Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Restoring EPDM roof for first time

voltrondon
Explorer
Explorer
Good day everyone,

I'm planning on restoring the EPDM roof on my Class A 2000 Southwind 42 foot RV this weekend and would love some feedback from anyone that has done this before. I have purchased a 5 gallon pail of liquid rubber made especially for RV roofs with EPDM. Here is the link to the product I bought:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01EV4EXG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I purchased some eternabond tape for the front and back seams and around all the roof top units.

Steps:
1- Sweep roof off with broom

2- Use mild laundry soap and medium bristle brush to scrub entire roof and rinse off with pressure washer. Let roof dry completely.

3- clean seams off for eternabond and apply eternabond and roll it on with metal seam roller.

4- apply tape along sides of roof and apply liquid rubber with a brush to all the trim areas along edges and over top eternabond tape and roof top units. remove tape immediately after completely trim application.

5- pour liquid paint directly from pail onto roof in required amounts stated on product instructions. Move paint around with roller for that area until even. Apply sections of liquid rubber until all roof is covered.

6- Let dry and complete steps 4-5 again for 3 total coats of liquid rubber.

7- Done

A couple questions about this plan:

1- Should I apply mineral spirits to clean the seams of glue before applying the eternabond tape? Or should I clean this with something else if its hard to get it clean?

2- How long should I let the rubber paint dry before another coat? And how thick a coat would you go? Would you do 2 or 3 coats of rubber?

3- Do I need a better cleaner or chemical activator before applying this liquid rubber to the roof?

Thanks for reading. I welcome any tricks, tips and critiques about my RV roof restoration plan.
16 REPLIES 16

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a commercial contractor, that has installed hundreds of thousands of square feet of EPDM roofs on commercial buildings, I can verify that we NEVER washed any roof after it was installed. :B
The usual warranty was 20 years and even tho it is the same EPDM material, in some instances it is thicker.

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
I read the article on EPDM maintenance and learned that treatments sold are not necessary, good news as less cost and less time on the roof.

One thought or question, why does the roof have to be scrubbed 4 times per year? Seems like the scrubbing only wears the roof and it's coating off that much sooner. What is the science in this helping to maintain the roof longer? Does dust settling on the EPDM cause deterioration?

And adding, I really would like to avoid climbing up there more than once per year to check the caulking around the protuberances.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

voltrondon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rgat, How would you apply it on a large surface? Im thinking little spray it on the roof with a spray bottle maybe and scrub it in with the brush and then wash off? Or maybe spray it on quickly and then just wash it off without the scrub? Or apply and scrub with a rag (hard job on a big roof)?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acetone and denatured alcohol can be purchased by the gallon at Home Depot or Lowes. Both are a solvent and are very good for cleaning things. They are not petroleum derived but they are solvents and should not be dumped on the roof. Use them sparingly so that they can evaporate quickly.

voltrondon
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of great info everyone, thanks so much. I feel a lot more comfortable moving forward with the restoration. I decided to use the mineral spirits only on a rag to wipe on the caulking to get off the tough on grime for which the eternabond can adhere to better.

But I'm not touching the epdm roof with no petroleum distillate at all, not even a damp mineral spirit rag. Although the website that sells my liquid rubber says to use acetone as a conditioner on the roof?? I guess it drys quickly, surprised by this?? I'm thinking just a good scrub with a brush and mild detergent is good for me and rinse it completely with warm water.

gbopp, very helpful reply, thank you. I like that idea with a 2 inch strip along the rain gutter to stop little leaks in behind there too. I hope I have enough 4 inch eternabond tape to do everything. I don't get why the 2 inch eternabond is so expensive, almost the same price as 4 inch tape. Why not just cut the 2 inch tape in half?

Thanks so much for the pics magik, that helps a ton.

- Can I use acetone to condition the EPDM roof since it drys so fast and I don't think it's a petroleum-derivative??

- Where can I buy a primer for the roof? I need to do the job this weekend so I hope I can get it from home depot or something.

- How do I apply the Denatured alcohol to clean the epdm roof? With a spray bottle? or put it on a rag? Should I use this to clean the epdm roof? This seems like the best product to condition the roof and allow for the best adhesion of the liquid rubber.

I have to start this job tomorrow so Just need to know the best way to get this liquid rubber to adhere good to the roof and not peel.

Thanks so much

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For what it is worth; EPDM care

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Eternabond calls for using mineral spirits to prep the area. It works well and doesn't harm the membrane.
Eternabond works great as long as you follow the directions to the letter. Fail and of the steps and it may lift - as many member here have found.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd clean only with a hose end sprayer with mild soap/degreaser. Elbow grease is a plus though ๐Ÿ™‚ Scrub, rinse.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with NOT using mineral spirits, or any petroleum product, on the EPDM roof.
Denatured alcohol should can be used to clean any areas that will be coated.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't use mineral spirits on a rubber roof.
if you are using a pressure washer to carefully rinse, why not to carefully wash with soap injection?
bumpy

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you are doing a great job with your project, unfortunately you will still have a rubber roof. I had rubber roof membrane failure after 5.5 years service. Moisture was leaking "through" the membrane not the more common caulking leaks. I full time and constant worry about roof issues was eating me up and after the membrane failure was discovered I made a decision.

It wasn't cheap, but then a new RV after a leak that wasn't found in time isn't cheap either and a new rubber roof made no sense to me. So my solution was RV Flex Armor.

My interior is quieter due to the thickness of the new roof and a lifetime no leak guarantee. I sleep much better now and zero caulking that will fail and zero rubber roof that has failed.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Last summer I restored the roof on our 96 Southwind. I used Heng's Rubber Roof Coating, it required no primer.
Tide powdered detergent was recommended to clean the roof. Dawn liquid will make peel.

Clean the area well with mineral spirits before applying the Eternabond. I used a metal roller to press the E/bond. Some use a wood roller, I think a metal roller does a better job, I tried both.

Along the edge of the roof I used 2" Eternabond, about 1/2 inch on the rain gutter. I would have used 4" but because of the curve on the roof I was concerned it would not lay smoothly. The Eternabond is really sticky. The 2" did a great job.

I used a 4" roller to apply the coating. I put on a very light first coat and left it dry overnight. The second coat went on nicely, basically like paint.
So far it looks good and is holding up to the sun, wind, rain and Pennsylvania's freeze/thaw cycles.

I'll do any touch ups as needed. I used about 2 1/2 gallons. The actual roof is 30'.

Your plan sounds good. Personally, I wouldn't use a pressure washer. But, you know the possible problems so just be careful.
My only advice would be, don't get in a hurry. Take your time and double check everything as you do the restoration. Thoroughly roll the Eternabond and it will stick properly.

Definitely overlap the Eternabond seams.

My only regret is, I didn't do it sooner.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I overlapped my seams.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a product that uses a primer. That way it won't peal
off. After that you can clean and touch up after time.
I've done two.