cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 3 in New York

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
How would this stretch be from Watertown to Plattsburgh with a 40ft fifth wheel?
6 REPLIES 6

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We went across 3 pulling our trailer and didn't have any problems.

Except... Our GPS tried to send us on a dirt road for a shortcut to cut out one of the curves in Rt. 3. Just don't turn off the pavement. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

motthediesel
Explorer
Explorer
I only an hour or so from there, and have driven Rt3 many times. While it would be somewhat slower going than US11, it's not a bad drive, even for a big rig such as yours. I would describe that stretch of Rt3 as "hilly" more than mountainous, and curvy, but not twisty -- if you know what I mean.

US11 is OK too, just not as scenic IMHO. Rt 11B is just as direct, but on higher ground with some great long views north to the St. Lawrence River valley. Or, as the other poster said above, you could go all the way north and take Rt 37 right along the river. No matter which way you go, you'll wind up at Rouses Point to cross into Vermont.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We take RT3 all the time but we only go to Tupper Lake, Saranac, or Placid. If you do take RT3, Harrisville speed limits are strictly enforced.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
X2 go up to US11 and cross that way. Route 3 is a State Route and runs right thru the mountains. Route 11 for the most part is flat and easy drive.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Only reason I want to do 3 instead of 11 is I want to spend a couple days in the Adirondacks before heading over to Vermont. I'll take 3 to 87 to 11 into Vermont.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
3 is doable, but 11 is a better choice in my opinion. I've driven both in our motorhome...

I'll just add that if you have a little extra time, the run further north along the Seaway is a nice scenic ride.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate