassis.....a two year difference.

Its more common to see the two year spread right after 2008. Motorhome manufacturers were building large numbers of units and with the economic collapse, they got stuck with a lot of chassis' they had ordered. Winnebago built a number of Views on in 2010 on 2008 chassis'.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our old motor home was a 1984 Mirage built on a 1983 Toyota chassis. It was titled and plated in the state of Illinois as a 1983 because they go by the chassis VIN number, not the motor home manufacture VIN number. But for resale purposes, it was legitimately advertised as a 1984. I sold it with this explanation.

When we special ordered our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser, I insisted the chassis was also a 2007, just like the model year of the motor home. I never wanted to have that condition again.

Your problem is very common, and very understandable. The motor home manufacture releases their new model year many months sooner than the chassis manufacture. Adding that in slower times, motor home manufactures could have over-stock of previous model year chassis in their yard.

It is very conceivable to have a 2017 motor home built on a 2015 chassis.....a two year difference.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
bzboy wrote:
I can understand that the chassis possibly be a year older than the actual build. Sales invoice and sales contract says 2015. The VIN corresponds to a 2014 Ford chassis.

And thats right! The CHASSIS is a 2014 year..but the FINISHED COACH is a 2015 model year. Happens a lot especially with class C rv's
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The VIN is for the chassis. The 10th letter/number dictates the year of the chassis. If the letter/number is correct, you can't change the year model.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I went to register my RV all the government wanted was the VIN number. They typed that in and all the information came up from the previous owner ..... but the information was for the chassis and not the motor home. I did not care as it was no difference to me but I did ask and she said that they register the chassis and don't care what is on it. Now this is in Canada so may be different in the US.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2004 Class C on a 2003 E-450 chassis, but our title said 2004. We had a small issue with the drive train, and in my discussion with Ford, they said they start the warranty the year it was put into service.

Personally, I would try to get yours titled properly, in case you (or the next owner) need warranty work.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Here is an explanation from RIVA of how it works, if you need help getting it fixed with the DMV there is a Phone # at the bottom of the page.

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.

Great research job, Friend! I'd stumbled into that writeup and didn't leave enough breadcrumbs to get back to it.

Usually, if the Model Year is correctly assigned, the actual chassis year doesn't make much difference. But in some years, it really does. Under a Ford-bases Class C, I wouldn't care if the chassis under a 2007 coach was 2006 or 2007. Nor if it was 2008 or 2009 under a 2009 coach. But I WOULD care if a "2008" was on a 2007 Ford E-series chassis. 2008 was the year the front axle was upgraded, MUCH larger brakes, and the sheet metal re-style that makes a 2008 look "new" and a 2007 "older." I saw a website, I think it was Winnebago (and I hope I'm right this time!) mentioned that the current coach model year would have a chassis year change during the production run.

That said, Chassis Year can matter when buying parts. And, again on Ford, there have been mid-year parts changes. Catalog'll refer to "Before and After" chassis production dates.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is an explanation from RIVA of how it works, if you need help getting it fixed with the DMV there is a Phone # at the bottom of the page.

ANSWERS FROM RVIA: SPLIT MODEL YEARS

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has recently published a document entitled โ€œQ & Aโ€™s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.โ€ As the title infers, it relates to questions that can arise regarding the chassis manufacturerโ€™s model year and the model year assigned to the completed motor home by the final stage motor home manufacturer. Below is the original memo from RVIA for your reference and information.

Q & Aโ€™s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?

Motorhomes are โ€œmulti-stage vehicles.โ€ This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?

The first-stage manufacturer, also called the โ€œincomplete vehicle manufacturer,โ€ assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These โ€œincomplete vehiclesโ€ are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called โ€œcompleted vehicle manufacturers.โ€ The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the โ€œhouseholdโ€ systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (โ€œVINโ€) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, the VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a Manufacturerโ€™s Certificate of Origin (โ€œMCOโ€). The MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome?

An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences?

A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that yearโ€™s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturerโ€™s current model year on their final MCOโ€™s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCOโ€™s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year once year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the โ€œofficialโ€ model year of the vehicle is?

The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome?

Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (โ€œFTCโ€) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff option that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, โ€œModel Year โ€“ Not Applicableโ€ on the MCOโ€™s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis?

No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchases of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Do you still have the Bill of Sale from Nexus when you bought it? The model year should be on it, that's what they should be going by. You should have a copy of everything that you signed. If your signed copies are different than Nexus' signed copies, then obviously they made changes without you knowing. They shouldn't be re-writing anything that you signed. If that is the case, then it might not be a bad idea to get a lawyer involved. It is unlawful to change a contract after it has been signed.

It's one thing if the DMV registered it as a 2014 instead of a 2015 - that's not uncommon if the chassis is a 2014, but if Nexus sold you a 2015 and then changed the documentation after you purchased it, that's something different entirely.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)