cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying at an rv show

MartinaB
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy our first tt, we have been looking for the past month and are getting a good idea of what we want and have narrowed it down to 3 (as of now). We are going to the Nashville rv show and was wondering if that is a good place to buy a tt. Due to size limitations we plan to get a small 7foot wide tt with a queen bed and bunk house. thank you for your time!
21 REPLIES 21

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I'll also note that both models we received were NOT ones that were at the actual shows being walked through. I would not want that and would pay 'used prices' for any RV I got that was actually used at a show.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a show this weekend. Every RV had a stream of people in and out, opening and closing, slamming doors you name it. After an RV sees a show or 2 it most likely has the equivalent of 5yrs of use. Nahh not worth it to me
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have done your research and know what you want and what price you are willing to pay, sure. If not, use the show to do more research and get a feel for prices. We figured out what we wanted doing research and talking to folks, including at the RV shows. We bought used and got just what we wanted. Our only disappointment is the fading of the front cap and it turns out our mfg along with a few others had a problem for a year or two. Factory declined to do anything on ours (still had some warranty left when we got it), others have had a nice paint job done..

Weights, floorplans, etc all play into decision. Please don't get sucked into "sure your truck will pull this" pitch by the salesman. Check it yourself, especially your available payload and hitch limitations.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
the dealers by me often have "show pricing" at the dealer at least a month or 2 after the show. If they don't you can easily ask "can we get the show price" or negotiate from that price. We went to a show to get a better idea of what we wanted, layout etc. Met the dealer, he talked us into going to their lot and looking at more models. We ended up buying the same model we saw at the show. The kicker- they gave us NEXT years model at the show price, while the show had the current year. Not much different in the 2 models, but sort of a mini-upgrade.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
We bought both our trailers from shows. Both times we were closing our deal on the last day at the end of the show and got great deals. It actually took the first dealer so long to agree to my price point and add ons that they sold the last 2007 model and had to upgrade us to the 2008 at no extra charge. If it wasn't for it being the end of the show, I don't think they would've agreed to the price, year and extras.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
SusanDallas wrote:
I would not buy from a show. I just purchased my travel trailer after looking for a year. You need the time to consider the options and features you need without making a rush decision. Like you, I wanted a set of bunks and a double bed. One trailer I liked at the show and later went to the dealership for a second look. I then realized it had no closets and the only place for your clothes was under the double bed. At the shows, you tend to miss the little things. I just purchased a KZ Sportsmen Classic 180bh. I opted for the larger refrigerator, roof a/c and the hot rod for the water heater so it can use electricity. It can be an nerve wracking experience dealing with some of the sales people. Some salesmen are great and really helpful and others just want to make a deal. Good Luck and have fun!

I really wanted a bunkhouse for future grandchildren. But we never found one that had a closet. deal breaker.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Cant speak for others, but I got a very good deal at our RV show back in 2012.
Its held every year at the convention center downtown (grand rapids mi.)

Paid 11k for a 2012 travel trailer that at the time, had a suggested list price of just over 18k.

So yeah, if you look around you can get a deal. The trailer I bought was one of the last ones I looked at.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SusanDallas wrote:
I opted for the larger refrigerator, roof a/c and the hot rod for the water heater so it can use electricity.

Just a heads up but if by "hot rod for the water heater" you mean an aftermarket Hott Rod Water Heater Conversion Kit be aware that you may void the warranty on the water heater itself by installing that Hott Rod. :E You haven't mentioned whether this is a Suburban or Atwood water heater but it would be worth checking into IMO.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

HappyCampers3
Explorer
Explorer
Saw our model at an RV show didn't buy but got same if not better deal when we ordered a month later. So it can be a crapshot as to what is best. Story from a friend who sells RVs. A salesman wasn't getting any interest on a unit raised price crossed it out put original price as " show price" and sold eight in one day. So be careful.
Three Happy Campers
2 Camping Cats
2004 Chevy 2500HD CC LB
2005 Holiday Rambler 30SKS

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our old previous hybrid Rockwood Roo at the Mpls RV show. Got a good deal and it seemed like the Rockwood corporate rep that was present helped get the local dealer to offer us a good price to make the sale. I remember the dealer saying we had to take the unit he had on display at the show, the one that everyone was walking through, for the price we got which seemed to be about $500 to $700 better than what we would have got outside of the RV show. I suppose they benefitted from being able to put up a "sold" sign on the unit for the remainder of the show. Of course, they had the unit nice and clean and ready to go when we took delivery a week later at the dealership. All in all, it was a fun experience to do once with our kids.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I would not buy from a show. I just purchased my travel trailer after looking for a year. You need the time to consider the options and features you need without making a rush decision. Like you, I wanted a set of bunks and a double bed. One trailer I liked at the show and later went to the dealership for a second look. I then realized it had no closets and the only place for your clothes was under the double bed. At the shows, you tend to miss the little things. I just purchased a KZ Sportsmen Classic 180bh. I opted for the larger refrigerator, roof a/c and the hot rod for the water heater so it can use electricity. It can be an nerve wracking experience dealing with some of the sales people. Some salesmen are great and really helpful and others just want to make a deal. Good Luck and have fun!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Show prices are never lower than the so-called Wholesale RV dealers. Call up Holman, RV Wholesalers, RV Direct, Lakeshore RV, etc and ask for quotes to establish a baseline to compare to the local shows. I also prefer a fresh/custom built vs. something at the show or dealer lots that many people have been in.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I saw my TT at a RV show and bought it about 3 months later from the same dealer at the show price. I just went to the Tampa RV show yesterday, as stated above the show prices didn't seem that great but I did see a few with sold signs on them. I guess if you have the money and a blank check any price is good. The ones that were sold were still open for folks to look at, if it were my recent purchase I wouldn't want it open for folks to parade through, but that's just me.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If it can be sold for X amount of dollars at a show including transportation and costs to display at the show, it can be sold for less off the lot or negotiated on an ordered unit with no lot time. We just went to the big show in Tampa. Lots of beautiful RV's there. Prices didn't seem that great. Salesmen sure talk a lot of BS too. But I enjoyed it enough that I might go back today.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'