cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good news for Texas...

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I usually don't read many links, and I can't seem to post a hot link on this forum. I cut & pasted the text twice but the site wouldn't take it. I'll try to condense it:

The Texas State Parks Centennial Plan details actions needed to create a well-maintained, modernized park system able to serve a more diverse, urban and growing population by the year 2023, when Texas state parks will mark 100 years of recreation and conservation service. The plan builds on the foundation provided when the Texas Legislature dedicated 94 percent of state sporting goods sales tax revenue to parks in 2015. It identifies six areas of investment and action for state parks.
Improvements to park facilities and infrastructure are a key focus of the plan, with nearly two-thirds of state park sites slated to receive upgrades and improvements in coming years.
In addition, the plan calls for developing five new state parks at sites where land is already in the park system but money is needed for planning and construction. This would serve surging public demand, which has gone from just under 7.5 million state park visits per year in 2009 to almost 9 million visits per year now. The five new state parks planned are Palo Pinto Mountains near Dallas-Fort Worth, Albert and Bessie Kronkosky near Austin-San Antonio, Powderhorn on the coastal bend, Chinati Mountains in far West Texas, and Davis Hill near Houston.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
21 REPLIES 21

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I'm not questioning anyones truthfulness, and I should call the parks myself, but per TP&WD website Tyler State Park entrance fee is $6.
If they wanted to charge more than what they advertise I would be asking for someones supervisor.

I wasn't questioning your questioning...lol ๐Ÿ™‚ I was only assuming that during the summer months, even though it's hotter than heck, the prices go up. They certainly didn't have any problem filling the park. Its all good....I just checked your link and it's now 6.00 at Tyler?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not questioning anyones truthfulness, and I should call the parks myself, but per TP&WD website Tyler State Park entrance fee is $6.
If they wanted to charge more than what they advertise I would be asking for someones supervisor.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
As related, we stayed at Tyler State Park and I was well aware of the 7 dollar per night charge and accepted it BUT low and behold, upon entry, it was now 10 dollars per person per night...for us, not a big deal since there was only two of us but a family might have a alternate view.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Dec, we stayed at Cedar Hill State park. With the entrance fee of $5 per person for overnight, a full hook up site was $40 per night plus tax. Not horrible, but having to pay $10 per night for access fee seemed a bit much. Having said that, I knew it going in (had done my research), and I was prepared for it. Not upset about it, just commented (and commenting) on it FWIW. I still think some level of consideration for campers would be good, but would probably be reflected in increased camping spots from $30 per night to something higher.

It is what it is, and I still very much enjoyed the time there. It was close enough to all my relatives, yet a great sanctuary to 'get away', when needed.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Looking at the Texas state park map, and checking a number of parks across the state, I found daily entrance fees ranging from $4 to $7 with children under 12 being free. Palo Duro Canyon entrance fee is $5 per person (under 12 free) plus $24 for camp site ($26 for "premium site"). I did not see any park entrance fees for over $7, so the fees may have been lowered since some of you visited.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I think Texas has a great state park system, and the fees are what make this possible. I live in a state where most of the parks are free of admission fees, and camping fees are low, but the parks tend to be more primitive and less well managed.

I don't understand comments about non-resident fees. My experience is that the fees in Texas are same for residents and non-residents, unlike some states where only residents can buy annual passes, or there is a huge price difference in fees (as in Michigan where the non-resident daily pass is almost as expensive as the resident annual pass).

I would agree that the Texas parks are in a par with many other states, including my home state of Florida.

I don't think the reference was to non-resident fees but the cost to non-residents. They are charged the same fees as residents but since they use the parks much less, a non-resident is much less likely to purchase an annual pass for $70. For instance if a family of four stop at Palo Duro for two nights on their way through Texas, they will pay a 26/day camping fee and another 20/day (5 each) use fee for a total cost of $92 for the two nights . Since they would only be paying 40 for day use fees, paying 70 for an annual pass wouldn't be economical. Whereas a resident that spends at least three or four weekends a year could make good use of annual pass and would probably do so. A two-night stay with 50 amps FHU at the very nice Oasis RV Resort a few miles away near Amarillo would only cost 70 for the same two nights. I will agree that Palo Duro is much more picturesque but is it worth an additional 11/night? BTW, Florida has some of the best priced campsites in the country and charges no day use fees for campers, even for snow birds! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Each state is different. They run all the way from no additional fee when camping to a daily per person like Texas. Some even have a reservation fee even for walk ins.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Texas has a great state park system, and the fees are what make this possible. I live in a state where most of the parks are free of admission fees, and camping fees are low, but the parks tend to be more primitive and less well managed.

I don't understand comments about non-resident fees. My experience is that the fees in Texas are same for residents and non-residents, unlike some states where only residents can buy annual passes, or there is a huge price difference in fees (as in Michigan where the non-resident daily pass is almost as expensive as the resident annual pass).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While it can be confusing, NY has state park entrance fees that vary with the park ($6 - $10 per vehicle) but allow free entrance non holiday weekdays if there is a NY resident 62 or older in the vehicle. The entrance fee is charged, camping or not.

There is an "Empire Pass" that covers entry fees and can be purchased for different amounts, depending on how many years, even a lifetime pass for $750.00.

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
We pay for a year pass in CO as we have kids there & can usually get two trips so it pays. I know some states don't do this day fee but each is different. We could probably blame the politicians who see a pile of money & can't resist dipping in. We wish they would allow TX parks to be self sustaining for the most part but I would still take just about any state park in any state over a crowded & overpriced RV park. JMHO
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I think Georgia does the same thing.

But not at $7 per person per day. Ga is $5 per vehicle (regardless of number of people).

Mike

And if you are camping, it is only a one time $5 fee for the duration of your stay. Being out of staters who would never recoup the annual pass charges, we have stopped staying in Michigan, Texas and Washington state parks due to their high use fees. We can stay in a nice RV resort with FHU for the same price. I suspect we are not alone, but that does give the in-stater a better chance at a reservation!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I guess there are a few places that require this per person fee.....I guess I shouldn't complain, here in Ca, our State Park's with any type of hook up are high without a per person fee. I have about 4-5 State Parks on the coast within 50 miles that I use to love to go to....but with the camping fee and near impossibility to get into....I normally stick with the TT Parks.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
I think Georgia does the same thing.

But not at $7 per person per day. Ga is $5 per vehicle (regardless of number of people).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Parks and Wildlife funds go to other programs. Like Social Security dollars are lumped in with the Federal Budget. The price for camping in State Parks is inexpensive for singles and couples. When you bring the kids or grandkids in it gets expensive. Not family friendly.

To add insult to robbery they ask for P&W donations when I renew my vehicle registration(s).
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado