cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to park your Tow Dolly?

Coyote1
Explorer
Explorer
Have a new Class C and plan to get a Tow Dolly w/brakes to take our Nissan Altima along with us. I have towed quite a bit and have no problems there but being new to rv'ing with a dolly I would like to know where you park the dolly after you get to the campground? Some places have plenty of room at the site , some have parking areas and some are limited.
Maybe I answered my own question but would like to hear your experiences.
2008 28' Class C, Gulf Stream Yellowstone GX2, F-450 w/6.0 Diesel
6 REPLIES 6

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Adding a hitch to your towed vehicle can be a big help jockeying your dolly around when you need to.

X2 I had a hitch on our RAV4 and after unloading the RAV4 would connect the dolly and my wife would tow it to the campsite and park it behind the MH. Worked great for us.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have not had any issues with storing the dolly while at the campground. Can usually just leave it hooked up. On a couple of occasions have needed to unhitch and slide the dolly up closer with the tongue up under the MH.

On back in sites, I usually put the dolly all the way at the back of the site then back in the MH. When we leave, I only need to pull forward a few feet to hitch up the dolly, then let the MH drag it around instead of me.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Check my profile pic and see what I tow, I have had no issues parking my trailer at campgrounds, only one place I had to use their over flow parking, all others it parked along side of motorhome on the same site.

You can also request pull thru sites and its even easier, never have to unhook.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a hitch to your towed vehicle can be a big help jockeying your dolly around when you need to.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our PT Cruiser on a dolly from Montana to Georgia and never had a problem with where to put the dolly. we stayed primarily in KOA Kampgrounds on the way down, and several different campgrounds on the way back.
The only time we encountered a problem was at a county campground one night on the way back where we had to accept a back-in site. I had to unload the car, disconnect the dolly, back in, put the dolly in front of the coach, then park the car in front of the dolly. then, of course, in the morning it was move the car and the dolly, pull the coach out onto the road, hook up and load up, and hit the road.
Every other campground we stayed at on the trip had enough room in the pull-through sites for the dolly. At our destination KOA I had to disconnect the dolly and put the tongue under the back of the coach.
A definite aid to handling the dolly is a two wheeled "trailer dolly" with a handle. It makes moving the dolly very easy, even for an old out-of-shape guy like me. There are various models available. I got mine from Harbor Freight.
It works great for moving our little flatbed ATV trailer, also.
As always, I recommend reading the Operating Instructions for your new dolly.
IMO, the DEMCO Kar Kaddy is the best dolly out there. It is not inexpensive, but it is a great machine, IMO.
Selling mine was one of the more incredibly stupid things I have done!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"