cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sat Tv Service in Alaska and Canada

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Alaska this summer. What is the best Sat TV service as far as reception and sat. coverage goes through Canada and Alaska?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
11 REPLIES 11

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I wish there were a "thank you" button. Thank you for all your responses so far. But I am beginning to get the idea that a Sat system may not be worth the trouble this year.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rooftop Wingard DirecTv and we found that we lost service in northern Canada. And HD went away first. We could lock onto the satellites but not with a strong enough signal. Dishes in Alaska look like they are pointing at the ground. We had a bunch of dvds with us. It never occurred to us to try to watch tv with our over the air antenna. Our Verizon hotspot worked well and since we have an unlimited 4g hotspot, we could have used that to stream but we did not do that either. We were just on busy having fun to watch much TV.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
The issue will be your antenna, it will not go low enough to get a signal. and it may not be large enough. We have Dish, and a lot of people have Direct. Both work with the right antenna.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
There are basically 3 sets of TV satellites that hang out over North America. The first of these was the Canadian Avik 1, then Anvik II was launched, followed by the US And Mexican Morelos satellites. The Us satellites are the farthest south, over the equator, generally speaking.

Most of the 13 years I lived in Nenana Alaska, I watched TV received using a 6.1 meter dish, about 20 ft. At that time none of the satellite signals were scrambled so we tuned in directly. After the scrambled the signals, I bought service for a dealer in Tennessee and used his address as the satellite TC companies wouldn't sell me service in Alaska as they claimed I couldn't receive their signal. Duh? So my family watched US programming, Canadian TV, loved the Red Green show, Vinyl Cafe with McClain and the Mexican shows.

If I had an interest in watching TV in Canada, I would figure out a way through Shaw Direct or Bell TV , etc to buy one of their larger dishes, a receiver and the level of programming I wanted. Probably have to create a Canadian address to make this idea work. Sure there would be many Shaw dealers happy to have you business. Not going to be cheap but very workable. Last summer we were camped next to a Canadian couple in western Colorado that were able to watch their local Canadian news shows over their satellite. Their roof mounted dish was close to twice the diameter of most US ones we have had in the past. It was remotely controlled from inside their RV and auto locked on to the Canadian satellite.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of DVDs would be the best answer (or whatever media you prefer). Actually, I might also include a video game console, if only because it's interactive. Bonus points for losing to your kids at Mario Kart. (And double bonus points for beating the kids at Mario Kart, but I suspect that's not very likely to happen!)

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
You're supposed to be out exploring - not sitting in front of a t.v.! ๐Ÿ™‚

Agreed but getting the kids out of the RV is like pulling teeth! And I can only take so much of "there's nothing to do" whining before deciding to feed them to the bears. So, get them TV or feed the bears! That is the question. Tv is easier and I kind of like them!!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

Exactly - it never gets dark right?

get out - no excuses ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In my experience, the furthe rnorth you go, the more dicey satellite service gets as the reception angle gets lower as the latitude gets higher.
Once as far north as Anchorage it's real low so you'd have to be set up with the right view of the SE skyline for satellite.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
This link will get you to a lot of information on this subject.TV In Alaska
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken trips to Alaska in 2014 and 2016 with two difference Motorhomes. The first we had an auto seeking Kingdome. We now have an in-motion wineguard both with Directv. They are useless after around Edmonton. Mostly in Canada we see Shaw as the provider. Up in Alaska, people use Directv or Dish, but the actual dish is the typical home style on a tripod with Multi LNB dish.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures