cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Atlantic itinerary check

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning 4-5 weeks in NB, PEI and NS this year. Plan to arrive (from NC) mid-Aug but that is flexible. We've never been up there so we have an initial draft of an itinerary that I'd like to run by those of you in the know. I picked the campgrounds based on the rv park reviews site.
We have a 33' 5th wheel and a diesel dually. Interests: scenery, nature, history, birding, golf, easy hikes. In order:
A 7 night stay between St. Andrews and St. John (New River Beach Prov. Park). Maybe leave the RV there for a day and take the ferry over to Grand Manan Isl. for an overnight at a B&B.
4 nights Moncton (Stonehurst). The usual sights plus would like to day trip up to Kouchibouguac NP.
Then near Baddeck for 5 nights (debating between Baddeck Cabot Trail CG or further north at North Sydney Cabot Trail KOA), Dartmouth 4 nights (Shubie Park), near Annapolis Royale 4 nights (Cove Oceanfront), in that order. Not sure if this is too much moving around, or if a few nights more would be wise.
Take the ferry to PEI, base at New Glasgow Highlands for 8 nights.
Leave PEI via the bridge and start heading home with maybe an overnight before the border.
12 REPLIES 12

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Louisbourg Fortress......... it is outstanding.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
To edit any post you have to have that post open on your computer. I think, to edit the title line, you need to be in post #1, click on edit and try. It's been a long time since I tried that.

Or, go to the section called "Forum Technical Support" via that menu in the frame on the upper right hand side of this page.

- Browse around and if you're lucky you'll find the how on your own, but

- If push comes to shove, you post in FTS and a mod or Admin will tell you how.

Even so the world is not going to come to and end if the thread title stays as is.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to change the Topic line, but we are visiting just the Maritimes.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Corrections.

When you get down here locals will appreciate local spellings and terminology.

Saint John, NB vs. St. John's, NL

Maritimes = the 3 provinces which joined Canada in the 1800s., namely New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. & of course, the conference that started Confederation was in Charlottetown, PEI, hence the term, Cradle of Confederation.

Atlantic Canada = Joey Smallwood's term to add in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, which joined Canada in 1949. Per your trip outline, you are just visiting The Maritimes. Your trip would need to be at least 2 weeks longer to include all 4 of Atlantic Canada's provinces.

Your trip is yours alone. It is what pleases you. This is beautiful part of the world. You're bound to miss parts you would enjoy. Be flexible. Think, we might want to change.

Enjoy

:B

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Just our style. Eveyone has their own preferences on how they like to travel.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the aversion to moving CGs every few days? How much time is spent unhitching & re hitching vs commuting to & from some attraction? A trip like this is not like a weekend at the local CG where people unload about everything out of the camper for 2 nights.

For us traveling setting up can be as minimal as parking, unhitching, plugging into the power & that is it. No chairs out, no grill out, no awning out, no silly lights out, no mat out, no hooking up the water, no sewer hook up. We are not there for the CG. We are there for what is in the immediate area. Easy day trips with plenty time to stop & enjoy the scenery.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for a better located base for the SW end of NS than the Halifax/Dartmouth? It's hard to judge travel times by looking at distance only. We'd rather stay in one spot for a week and take day trips instead of moving camp every few days.
I see a couple of campground possibilities near Lunenburg, if that area has more of interest.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to see the boat basin at Alma at low tide AND high tide. Take pictures same views. In NS no trip is complete without a visit to Lunenburg & Peggys Cove. There is a good city CG within easy walking distance of the Lunenburg waterfront. A drive out to Blue Rock is well worth the time. Not sure if Halifax is worth 4 nights but Shubie Park is a decent CG.

We spent 2 months doing the Maritimes last year & never made it to PEI. We did spend a month of that time on NL which was the main destination of the trip. Don't know where the time went.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Horizons28
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we just made reservations at Fundy NP, thanks for that suggestion.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on Fundy.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Some MUSTS.

Campobello Island and neighboring Maine.
One can take the bridge to Campobello and then a ferry to Deer Island then Grand Manan. Lots up your alley on all. Include getting to The Bakery on Grand Manan well before opening to get your place in line.

Agree on Fundy

Think things Acadian.

Louisbourg Fortress, good day or more.

Whycocomagh, prov. cg, Farmer's Daughter.

PEI, remember to cross the central hinterland more than once. Orwell Historical Village. Farmer's Markets, esp. Charlottetown.

:B

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You should plan a stay at Fundy National park and Hopewell Rocks .for a couple of days. Lots of scenery and things to see.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley