cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Question: 6V vs 12V

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
My house batteries need to be replaced. I have four 6 volt batteries. I do not have a lot of clearance - the current batteries are 9.5 inches to the top of the case (not the top of the water plugs). Golf cart deep cycle batteries are over 10 inches tall. I can find 12V deep cycle batteries that are shorter.

Is there any reason why I could not put four 12V deep cycle batteries in there and wire them in parallel? Wouldn't that give me more capacity anyway?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star
14 REPLIES 14

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Then 4 batteries is a good choice for dry camping. I just thought being able to lay the batteries down would be a good idea for you. Yeah, they cost more, but there's zero maintenance.

Camp on!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I read the posts. I already have a battery watering system so I do not mind using flooded batteries. I like to keep my options open if I end up dry camping.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You read all the posts ?

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the input here, I realized that the measurements given were to the top of the terminals and not the top of the battery. I should have realized that but....

Anyway, most golf cart batteries are close to 9.5 inches to the top of the case which is what I have so I found 4 golf cart batteries that should work. I am going to try and install them this weekend.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go for the 12's, and parallel as you say. If you get into a jam for space, even lawn tractor batteries can work (very short life for anything 12v but if you just need something there...).
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not dry much it may be enough to just buy 2 - or even one decent size 12 volt? You know better what your needs are those times when you do dry camp, but just saying.
The exact height will vary a bit with the terminal type.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
No, I do not do a lot of dry camping. I hardly ever dry camp. .... I am trying to find true deep cycle batteries that will fit in there.
You can get rid of the battery watering and the corrosion if you get just one AGM. That's all you need, and will 'save' you the money you're going to spend on 4, which you don't need.

AGMs can be laid down on their sides...or any position which suits your height requirements. Cool huh?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
No, I do not do a lot of dry camping. I hardly ever dry camp. I am trying to find true deep cycle batteries that will fit in there.

If you "hardly ever" dry camp, there is little point in spending the extra money on "deep cycle" batteries.

Unless maybe when you are without shore power you tend to run them WAY down before recharging.

P.S. Unless you go with high end AGMs, 5 years is pretty good for a set of batteries.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
No, I do not do a lot of dry camping. I hardly ever dry camp. I am just concerned about clearance. I have a battery watering system so I would like to stay with the flooded batteries since they are less expensive. The batteries are in a drawer and it is tight now to pull the drawer out.

When I purchased the coach, it was used and the dealer that was selling it went on the cheap with everything they did, including replacing the batteries. The ones that are in there are not deep cycle batteries and they are now failing after 5 years. They had been using more water so I had them tested and they are not good. So I am trying to find better batteries to replace them with - true deep cycle batteries.

I will go out there and measure carefully to the top of the terminals and see what clearance I really have. I measured the height of the battery box itself which is 9.5 inches. I am trying to find true deep cycle batteries that will fit in there.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan t-105 6 volt batteries, which are very common, are speced as 9.69" to the top of the case, you say yours are 9.5". Are you sure you have 'short' batteries? They spec them as 11.15 but that is to the top of the terminals.
Capacity depends on which type 12 volt batteries you replace them with. Yes you could get more *usable* capacity with 12 volt AGMs, but they are pricey. In general 6 volt batteries are more package efficient for multibattery installs.
Do you do a lot of dry camping that requires more capacity than 4?

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most 6volt golf cart batteries are the same dimensions for the same amp hour rating . Not sure why new ones would be taller. True 12 volt deep cycle batteries are larger ( wider and longer) and hard to find . 4 won't fit in the same space as 4 golf carts. And no you won't maintain the same amp hours . Are you wanting to replace 4 deep cycle 6 with smaller starter or "marine" 12 volt batteries ? As already said if you don't ever "boondock or overnight without power then even two 12 volt marine batteries . might be just fine. Giving power for a few hours.
Bill

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you almost always plugged in? Maybe just one or two 12v would be fine.
Or do you have a large 2000+ watt inverter that needs 4+ batteries?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It won't give you more capacity.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the next best thing to a set of 6's is a set of 12's.