cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving unit plugged in 24/7

Redrker5150
Explorer
Explorer
Who leaves their unit plugged in 24/7. Just bought a new 2017 Montana, 3rd 5th wheel, 5th Rv. I have a 30amp pole at my home that I leave my unit plugged into all the time. Ive done this with all my units for 30yrs with no problems. In fact I prefer to leave it plugged in even in the winter. My new Montana's converter fan runs continuously even with nothing on. No load! I called the dealer to schedule a repair and they acted like I am the only person they have ever heard of that leaves it plugged in. For starters its a Montana! Its a full time living coach! Its meant to be plugged in all the time. The dealer then told me while its not being used to unplug and turn the battery disconnect off. I disagree and will get my converter fan problem repaired under warranty, but was just wondering how many other people out their do the same thing? In the summer time I even keep the fridge on with condiments, ice and beer.
Waterford Mi
2015 Duramax
2017 Montana 3660
34 REPLIES 34

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I could leave my rig plugged in 24/7 but since I'm not running any appliances, I let the solar charging maintain my batteries.

If your converter supplies a float voltage above 13.6 V, you'll need to monitor electrolyte levels, occasionally, if using flooded batteries.

If you live in Northern climes, you'll want to make sure that you have continuous float voltage or monitor the battery's State Of Charge to insure that the batteries don't discharge and freeze.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We are STILL posting what we do with our electrical system. The OP's may be VERY different.

Smart vs "stupid" converter or charger should dictate what the OP does, NOT what we do with perhaps different systems.

Again, if the OP comes back and posts exactly what equipment they have, we can certainly offer sage advice for THEIR RV.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
My post was pertaining to lead acid batteries, not SLA, or agm, same thing.
I had bought 2 35 AH EV agms from Batteries Plus. I been floating them at the normal 13.2. So I just called Batts Plus, and they advised all their AGMs should float at 13.3 max, but that is at 68 deg room temp.
So I would still wonder why float higher, and take the chance of drying them up prematurely. One AGN floats higher than another AGM ?? Why ? Because the MFG thinks so ? What will his thought be next year ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plugged in most of the time... fridge is turned off over winter with doors open.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rich,

What you're mentioning above probably does not apply to AGM dry lead acid batteries, as no gases or fumes of any kind leave them unless their internal pressure gets high enough to force their one-way valve open a bit here and there.

To open this valve would most likely take higher continuous voltages than the common 13.2 float voltage value at just about any temperatues one could stand to drive in or camp in.

However, it looks to me like the internal chemistry in AGM batteries can in fact be adjusted by design. For example, I matched my AGM batteries' 77 degree recommended float voltage to my charger's nominal 77 degree output voltage to make sure my batteries's valves would most likely never open during long floats at all conceivable ambient temperatures. This 77 degree float voltage value for my batteries is 13.6 volts, not the common liquid acid float voltage of 13.2 volts. I did not purchase Lifeline AGM batteries because their specified float voltage was the common 13.2 volts used for liquid lead acid batteries. I called them and they refused to budge on this specified float voltage - stating that their AGM batteries would slowly "dry out" (i.e. lose water vapor throuugh their one-way valve) over time if floated at 13.6 volts over their lifetime. Hence, I purchased another brand of AGM battery.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Believe anything you want to. But I'm tellin you that lead acid batteries all have the same float voltage, what ever that mite be. They all use the same electrolyte, and that is what determines the proper float voltage, not just because the battery has a different name on it, or that a MFG decides to try something different for a change ??

There is no way a batt MFG can give a correct float voltage w/o giving the ambient temperature along w/ it. Truth be known, (find a chart) proper float voltage is cold weather will be well over 14 volts, where as in hot weather it better not be over 13.2.
Now, there goes your batt MFGs recommended float voltages !!
So, go ahead and float your batteries (any) at 13.6 in hot weather, and see what happens !

And then there are so many here that have been falsely led into thinking that floating at too hi a voltage, is no problem, as long as you keep pouring water to them,....as if water is the only thing leaving the battery ?? Well, what is that nasty acid smell when a battery is floating at 13.8 in hot weather ??
I, and I'd bet many others have proved years ago that having to water a battery often, will shorten its life by a lot !

dawzie wrote:
Have a 2016 Montana 293RK purchased 7/16. Plugged in most of the time 24/7. Have a WFCO WF-9800 series converter. My fan runs variable speed and only on load. Fan is starting to growl when it runs, so adding that to repair list when we return to the northeast.

Did not know there are batteries with different float charge rating. My dealer installed a NAPA RV battery, so I will check into that.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2016 Montana 293RK purchased 7/16. Plugged in most of the time 24/7. Have a WFCO WF-9800 series converter. My fan runs variable speed and only on load. Fan is starting to growl when it runs, so adding that to repair list when we return to the northeast.

Did not know there are batteries with different float charge rating. My dealer installed a NAPA RV battery, so I will check into that.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our motorhome sits in the backyard when we're not using it. It's plugged into an outside outlet on the house all the time and the converter in the motorhome is switched into the motorhome's 12V system 24/7 - except for maybe during a run of extremely hot days in the summer.

HOWEVER, I use only batteries in the motorhome that are specified to be floated at the same voltage as the stock converter puts out - around 13.6 volts DC. Many batteries used in RVs are specified to be floated at around 13.2 volts DC. I'm careful not to use these in our rig.

The set of batteries in the RV that we last replaced went around 8 years and when we replaced them they were still working fairly well, but we replaced them "just in case".
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Redrker5150
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I've also been told that keeping the unit plugged in and using the fridge does promote longevity vs letting everything set and powering it on for just a couple of days then sit again.
Waterford Mi
2015 Duramax
2017 Montana 3660

Redrker5150
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I always keep an eye on the battery. And again the manufacturer says the fan should not run with no load applied . I appreciate everyone s input but this thread was more about keeping the unit plugged in, not so much about the converter.
Waterford Mi
2015 Duramax
2017 Montana 3660

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
My last two stayed plugged in with fridge on all the time unless they were on the road. The only issues I ever had was one had a board fail on the refrigerator that I replaced with a Dinosaur, the other one no issues.
I full timed for 4 years in the second one.
I have a friend who full timed for years in a 1973 Airstream, never an issue and the original Dometic refrigerator still works. Maybe leaving them on contributes to longevity.

When full timing I never exceeded 60 dollars a month during the heat of the summer running a/c here in the south. During the winter months it was around 20 per month.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
24 /7 for me, I always have with no problems and the battery stays charged, (just remember to check the battery once in a while, I do this every couple of weeks)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Redrker5150 wrote:
Progressive Dynamics PD4500

This Progressive Dynamics 4500 Spec Sheet indicates your converter has an "auto-variable speed" fan ... perhaps that means it always is running, even if slowly at times, and isn't intended to completely shut off? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Redrker5150
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Dynamics PD4500
Waterford Mi
2015 Duramax
2017 Montana 3660