cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest in Hot Spot devices?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I see we have stickies for cellphones, but not for Hot Spot modems.
What is the latest?
I am planning to go full time for several months this year and need modem without annual plan.
In the past I had Virgin Mobile MI-FI for my occasional travel and $20 monthly plan work for me, but they updated to higher G, so my modem become useless.
Now from what I read unlimited plans don't exist anymore, while 6GB plan cost $55.
Any other, newer options?
43 REPLIES 43

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Mr. Wizard.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
You have to buy or build a power supply, that had the obdi connector which plugs into the Mobley
You also have to give the mobile connect department the Mfg model of a vehicle
One that is listed in their data's base as being compatible

After reading on Howard's forums it is clear that the device works very well and users are happy
But the assembly power supply, Mobley, wiring etc is not as compact and portable as a mifi, no built in battery, no small wall wart charger

Put this in a cabinet in the middle of the RV or stick house, and leave it there

You really should go read the Howard forums thread on this before committing to the idea

This is a DIY project when used in the RV, instead of the listed option vehicle
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I called the ATT connected car dept and they switched mine over just by asking.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV does not have one. Is that the requirement for the use of this device? Pretend you are going to put it in your car but connect it to the OBD-II in your RV instead? I know others have said that it is sold with very limited data but calling someone allowed them to be upgraded to unlimited at no charge. Who do you call (specifically) and what magic words are spoken to change a 2GB plan to unlimited?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
If your vehicle has an OBD-II connector, it should work well. Strong wifi signal too.

Link
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was (obviously) not looking for a link to some other thread but rather some information that verifies the claim that the Mobley's $20 for 2GB is actually unlimited data and that this unit can be used outside of your car to connect multiple devices just the same as a MiFi device would.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
A Link

Apparently, one can not sign up for the program online directly. You can call the ATT car connect dept with any questions though. The $20 offer is apparently on their pull-down menu (not online). Mine works perfect.

LOTS of reading on this subject in the Howard Forums ATT section.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfcoast wrote:
New device out by ATT... the car-connect Mobley. Unlimited data for $20 a month.

Could you give us a link to this offer?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
New device out by ATT... the car-connect Mobley. Unlimited data for $20 a month.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for an unlocked device so I can use it with Canadian and US carriers. Netgear has a few models with overlapping features, particularly the 771s or 779s. Any suggestions?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

7 I am getting 0.5 Mbps download and 1.5 -2.5 upload.

The above was in Las Vegas, 4 miles east of Strip.
Now I am "in the middle of nowhere" in California, to be exact 2 miles from small city Rio Vista.
4 Mbps download, 0.6 upload
Can't complain so far.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We had extremely limited Verizon Jetpack service at the Oasis RV Park which is between the interstate and Las Vegas Blvd and only 4 miles to Mandalay Bay. Mind boggling.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our current mobile Internet setup consists of a Verizon 6620L Jetpack with a 4G/LTE 20GB $100/mo no contract plan, a Netgear Unite AT&T hotspot with a 4G/LTE 20GB $50/mo no contract plan from H2O-Bolt, and a Verizon 4620LE Jetpack with an unlimited 3G $5/mo no contract plan. To make sure we always have the best cell signals available, we feed all of our hotspots and cell phones with a Max Amp RV booster/repeater from Maximum Signal. The Max Amp gives us solid cell signals throughout the coach.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate