cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Woes

ahfox
Explorer
Explorer
Question re 2004 trail-lite 22' motorhome by r-vision(B+)

Last nite I lost all my "shore power" . I was plugged in to a 50 amp using a converter adapter to my 30 amp cord. I am in Savannah Ga and was using my air conditioning system when the power went out. I could use my lights from battery power but no appliances or outlet, even when I turned on the generator! I would expect that I blew a AC fuse but I can not find any fuse panel or circuit breaker in this whole RV. I am a new(newbie) Rv'r and I bought this RV 2nd hand with 13,000 miles on it. I have made several modifications to make it more practicle and this is my first trip with it as I purchased it late fall and had no or little "shake down time" My wife is ready to call it quits so I really need to find this fuse box or breaker before very long! HELP!!! Thanks in advance Keith
12 REPLIES 12

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
The following applies unless you have an automatic transfer switch which senses whether you are on shore power or generator power

You may need to plug the shore power cable into the side of the generator accessible through an adjacent compartment. Turn off the roof Air Conditioner and other 120vac items before starting generator, let it run 5 minutes then turn roof AC back on.

PS: If you shut roof AC unit down with generator running, wait 10 minutes before attempting to turn roof AC unit back on.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you were able to find the panel by now. I would also caution that if you do not have an electric filter/analyzer and there was a voltage sag at the pedestal it can cause you to blow a breaker. Everything in your coach wants watts, so if the voltage drops the current rises to make up for it. Current is the only thing that trips the breaker though. If voltage sages and the breaker does not trip one or more of your appliances will. I will never plug into a campground pedestal without an inline filter/analyzer. Some are not wired correctly or dont get anywhere near 115v when they are full and its hot out or grounds are missing and spikes come through everytime someones air turns on.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you check to make sure that there was power on the pedestal that you were plugged into? Does it have a breaker and is it on (try shutting off and turning on). If you can try another pedestal to see if this is it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe get a neighbor to help you locate it.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Had the a/c breaker trip in a Monaco. Searched everywhere for the breaker/fuse/converter. It was in the only overhead storage cupboard I didn't look in .....in the bedroom.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like you tripped the rig's main breaker. Locate breaker panel in the rig. Turn off all breakers applying light pressure toward off, then turn on main, if equipped followed by the branch breakers one at a time.
I would investigate why it tripped. It is possible that there is a loose connection in the 120 volt distribution panel(breaker panel). It could be a loose neutral(white wires) in the back of the panel. Disconnect shore power before working in this area.

There's your answer. It doesn't need to be made any more complicated than that. Your probably running too many high current things at once like a water heater, AC, microwave, etc. Or you have a loose connection.
So you simply tripped your RV's 30A breaker. You need to familiarize yourself with where the breakers and fuses are and what they are responsible for. When they blow or trip it isnt a fluke - there's a reason for it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you tripped the rig's main breaker. Locate breaker panel in the rig. Turn off all breakers applying light pressure toward off, then turn on main, if equipped followed by the branch breakers one at a time.
I would investigate why it tripped. It is possible that there is a loose connection in the 120 volt distribution panel(breaker panel). It could be a loose neutral(white wires) in the back of the panel. Disconnect shore power before working in this area.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Thats a very big bummer getting on the road and having problems like this.

I always try to find out how everything works at home to try to keep ahead of events like this... Doesn't always work...

You know it will be something simple once it gets figured out...

Roy Ken

This IS experience talking to you as a newbie. Plug in, connect electric, hoses, run propane at home. Especially before a big trip.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Often the electric panel will be someplace relatively close to the shore power inlet.

I would guess you simply popped the main 30A breaker. The air conditioner uses a good chunk of the 30A available, and using another high draw device and not too much more could easily pop the breaker. (Microwave, water heater on electric, hair dryer, some coffee makers, etc.)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats a very big bummer getting on the road and having problems like this.

I always try to find out how everything works at home to try to keep ahead of events like this... Doesn't always work...

You know it will be something simple once it gets figured out...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a tripped circuit breaker. There is a breaker / fuse panel. Look for something that looks like this. Inside the door, you'll find a fuse panel for the 12 volt side, and a circuit breaker panel for the 120 volt side.

Look around the bed frame, refrigerator, furnace, thermostat, lower walls, etc. It may not be the exact model in the link above, but, it will look similar. Some do not have a knob, the door may have a spring latch.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
In order to be able to help, we need a few pointers:

Make and model
year
general lay out, rear bed, or bathroom where is the kitchen on left side or right

What you are looking for is a brown or black square lid that has a plastic "knob" you need to use a coin or screw driver to turn the knob and pull the lid down.

Once opened you will see the braker switches and also the fusees, the braker that poped is going to be feel losse, turn the air conditioner off as well as the refrigerator, tv, inverter, any shore powered utensil, now turn the brakers all off and then turn them on, then turn the fride on and then the air.

navegator