cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advise on Satellite choice

Mimz1
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our house and are living in our 5th wheel. We can't decide what kind of satellite to purchase. We have a 2014 Palomino Condo. Hookup for satellite and cable are on hookup panel. We're going to be in the same spot for 3 months. Please advise.
33 REPLIES 33

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
how about changing from a King Quest with DTV to Dish? Would I need to buy a King Quest specifically for Dish?

Yes, you'll need a different dish. I'd suggest the Winegard Pathway X2 over anything King offers since it will work with either Dish satellite arc. All of the portable domes limit your receiver choices, but on the plus side, with Dish you'll get HD reception that's not available on DTV with a dome.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
how about changing from a King Quest with DTV to Dish? Would I need to buy a King Quest specifically for Dish?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Whew ! Glad we got THAT cleared up..............................:)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK,the Dish Trav'ler cannot be changed to DirecTV HD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Buy a Winegard Trav'ler. I like DirecTV best due to satellite location and simplicity of setup but make a choice between Dish and DirecTV before purchase as the Dish version of the Trav'ler cannot be changed to Dish in the future ???? .

dish can't be changed?
bumpy

Right.

I think you have a typo in your above post, Bill.

"...the Dish version of the Trav'ler cannot be changed to Dish..."
Dutch

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Buy a Winegard Trav'ler. I like DirecTV best due to satellite location and simplicity of setup but make a choice between Dish and DirecTV before purchase as the Dish version of the Trav'ler cannot be changed to Dish in the future ???? .

dish can't be changed?
bumpy

Right.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Not quite true... Forgetting about a portable dome style dish would be correct for that situation. Portable tripod mounted multiple satellite dishes do bring in programming from more than one satellite at a time when connected to a compatible receiver.

Understood. Was responding to those suggesting a tailgater and such.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
Odd Job wrote:
I want to get a satellite system for the toy hauler that allows us to watch two separate stations on two separate televisions at the same time.

Forget about a portable dish if you want to watch two different channels on two different satellites.

Not quite true... Forgetting about a portable dome style dish would be correct for that situation. Portable tripod mounted multiple satellite dishes do bring in programming from more than one satellite at a time when connected to a compatible receiver.
Dutch

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Odd Job wrote:
I want to get a satellite system for the toy hauler that allows us to watch two separate stations on two separate televisions at the same time.

Forget about a portable dish if you want to watch two different channels on two different satellites.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart has a KING VQ4550 Tailgater Bundle with DISH HD Receiver for $317. Great deal and it works well. You'll hear horror stories about setting it up but I didn't have a problem.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/KING-VQ4550-Tailgater-Bundle-with-DISH-HD-Receiver/55012462
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

dish can't be changed?
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a Winegard Trav'ler. I like DirecTV best due to satellite location and simplicity of setup but make a choice between Dish and DirecTV before purchase as the Dish version of the Trav'ler cannot be changed to DirecTV HD in the future while the DirecTV version of the Trav'ler can be changed in the future if necessary.
You would then be able to install a Genie DVR (5 tuners) and a separate mini-genie at each TV (wireless). Each TV would have full access to any channel plus they would all be connected to the DVR so they could stop and rewind at any time. Dish has a similar receiver called the Hopper (3 tuners) and uses remotes called Joeys.
Edit: Corrected wording.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one of my Dish receivers is a dual channel one, can do what you want easily. I have another receiver 211? that is HD.
bumpy

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Odd Job wrote:
I do imagine that you all have covered this a dozen times, but here is my situation... I have a 32' toy hauler with three (3) televisions. Two are inside, one is outside. I use the toy hauler primarily for camping. However, I also entertain business clients at college football games and NASCAR races where television is critical to our entertainment... I want to get a satellite system for the toy hauler that allows us to watch two separate stations on two separate televisions at the same time. Cost is an issue, however I do not mind paying for better equipment if it gets me to my goal. What I will not do is purchase an upgraded service plan that we do not need. I would appreciate your input and recommendations. Thanks in advance for your time.

I use Dish on a tripod with a 622 receiver and we watch 2 different channels all the time.
cpaulsen