cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV suggestions

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Got a call from the manufacturer and thus made a final decision: we'll be getting a wet bathroom retractable roof Alto 1723 R:
http://www.safaricondo.com/pdf/caracteristiques_alto_en.pdf

Now comes the TV need.

These are our local parameters based on storage and life style. A truck of any sort doesn't fit for us here.

The man is googly-eyed over some of Road Ranger's offerings but I have issues with the line's mpg, resale value AND towing abilities. Somehow I think he's having a name game moment; still love him.

I'm looking for a low maintenance vehicle with an engine that won't take us into white knuckle land going up hill. That's comfy for up to 3 people, possibly 4. That easily fits into an urban and road life and has a nice amount of storage (5 door?) for whatever usage. The highest mpg available.

TIA!
25 REPLIES 25

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a class C camper and sell it when you are done. Store it in NJ, or PA.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Gruu wrote:
In my humble opinion, if you are going camping and towing a trailer or anything else and gas mileage is your major concern, get a different hobby.

They are looking at very lightweight easily towable trailers.

As for your search, you are doing all the right homework on towing. With the trailers you're looking at finding a vehicle that is capable of towing them should not be an issue.

I would probably lean towards a Ford Escape 2.0 ecoboost with the towing package. 3500lb towing capacity with ~1000lb payload. This would tow a <2k lb trailer very well and still be a great urban car for your day to day driving.

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
In my humble opinion, if you are going camping and towing a trailer or anything else and gas mileage is your major concern, get a different hobby.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Update on TV dilemma.

Since we still have time (estimated delivery date of RV is Fall of 2017) we decided to wait until the NYC Spring Auto Show to make a decision.
The man frequently works for support firms during the show and can access the floor before it opens.

He wants to sit in each and every vehicle on our short list before we pull the plug as it were.
Fine by me 'cause if the primary driver is happy, so am I.

Still mulling through the lease a TV vs buy financial and tax thought.
Our taxes next year will be more complicated than our norm and I'm not singing the "Happy, happy, joy, joy" song in the proper key, LOL.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
GT928 wrote:
NYCgrrl. Noticed several of your posts on Safari Condo elsewhere. We love the Condos and were seriously looking at the fixed roof 1743 for our travels. We even talked to a local owner who was towing with a 6 cylinder Outback. We just couldn't wait a year+ for a TT. We had a Mercedes GLK350 that was perfect for towing the 1743. We had to trade it for a late model Jeep Cherokee Overland to tow the Earthbound TT we purchased. Just about anything can tow the Safari adequately, so what would you like to be driving while you explore the areas where you are camping?

I loved the extra space of the 1743 but couldn't step away from my awe/devotion to the retractable roof versions. Doesn't make me feel claustrophobic as a stay in place rental of a Prowler BH did.
So once we did a week long moving around rental of an "R" series Condo from CAM, we knew we'd found the right fit for us. Still, it took to the literal last minute to decide on bthrm style, LOL.

What would I like to drive whilst exploring? That's part of my problem. My head is all over the place. Urban or w/o towing, car could be a convertible; a Cooper; an Element and I'd/ maybe we'd be happy; LOL.

In some ways picking the TV is much harder than choosing the RV.

Maybe a lease is the answer to the problem and the best of both worlds.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
For any of the vehicles mentioned, payload will probably be the limiting factor, not towing weight. The trailer tongue weight (not dry weight, but loaded for travel) added to the fuel, passengers and cargo in the towing vehicle will almost always hit the limit before you get to the max trailer weight that the the vehicle will drag down the road.

Also, the shorter the wheelbase of the TV, the less stable it will tend to be for towing - you could be sliding into a potential for a "tail wagging the dog" scenario. The wind forces on the TT from crosswinds and passing trucks can be more than the TV is able to stabilize. A good anti sway system with your weight distribution hitch will help, but isn't a guarantee if the TV is too light.

I'm a fan of the 3.5 Ecoboost, but I know nothing about the Flex, so I can't help there. For any unibody vehicle, the hitch capacity is a limiting factor too. The chassis is not as strong as in a vehicle with a full frame, and thus the hitch simply can't take as much load.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl. Noticed several of your posts on Safari Condo elsewhere. We love the Condos and were seriously looking at the fixed roof 1743 for our travels. We even talked to a local owner who was towing with a 6 cylinder Outback. We just couldn't wait a year+ for a TT. We had a Mercedes GLK350 that was perfect for towing the 1743. We had to trade it for a late model Jeep Cherokee Overland to tow the Earthbound TT we purchased. Just about anything can tow the Safari adequately, so what would you like to be driving while you explore the areas where you are camping?
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'm in wuvv with the Volvo XC70 but am prolly dreaming. Commonsense says that one should stay away from semi- exotic cars whilst driving cross country, especially when one knows absolutely nothing about engines.

You'll be bumping up against the maximum towing capacity ratings with the XC70 and the trailer you've chosen.

Up here, in the Land of 10,000 Lutefisk dinners, the Volvo is ubiquitous, as are many other medium SUV's. This is the new soccer Mom transporter, replacing the mini-van as a family vehicle. There are heaps of Lexus E370's and BMW X5's running down the roads, especially in the Suburbs.

You will have a lengthier selection process when choosing a uni-body vehicle for towing. I've read where many are happy with a diesel Touareg or Mercedes SUV.

Out of any you have listed the Ford V6 Ecoboost is probably best mated for towing, disallowing any diesel models.

If your cross-country trip is going to be a one-off, have you investigated renting or leasing a vehicle for the trip and then buying an urban commuter?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we played "tag" going up the Inside Passage to Alaska with a couple from Florida pulling about a 25 foot Airstream with a Volkwagen Touareg.
They seemed pleased with performance. Obviously enough power to get them to Alaska. I think a little bigger than the Fords.
Good luck with your hunt. Finding that balance is tricky.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Have you changed your mind on which tt? Something with a dry weight of 4K will put the loaded weight out of range of all the midsize SUVs. That kind of weight will require a 1/2 ton truck or full size SUV. If you want to stay with a midsize SUV you need to be thinking a loaded weight of less than 4K

As for FWD or 4WD, doesn't really matter when towing on road. 4WD will be a want if you do a lot of off road towing or driving in snowy climates. Most of the midsize SUVs are based on car platforms and have AWD (all wheel drive) which is a bit different again. They are essentially 2WD most of the time but will automatically send power to the other wheel when slipping is detected. 4WD vehicles are usually not full time 4WD. They are usually RWD and have to be manually selected to 4WD when wanted and is not good for highway speeds or on dry pavement.

Thanks for correction on terms used! I'm literally taking driving lessons again (last time in the '80's and fortunately for the rest of youse, NYS, never saw fit to give me a license;)) and don't know my head from well other body parts:B. This is a requirement by the man who wants me to share the driving time on the trip. Hate when my love of the practical infects others and my own arguments are turned back on me....oops.

Anywho with that out of the way I'm considering the following vehicles:

Ford Flex w/ EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 engine. That one seems exceptionally large maybe even too big but time will tell.

Subaru Outback 6 cylinder

Ford Escape w/ EcoBoost. We've rented this in the past but the man thinks he dinna like the seat and maybe the acceleration; I think his memory is foggy but a trip to the car dealer will end that debate.

Personally, I'm in wuvv with the Volvo XC70 but am prolly dreaming. Commonsense says that one should stay away from semi- exotic cars whilst driving cross country, especially when one knows absolutely nothing about engines.

That's all I've researched and made appointments for a test drive at car dealerships so far.

Any opinions gladly welcomed.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Have you changed your mind on which tt? Something with a dry weight of 4K will put the loaded weight out of range of all the midsize SUVs. That kind of weight will require a 1/2 ton truck or full size SUV. If you want to stay with a midsize SUV you need to be thinking a loaded weight of less than 4K

As for FWD or 4WD, doesn't really matter when towing on road. 4WD will be a want if you do a lot of off road towing or driving in snowy climates. Most of the midsize SUVs are based on car platforms and have AWD (all wheel drive) which is a bit different again. They are essentially 2WD most of the time but will automatically send power to the other wheel when slipping is detected. 4WD vehicles are usually not full time 4WD. They are usually RWD and have to be manually selected to 4WD when wanted and is not good for highway speeds or on dry pavement.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
OK..........taking rcvd. info into consideration it seems like I should be looking at a dry weight of 4,000 lbs.

Now taking into account the driver's wants and our overall thinking for after towing, I'm looking at these vehicles as a TV:

Errrrrr but before I list anything ...could anyone tell me the difference between front wheel drive VS 4 wheel drive as it relates to towing capabilities?

An explanation would make me sound less like the noob I am ;).

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
A pickup truck doesn't fit well in NYC for a variety of reasons. Since I/we plan to sell our TT after using it for a continental tour but still keep the vehicle for local use I need to balance on the road usage with the realities of urban living.

I love all forms of RVing, but you might want to do the math and consider the cost of extra fuel and depreciation against driving an economical vehicle and staying in other facitlities.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
westend wrote:
I'd suggest to buy something made in the USA and forget about gas mileage.

I have read many of your posts thru the years. Can you expand your thoughts on this topic a bit? I have no problem with buying American made if it fits my needs but I'm not ready to give up on gas mileage w/o a compelling reason:).

Off to check on the other suggestions offered in this thread.
Keep em coming, people.
There are many good USA offerings that will probably work excellent for what you need to do. I am assuming what you need is a dual-purpose vehicle, one that will tow your RV with reasonable performance and also offer reasonable fuel mileage when used not towing. Since you're in NYC, parking is also a concern even if you own a driveway and garage (my Daughter lives in Brooklyn, BTW).

There have been multiple posts about having a tow vehicle that saves on gas and, IMO, the difference from the most thirsty vehicle and the most thrifty do not have a difference large enough to be concerned about MPG. This would be assuming typical use of around 20K mi/yr. I am driving around the "Black Valdez", daily, and really don't pay attention anymore. I'd suggest to crunch the fuel use totals and decide for yourself how important MPG is in the overview of driving.

Additionally, I'd much rather have a vehicle that safely and securely gets me and my trailer to my destinations, even at the expense of a few dollars of fuel. If you are new to towing, you're going to see how MPG is effected by towing. A vehicle that sports 25-30 MPG ratings on the highway is going to see the MPG plummet once it has the towed load on the back end. It is about the physics of the engine's peak performance and the addition of weight and drag. A smaller engine will suffer more loss of MPG than one with a larger engine.

Of course, there are those that engineer their towing combination to return the best MPG possible. I don't have a problem with it. It's just not my manner of accomplishing a similar goal.

Best of luck to you with the new rigs! It will be an exciting travel season, methinks.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton