Any info on who uses them, witch ones are better than others, and cost
23 REPLIES 23

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
xctraveler wrote:
et2 wrote:

In hindsight, there's no way I'll ever purchase one again.

Unless your wife insists :W

Nope, you need to lay it out properly. I wanted a brand new MH. Her deal was I had to have the warranty. Win, win. She's not stupid, She understands the screwing we got, it won't be hard to talk her out of it next time around.

Understood :C
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

et2
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
et2 wrote:

Nope, you need to lay it out properly. I wanted a brand new MH. Her deal was I had to have the warranty. Win, win. She's not stupid, She understands the screwing we got, it won't be hard to talk her out of it next time around.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dave_330 wrote:
Any info on who uses them, witch ones are better than others, and cost

Save a few instances with the minority, they are more of an aggravation than they're worth, IMO, but if you gotta do it, then click on .... These People
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never bought one on any of my 3 RV's. Haven't found them worth the money. I'd rather put the extra $ into a savings account gaining interest. Roadside assistance like Good Sam is different... It's great to have 1 number to call if you are in a jam.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's what makes you comfortable. We've had policies on our last two coaches. Both policies were purchased from the dealer. Like anything else purchased there, the price is negotiable. Our cost was less than half the initial asking price which made it a good deal for us. With both coaches, the policy paid out much more than the purchase price. Once the policy expired, I've not renewed since the replacement cost of the policy makes it not such a good deal. Id rather cover the costs now on my own. Again, it's what you feel comfortable with.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one at the purchase of our new MH, per my wife's instructions. So we are in our 4th year of our 5 year contract. This was against my better judgement, but I wasn't about to argue this with my wife.

We had two repair request to the provider ( Cornerstone) in the last 4 years by our dealer. One they refused to cover, bad water mixing valve on the water heater. That repair cost me ove $300.00 which they should have paid. The other they dragged their feet for a month to approve the new motor for the front steps. Finally after I threatened to cancel the remainder of the policy it got approved.

IMO ,,, for most resonable consideration are a loosing deal for those who buy one. Sure some make out, the majority do not. Only thing they get is a false sense of security.

Besides the fact most new coaches have many different warranties provided by various places. Engine, transmission, electronics, jacks, tires, body manufacture, etc. The contract you purchased won't cover any of that until they expire. So in reality stuff they claim to cover ... Is covered already.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion wrote:
Wizard, I had heard on this forum that the warranty work gets put at the end of the queue bc it is not as lucrative? True?

Never had that experience myself when I had and used Extended Warranty.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard, I had heard on this forum that the warranty work gets put at the end of the queue bc it is not as lucrative? True?
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
We have an extended warranty through American Guardian Warranty Services/Compass.

It was written into the contract when we bought our 2007 Holiday Rambler so it was not an up front cash outlay for us.. . . We don't regret having it.

Not to argue with your comfort level, I do understand. Had you set aside $5,000 at purchase (of the $9,800 you could have reduced the financing by at close) and then funded $200/month into the account you would have paid for all of the repairs with cash left over for ongoing repairs.

In your case you seem to have had far more repairs than one would expect in a new coach. Even so the dealer has made out like a bandit profiting both from the sale of the warranty AND from the additional financing on $9,800.

I would ask one more question, does your financing extend beyond the life of the warranty? If so you will be paying for the warranty for the life of the loan. I call this out, not because you can change anything now unless you can refinance, but as a warning to others and to you in the future.

I buy any extended warranty direct from the provider and I research my own financing and will permit the dealer to arrange it only if the terms are the same or better than I can get for myself.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We have an extended warranty through American Guardian Warranty Services/Compass.

It was written into the contract when we bought our 2007 Holiday Rambler so it was not an up front cash outlay for us. It is a 48 month, 50,000 mile warranty and is the highest repair coverage they offer. It also has tire replacement and GAP insurance should it ever be needed. The cost of it was $9,800.00. Our deductible is $100.00 per occurrence.

Now, since May of 2014 we have had the following repairs that were covered by the warranty:

Leveling jack replaced - they paid 1033.00
Stove top replaced - they paid 200.00
2 - yes 2 cooling units replaced in our Norcold 1200 Fridge First one they paid 2162.74. The second replacement the unit was still under the Thetford warranty. AGWS paid the $500.00 installation charge
Thermister replaced in said Norcold fridge - they paid 34.45
Air pod for the air break system - they paid 419.20
Radiator of Onan Generator replaced - see below
Reservoir tank for the leveling jacks replaced - these were done at the same time and they paid 1617.99

So are we ahead - no. They have paid out about 6,000.00 on repairs so far. We still have 16 months and/or about 20,000 miles left on it. Who knows what will go wrong between now and then.

The main thing that I am saying is that I would rather pay a few cents interest on the cost of the extended warranty which is a part of our monthly payment than to have all of these issues hit our pocket book when they happen. We don't regret having it.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had three. The first one no longer sells to private parties, only dealers. The other two, actually one then renewed, was purchased from Wholesale Warranties. They will tailor a plan to fit your needs. They will also email you a blank copy before you sign so you can see what you're getting. My policy listed what was NOT included, meaning if it wasn't listed, it was covered. I also had the tire coverage and a $50 deductible. Cost of the policy was about $4800 for 4 years. We were money ahead at the end of the policy term. One tire alone was $700. They also replaced the rear end on the coach which was $6800 and replaced the cooling unit on my Norcold 1200 as well as the front 15,000 btu heat pump on the front.....that said, they are very specific as to what YOU must do before service. Read the policy, including the fine print, and determine if one is right for you. Be prepared, if you have a claim, to follow their instructions exactly. I had zero problems with either company as far as claims go. I'm glad I had the policies if for no other reason than for peace of mind while traveling....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I used to sell car and trailer and worked for sears also. all three make money selling stuff. extended warranties are no different than selling you a TT or a washing machine. they are going to make money off of you that is the whole idea of offering a product. if you do decide about getting one read the fine print cover to cover first be fore you sign. they make big money from warranties, that is why the owner or dealers push the salespeople to sell them

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for what RK911 suggested. For the most part you will be ahead of the game considering deductibles, exceptions that the warranty company will find, etc. plus you will be able control the work you want done.

Remember, if you purchase 5 year coverage it over,APS the manufacturers warranty and therefor only covers 3 years. If you wait until the manufacturers warranty ends, the policy will be more expensive.

In any event, if you do decide to purchase one, READ THE FINE PRINT AND ENTIRE DOCUMENT.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2