cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free Canada Parks Discovery Pass timeline

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my Discovery Pass from Parks Canada on December 8, 2016 and it arrived today.
Just a timeline for those who have ordered one

6 week turnaround
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind
11 REPLIES 11

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't already have a pass you can stop at any Park Gate or Visitor Centre within the Park and pick up one free.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong but I thought you needed the pass to get in free. If you didn't have the free pass you had to pay at the gate.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Got my free passes in today's mail. Took a little more than a month. Thanks, Parks Canada!

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
In 2012 for a couple of months in Atlantic Canada, I bought the passes (and they weren't cheap even at a senior rate). If I remember right, it was a sturdy pass with a cut-out so you could hang it from your windshield rear view mirror or place it to be visible on the dash, and then they would wave us through the entry gate.

I recall when we went to the Fortress of Louisbourg, we also got waved past a long line of people in the visitor center waiting to buy admission passes.

I did the math and buying the passes did save us money vs individual admissions. But free is even better.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, if not ordered beforehand you will be issued one free at the park gate.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, if you don't get the free pass beforehand, you need to get one at the park entrance (of the first park you visit). Ordering it ahead of time speeds things up at the park. I don't know this from personal experience, though.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
All National Parks and Historic Sites are free in 2017, but the free pass is still needed for 2017. I believe they issued the passes to track the amount of interest generated.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I just got mine, but wonder if it's really needed as it's just for 2017 and Canada says all national parks are free for 2017. Am I missing something?

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered ours on 12-06-2016 and received it on 1-18-2017.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know.

By the way, I saw a post on this forum where someone (maybe you) mentioned getting an email acknowledgement after ordering. I never got any form of acknowledgment when I ordered the first time. Must not have gone through.

So I reordered, and did indeed get responses confirming they have my request and will be sending. Nice savings for our trip this summer, and I'm grateful to Parks Canada for their generosity.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Darsben. Then mine should arrive next week.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad