cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Carolina to UP of Michigan trip this Sept/Oct

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a three week trip from South Carolina to the UP of Michigan at the end of September into October. We plan on going into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie for a couple days then back south over to Green Bay and up to Washington Island before heading back south. Research shows plenty of camp grounds. We hope to catch the color foliage just right and hope to find space at the many camp grounds as we not going to make any reservations in advance.

I welcome any advice on camp grounds, attractions and the crossing into Canada. My wife and I will be traveling in our 30" MH. Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
12 REPLIES 12

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If you like hiking, the Chapel Loop at Pictured Rocks is a top 10 along with the Escarpment Trail in the Porcupine Mountains.

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info from everyone! Thanks, keep them coming. So much to see, not enough time!
Patrick
Semper Paratus

RossAnabel
Explorer
Explorer
The NW lower peninsula of Michigan is interesting too. Along with the Sleeping Bear Dunes as has been already mentioned, the entire Lelanau Peninsula is beautiful and worth exploring. The Mission Peninsula north of Traverse City is wine country. Fishermans Island SP is a favorite of ours and nearby Charlevoix is a neat stop. An interesting stop in the UP that was not mentioned is Fayette SP, a restored ghost town, and nearby Kitchitikipi (sp) spring. Trivia: The Big Spring was the destination via steamship and stagecoach, of my maternal grandparents for their honeymoon in 1900.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:
Plan on nasty weather! We left the UP after Labor Day (Spent the entire summer there) and by that time the North wind was brisk and very chilly!

Oh my! ๐Ÿ™‚ Not every year is the same. It can be absolutely beautiful.

X2. I used to live there and there were beautiful days after Labor Day.
In Escanaba - average high in Sept. 67 F. Average low in Sept. 49 F.
That sounds like good camping weather to me. Yes, there can be days that are cold and nights with frost, but that is true in many states in September. Fall is a great time to experience the U.P. Brilliant fall colors and bugs are long gone. If you camp right on Lake Superior with no trees between you and the lake and the wind is from the north, you can expect strong winds and colder temps, but camp a few miles inland and you will be just fine.

Escanaba MI averages: (near Lake Michigan/southern UP)
Sep 1 - Avg. Low is 53ยฐ Average High is 71ยฐ
Sep 15- Avg. Low is 49ยฐ Average High is 67ยฐ
Sep 30- Avg. Low is 44ยฐ Average High is 61ยฐ

Marquette, MI averages: (near Lake Superior/northern UP)
Sept 1 - Avg Low is 48 Average High is 68
Sept 15 -Avg Low is 44 Average High is 63
Sept 30 -Avg Low is 39 Average High is 58

More info here at the source of these weather records:
link here

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
Plan on nasty weather! We left the UP after Labor Day (Spent the entire summer there) and by that time the North wind was brisk and very chilly!

Oh my! ๐Ÿ™‚ Not every year is the same. It can be absolutely beautiful.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this thread - lots of good suggestions:
Link here

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Auen-Osborn campground in St Ste Marie on the Michigan side. Right on the water.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Did that area for a couple weeks last year. Not much issue finding places to stop, but many campgrounds close 9/30. Some of the UP area attractions close after Labor Day. Check with places you want to see if they could possibly close. Side benefit for visiting that time of year? Not many mosquitos!
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Peak color ranges from the last week of September to the first two weeks of October - depending on the weather. If Fall is rainy then the leaves will fall fast. Regardless, it will be a very nice trip! The state parks are great but check their closing times. There are also nice forest service campgrounds.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Couple years ago we did similar trip, didn't go into Canada, started Sept 17 ending on Oct 6. Saw some color, but mostly I think we were about a week too early. Also didn't make any reservations and had no problem finding campgrounds.
Many things to do, don't know how to send you my iternery that I saved.

attractions: Elkhart-RV Hall of Fame
went up west side of MI-South Haven, Silver Lake Dunes, Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat Lakeshore
over to Mackinaw City-Mackinac Island
to Sault Ste Marie-watching boats/ships on Lake Michigan/Lake Huron, Soo Locks
west to Tahquaminon Falls, Shipwreck Museum, Lake Superior, Pictured Rock Nat Lakeshore, Porcupine Mtns
south to Door Peninsular, Wisconsin Dells, Duck boatride
to Springfield-Lincoln Museum
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Timing might be late for colors