cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer buying - need good resale value

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I'm on the market for used bumper-pulled travel trailer. I will be full-timing for a year or 2 and then reselling (not trading in/up). Aside from the obvious (quality/no leaks/etc.) I was wondering if there are any particular brands, models, or features that will help with a resale (both dollar and time-wise). Or any to totally avoid?

I had a newbie RV salesman mention he couldn't seem to GIVE away a motorhome without slides, any opinion on whether that might apply to trailers? Any other features that might help or hinder?
38 REPLIES 38

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Resale sucks on all of them so give up on that thought.

And that's the sad truth.....

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Resale sucks on all of them so give up on that thought.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Casita or Scamp travel trailers.

They seem to be getting more popular all the time.

Of course, due to their popularity, you will likely pay more.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
You're saying Lance's are crummy (lousy) quality? Good luck with your search or just educate yourself by watching the Lance Factory Tour Video from 2015.

Lance Factory Tour
I think the OP said Lance was to heavy and light weight builds were crappy quality.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You're saying Lance's are crummy (lousy) quality? Good luck with your search or just educate yourself by watching the Lance Factory Tour Video from 2015.

Lance Factory Tour
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
to paraphrase. travel trailer and good resale value. Pick one, you can't have both! kinda an oxymoron. But since you will not be traiding in, selling it yourself will probably get you more $ than trading in.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
ShaunaH wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
Buy a Lance TT, they have a very high resale value!

Well, I actually found two Lance's nearby, and both are too heavy. Does light weight always mean crappy quality? I hate to buy a new TV but it might be worth it.

Shauna

Will you be towing regularly for the two years or setting up and leaving it? If towing regularly, you might want to upgrade just for wear and tear on your TV.

Unless it's a new half-ton, most are practically limited to 6500 lbs and most less than that.

That said, if you have a legitimate 1/2 ton towable TT, it might be easier to sell given there are so many driving 1/2 tons wanting to get a TT. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton specifically because I want a Northwood (Nash, Artic Fox, etc.) and they are heavy because they are well made.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cmcdar wrote:
APT wrote:
Buy one 5 years old and sell it for what you paid 2 years later if you are concerned with resale value.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I have done this twice.

Some of you do more buying and selling than an auction.
At purchase time some are more focus on selling the RV than actually using it.
I do lots of research. Buy the one that meets my needs and keep it a long time. Resale is a non factor for me.I'm more concerned with maintaining rig a long time. 10 year minimum.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Buy one 5 years old and sell it for what you paid 2 years later if you are concerned with resale value.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I have done this twice.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
It was mentioned about a salesman not being able to give away a motorhome without a slide. That is understandable. However, that is not the case with trailers. A trailer might not have a slide due to being considered a "light weight" model. We have a 2011 Nomad 22 ft without a slide, the quality is excellent. We have had little trouble. When we first bought the trailer, we were pulling it with a GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 liter engine. The trailer was 3600 lbs. If the trailer had a slide, it would have been too much for the Jimmy. We graduated to an F150 after the first year due to the age of the Jimmy.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used BigFoot and sold it after five years for what I paid. If the buyer maintained it properly he could probably sell it for what he paid me three years ago. I'm not suggesting a BigFoot for full timing as they are too tight but there are brands out there that are extremely well built, desirable and have a strong following. You will take more of a hit on any new unit, including BigFoot.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It is like asking what car should I buy based on resale value.

You can start by looking at used TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
This is what I would suggest.