cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baton Rouge LA

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can anyone give help in deciding what day of the week and times are best for getting thru Baton Rouge LA EB on I-10/I-12. We have never been thru there, but have heard the traffic is horrible.
9 REPLIES 9

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We went thru there last winter and it was heavy but no worse that Houston or Dallas or any other big city.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Weekend early mornings are the best time. Any other time the east bound traffic stacks at the Mississippi River bridge for the reason that bgum states. As a note - it wasn't originally designed that way when I-10 was first built. In the early 90's an off ramp was added and a "brilliant" engineer at the time decided to use one of the lanes for the exit ramp.

jimo
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize that Baton Rouge even had roads.
Jim & Barbara

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you everyone. We do always try to avoid lunch time on weekdays as everyone seems to be out running errands. I think we are going to try a Sunday morning, but after everyone should already be in church and not on their way to church.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
9 to 3 with noon 11:30 to 1:15 to be avoided. Those who have told you that it is terrible are correct. After crossing the bridge in Baton Rouge all EB traffic is funneled down to one lane feeding into I10. Who in their right mind would design a system that would do that? Every thing from California to The Mississippi River through one lane.

2BNOT2B
Explorer
Explorer
10am - 2pm should not be a problem week days or weekend as stated above.

I travel EB & WB thru BR often and it has been my experience that going EB you will experience some traffic coming off the bridge where traffic from I-10 meets I-110. After coming off the bridge stay in the left lane and follow I-10. Unless you are familiar with BR I would not try to go around it, it may take a long time. Bottom line I stay on I-10 regardless of the day or time.

I-12 is not a problem. No rest stops on I-12 unless you go to a WM or other venue.

Safe travels, Bill.
03, Fleetwood Expedition, 39Z
300HP Cummins, 6 Speed Allison
2013, Jeep Wrangler Sport

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
If your EB, consider the times noted or get off a couple of exits befor the I-10 Mississippi River bridge and head north to take the "upper" Miss river bridge (hwy 90) and work your way back to I-10/I-12. Still will have traffic but maybe a little less. I use my Google map traffic setting on my phone to see where the worst of the traffic is located. Good luck.
Patrick
Semper Paratus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't noticed traffic thru BR to be horrible. might be construction or something now??
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Weekdays 10-2, or Sunday morning.. like every other big city.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman