Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first time buying a new truck

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hey all. looking for opinions

new 2016 F150 (left on the lot) with XLT pack (some toys) and the 5.0 but has 331 gears and 7000 gvwr package

or 2017 ram no toys but standard gears.

opinions on gears (my tow rig wont top over 5000lb) looking for milage without feeling like a dog

longevity (I know the hemi has been out longer but the 5.0 seems well liked) I keep vehicles a long time and want to keep her running

the aluminum body of the ford (I live in the rust belt

any other little quirks
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
37 REPLIES 37

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm biased but I do like white trucks. Congrats and it looks great - I bet it will serve you very well.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
congrats, nice looking truck.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Much thanks MFL. looking forward to picking her up this Saturday. Now if only the Jeep next to it didn't have to go.....

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jebby14 wrote:
shes white. soon to be white with black trim. if someone's willing to post a pic for me shoot me an email address and ill send it.

Here is a pic of Jebby14's new truck, it's a beauty, I like white!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ also although I LOVE the pinery my furnace is not exactly reliable and as much as the daughter and myself would love it, the wife and the baby would not. Once again gotta keep momma happy.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
shes white. soon to be white with black trim. if someone's willing to post a pic for me shoot me an email address and ill send it.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
We go to the pinery PP for march break on occasion ,its open all year.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That will give plenty of break-in time, before you start towing. Congrats, glad you got the deal done, and nice to start out new. Just curious, what color did you get?

Jerry

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the support guys feeling better now that its done. daughter asked me a few days ago when we could go camping (since its abnormally warm here) was sad to tell her not for a few months.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Jebby! I hope it lasts a long time, makes you happy, and provides many safe trips.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
done deal. papers signed pick it up saturday

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and good luck. Smart move too. For the price you pay for a 3yr old truck with low miles, for not much more you can buy new. Trucks hold their value too well to consider used, but that's just me.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sling bump in the road (delay to to projectile vomiting children this weekend) but we have reached an agreement. I am buying the new (old stock) 2016 f150 I mentioned. I wanted used (never spend more than 7k on a vehicle and have always paid cash) but they aren't depreciating and the good used ones around here get shipped down to you guys after a few weeks on the lot (because our dollar is in the crapper) new will cost me roughly 6.5k more than 3 years old with god knows what for a service record and maintenance after you take off my A plan and Costco discount and the almost 9k in discounts for it being left from last year. long and the short I get a 48k truck for 36k and at the end of the day payments are pretty much the same. thanks for all the help guys

cant upload pics here since the internet police will get me. if someone throws up their email ill send pics to be posted.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
hey all. looking for opinions

new 2016 F150 (left on the lot) with XLT pack (some toys) and the 5.0 but has 331 gears and 7000 gvwr package

or 2017 ram no toys but standard gears.

opinions on gears (my tow rig wont top over 5000lb) looking for milage without feeling like a dog

longevity (I know the hemi has been out longer but the 5.0 seems well liked) I keep vehicles a long time and want to keep her running

the aluminum body of the ford (I live in the rust belt

any other little quirks

Your 5k rig, is that loaded, ready to camp weight or a dry weight?

If that's your loaded weight, I'm sure you'll be ok, but as others suggested, check that yellow drivers door jamb sticker and see what your max payload figure is. Then deduct the weight of all passengers, cargo, hitch and tongue weights from that figure and see where your at.

Pulling wise I'm sure you'd be fine. 1/2 ton trucks run out of payload before you hit that tow rating figure.

I'd personally go with the 5.0 if it was me. Before i bought my prior 15 Silverado, i test drove a 14 F150 with the 5.0 and 3.73s and it felt very stout. If your only going to be towing 5k msx loaded weight, the 3.31s will probably be ok. I'd want a steeper gear though. Just as I wish my new dodge had the 4.10s. But as in your case, the 3.73s in my truck are just fine for what I'm doing with it.

Ps, i agree with the OEM trailer tow mirror suggestion. It's one of the reasons I traded out of my 2015 Silverado. Chevy dealer wanted $1200 to put them on that truck and the Longview slip on ones were horrible. I just couldn't see putting that much money into that truck, $900 to upgrade to load range E tired and still have a 1/2 ton truck. I didn't have much right side visibility and the left wasn't great either. If you can get a truck that has them on right away, i would. If you camp a lot, just the convienance of not taking them on and off all the time is worth it.

If you haven't already decided. I'd give the ram a hard look. I really like my dodge and I'm a Ford man. I could have bought an extended cab long bed F250, 2016 model year, but went with the 17 ram. Just liked it better all around and you very more options for less money than the Ford. The ford is very nice though, no doubt about it. All trucks from the big 3 are these days. You can't go wrong with any of them.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.