cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use a Butter Bell ?

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Want to get a butter bell. Tremain seems to be "the brand" to get? What do you have? Some say butter will keep for a month, some say 5 days. All work on same principal, so why the difference? Thanks for owner input.
18 REPLIES 18

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised in WI and butter goes away pretty fast in our place.

:B
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We used one for a few years, but honestly, real butter is fat. Fat takes a long time to go rancid, so just putting the butter into whatever kind of container makes you happy and leaving it out is fine, if you use it at a rate of a stick (of whatever size) about a week.

We store the unused butter in the freezer and the butter in use is either in the fridge or on the table, depending on who was using it last... WLToo thinks it should be in the fridge; I don't. Both work fine.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to admit this because at home I only use real butter, mostly for recipes, but for RV trips I bring a small plastic spray bottle of "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter."

Works on baked potatoes or toast, and the little bottle doesn't take up much room in the refrigerator door.

For camper cooking I use olive oil.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ya the jury is in and out of leaving butter out on the table.

Whether you think it will go bad or not it WILL pick up the smells around it rendering the taste of it spunky. Even in the fridge.

They claim that even the plastic wrap that most sticks come wrapped in smells in the fridge will permeate into the butter. They claim that butter that comes wrapped in foil is the way to go to keep it 'fresh' and 'tasting' like fresh butter.

Me? It's a milk and fat product and it stays IN the fridge. I want my butter to be fresh bacteria free and taste like butter. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to use a butter bell at home.... Honestly it was a pain in the rear.... The butter had to be soft enough to pack into the bell and then occasionally it would fall out of the bell into the water... And then you need to change the water daily.... Sometime last year we sent it to the goodwill....

We are back to putting 2 sticks in a plastic covered dish that gets run through the dishwasher after 4 sticks are used...
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
We keep butter in a 'butter mill' in the fridge, makes it easy to deal with, crank out thin strips for toast and they melt pretty quick. Keeps it off the table/counter.. Only downside is they're made for 'Elgins' the long skinny 1/4lb sticks not the 'western stubby' stick. We've found that wally world has Land o' Lakes butter in the type necessary.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bruce wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We use real butter and have it sitting on the counter in a covered butter dish. Summer and winter. Other 3 sticks are in the refrigerator waiting to be used. We have never had butter go bad. I think that would take a very long time. My grandmother never refrigerated her butter.

x2

x3. I like the Rubbermaid butter holder thingy as it locks and won't tip out on the floor and tiny critters can't get in. But I've never had butter go bad on me. We only use real butter though, not margarine.

Big_Bruce
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We use real butter and have it sitting on the counter in a covered butter dish. Summer and winter. Other 3 sticks are in the refrigerator waiting to be used. We have never had butter go bad. I think that would take a very long time. My grandmother never refrigerated her butter.

x2
Big Bruce
2006 Dodge, Dually, CTD, Quad Cab, 4 X 4, Automatic/ 2013 10' Camplite truck camper.
Hauling 2014 Harley Davidson Trike.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a covered butter dish from the dollar store. We keep a stick of butter in it on the counter winter and summer, in the house or in the camper. We've never had any problem doing this. The main advantage is that the butter is easy to spread.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
.... We keep a pound of butter in the freezer for baking.....

Rob

I keep all my butter in the freezer too. So nice to know I'm not alone,LOL.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did in the stix 'n brix - but not since going full-time. We keep a pound of butter in the freezer for baking and use "Move Over Butter" in a tub for toast, etc.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:
I Had to google this. When camping we use a stick of butter in a zip lock bag.

we dont want to overload the trailer...LOL

X2. I like the KISS theory. Less stuff to drag around. ๐Ÿ™‚

But, I'm sure I carry things others would not consider useful or necessary.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you use at least a stick of butter a week you'll be fine w/ the butter bell. It is also sensitive to the outside temperature so in essence the less humidity and heat in the air the longer the butter will remain wholesome. This probably explains why it lasts 5 days for some and 4 weeks for another.
The design and science behind it is simple so you can get one made by Tremain, or Crate + Barrel or BBB or Sur La Table.....wouldn't be surprised if they were all made by the same company.

To answer your first question, no I don't have one prolly because I don't use that much butter any more and of course there is the counter space (or lack there of) for me to consider. When I need rm temp butter fast I just grate it.