cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing mid-size truck

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at motorhome magazines list of tow vehicles. Didn't see anything regarding mid size trucks. Looking to tow either a Toyota Tacoma or Chev Colorado. Most likely a 2 Wheel Drive(rear wheel drive). But possibly a 4WD. Want to make sure I can put a rear wheel drive truck on a tow dolly. Can't trust what a salesman says....
15 REPLIES 15

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Mile High wrote:
At least all the manuals I have looked up for Jeep and Ford (trucks and SUV) had instructions in the Towing section for

Trailer Towing
Wrecker Towing
Recreational Towing

instructions yes, but were these limited to special situations, manual tranny, etc.?
bumpy

At least in all the cases I have been researching, the manuals state if any restrictions apply based on configuration or options. For instance, Wrangler doesn't matter if its auto or manual. The F150 can't be towed if 2WD unless a drive shaft disconnect is installed, but the 4X4 can be towed in any configuration, etc.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
At least all the manuals I have looked up for Jeep and Ford (trucks and SUV) had instructions in the Towing section for

Trailer Towing
Wrecker Towing
Recreational Towing

instructions yes, but were these limited to special situations, manual tranny, etc.?
bumpy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

Trailer Towing
Wrecker Towing
Recreational Towing
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when towing a Toad, I don't think referencing trips of 20 to 100 miles really counts. many of the owner's manuals I have read give emergency towing instructions, up to xxx miles at under xxx mph, not 7,000 miles a year. I towed my 1998 Dakota PU with auto transmission for a lot of miles, and compared to my tracker, I coud certainly tell it was there.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mid-size, it would be 4WD Colorado (but not predecessor S10/S-15, which were compact). Some 4WD Dakota models were towable, those that had dual-range transfer cases with a neutral selection.

Compact, it would be manual transmission Ford Ranger (and Mazda clone), late 1990s to the end of Ranger production. 2WD, 4WD, it didn't matter, the M5OD transmission itself was OK for a couple hundred miles before needing to be spun in neutral to splash lube around. I towed a 2001 Ranger for several years, mileage limitations not an issue because I was towing it 20 to 50 miles at most.

Nissan Frontier manual transmissions were also OK, but I don't know the model year range.

Toyota says "NO" but I know folks who had no problems pulling their old (pre-Tacoma) manual transmission Toyota pickups 20 to 100 miles at a stretch. Here we are talking about 20-30 year old trucks with 100,000 to 200,000 miles on them, nobody worried about whether or not Toyota will warranty this use.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
No Toyota is towable either 4-down. Has to be modified with either a lube pump for the trans or a driveshaft disconnect. FWD models can be towed on a dolly.

The 2wd Colorado is not towable either 4-down or on a dolly Same restrictions as above.

The 4wd Colorado IS towable either 4-down or on a dolly.

Go to remco website to determine which vehicle is towable or not.

Good luck

Ron

We can tow a Toyota Yaris 4 down (standard trans). But yes, for most of the vehicles outside of standard you have to modify.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think any of the small PU's can be towed with 2 wheel drive. The Tacoma 4x4 can be towed with a DS disconnect BUT not if it is the model with push button start. Something to do with the steering wheel lock.

Moisheh

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
You would have to back a RWD vehicle on to the dolly to be able to tow it. You would have to Lock the steering wheel so the wheels stay straight
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
When towing RWD (2WD) Colorado on a dolly, the rear wheels, differential, driveshaft and transmission output shaft are all turning. Most transmissions (auto and man) today do not have a lube pump operating in the trans when when engine is off. With a 4WD Colorado, you can put the transfer case in a neutral position. The rear wheels, differential, and driveshaft are all still turning, but since the transfer case is in between the driveshaft and the transmission output shaft means the transmission output shaft (and the rest of the transmission) is not turning.'

Remember when either 4-down flat towing or on a dolly.....the rear wheels are still on the ground and turning.

So yes, from the explanation above.. your assumption is correct.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
From looking at Remco, most of what they show is for flat towing. Didn't see much as far as using a dolly..Am I safe in assuming that you can't tow a 2wd(rear wheel drive) on a dolly? As Lanerd wrote? But a 4wd(i.e. Colorado) would be able to use a dolly?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does it say in the owners manual under towing behind a motorhome or recreational towing? that is the only valid source of information. and are you talking automatic transmission or stick shift?
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
kemer wrote:
...Can't trust what a salesman says....

no, you can't. at an auto show a few years back I decided to have some fun with the sales critters and asked a number of them if this particular sedan or that specific truck could be flat towed behind our motorhome. as expected, many of the sales force told me all I had to do was to put the tranny in neutral and drive away!

the only reliable source of information is the vehicle manufacturer either thru the owner's manual for the specific year and model or other written material provided by the mfg. but before you buy anything to tow you need to understand just how much weight your motorhome can safely tow.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, Remco has a lot of mistakes on their site. Can't trust it totally.

It said at one time that the Cadillac Escalade was not towable which it is.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
No Toyota is towable either 4-down. Has to be modified with either a lube pump for the trans or a driveshaft disconnect. FWD models can be towed on a dolly.

The 2wd Colorado is not towable either 4-down or on a dolly Same restrictions as above.

The 4wd Colorado IS towable either 4-down or on a dolly.

Go to remco website to determine which vehicle is towable or not.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....