cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There's no such thing as privacy anymore

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking of getting a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland to replace our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. So I did a build and price. Also we replaced our kitchen faucet and also checked prices.

Our email in box was filled with more Jeep dealers then I knew were around here. We got email's from Lows and home depot on the faucet.
One dodge dealer got our unlisted phone number and called us.:M You can be sure we won't be buying a Jeep from that dealer.When and if we do buy I will call that dealer and let him know why we didn't buy from them.
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.
50 REPLIES 50

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman Sport, that was a good video, thanks.

I thought I'd toss this in here as well, talk about George Orwell's 1984?

Here's a YouTube clip about your Smart TV

This from 'Wired" magazine is a good one as well CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

I need to go camping with you guys ... LOL
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You want to see something really spooky?
Go to Home Depot and stop by the walk-in bathtub display they have. It's like ones they advertise on TV all the time for older folks.
Stop by the display, open the door and lean inside.
Within 2 days you email getting spammed with ads for those tubs.

I got the same thing so I emailed them back a picture of myself naked in a bathtub and I never heard from them again.
๐Ÿ™‚

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Get Off of FB and LOG OUT of it. if you don't it tracks everywhere you go in the background.

Facebook says otherwise--their explanation of what they do can be read here. But at any rate, logging out does not remove their cookies from your system, and thus does not prevent pages with a Facebook plug-in from personalizing content, etc. You can remove the cookies yourself, or there are browser plug ins available that will do this for you, such as Facebook Disconnect for Chrome, among others.

Yes FB says otherwise but the fact as reported by technology experts who have written on the subject and of an extensive NPR report is that they are being less than truthfull.

I am also aware of the cookie issue and how to manage them.

But the biggest problem certainly security wise is not logging out.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
EV2 wrote:
What
Is really scarey would be all of the misinformation in this thread. Just, wow!

Sorry, this comment has bothered me since this thread started. I found this on YouTube... Click here. Maybe miss-information isn't so miss-informed after all.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
tvov wrote:
I've had to have a credit card replaced twice in the last two years due to info being stolen. I haven't lost anything, as this has become "routine" for credit cards and they don't charge you for anything you say was not yours.

They are able to absorb the cost because they charge such outrageous rates in the first place. It's baked in to everyone's bill.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Get Off of FB and LOG OUT of it. if you don't it tracks everywhere you go in the background.

Facebook says otherwise--their explanation of what they do can be read here. But at any rate, logging out does not remove their cookies from your system, and thus does not prevent pages with a Facebook plug-in from personalizing content, etc. You can remove the cookies yourself, or there are browser plug ins available that will do this for you, such as Facebook Disconnect for Chrome, among others.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
DKean wrote:
I've been thinking of getting a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland to replace our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. So I did a build and price. Also we replaced our kitchen faucet and also checked prices.

Our email in box was filled with more Jeep dealers then I knew were around here. We got email's from Lows and home depot on the faucet.
One dodge dealer got our unlisted phone number and called us.:M You can be sure we won't be buying a Jeep from that dealer.When and if we do buy I will call that dealer and let him know why we didn't buy from them.

Let me guess. You use Facebook AND you don't bother to log off. Moreover I am betting that you occasionally use FB to connect with other web sites? This is how FB makes money. In addition Gmail does data mining on your emails which brings up key words. Most likely they get to your email through FB.

And despite what some here say. Don't just accept this. You don't have to. Push Back.

In Addition when at a store and they ask for your email or phone number DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You want to see something really spooky?
Go to Home Depot and stop by the walk-in bathtub display they have. It's like ones they advertise on TV all the time for older folks.
Stop by the display, open the door and lean inside.
Within 2 days you email getting spammed with ads for those tubs.

If you wear your tin foil hat this will not happen anymore!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been asked for my email address or phone number when doing the "build my Jeep"
Bob

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
If you go get your own domain (yourname.com for example), most providers set you up with e-mail service. You can create whatever@yourname.com, and with most, it's pretty much unlimited.

I have a couple of domains, and I setup a specific e-mail address for each provider I deal with. If any e-mail messages are sent to that address from anyone else, I know that provider sold or traded my information, and they won't be a provider much longer. I also have some throwaway addresses setup for offers, etc.

I noted that someone mentioned that their credit card has been hit several times. It's not always that your specific information was stolen - there are also efforts to "guess" card numbers. This happens a lot, and can be either sequential guessing (they try xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxx1 and work their way up) or if they identify the schema used by the card issuer, they can guarantee they have potentially valid numbers. This has happened to Chase, for example. Their schema was discovered, and the bad guys knew what valid Chase numbers would be. It was just a matter of hitting active ones.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I have an E-Mail only my friends have and I have and E-Mail that I give to everyone else that I might check once a mounth
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^I figured it was a comment on excessive paranoia.
I figured that, I just don't follow the progression of events. If he hadn't moved, why would the bank manager think he did? A change of address form got picked out of his recycle box?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^I figured it was a comment on excessive paranoia.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Years ago before the internet my brother inlaw got a call from his bank manager friend asking him when he had moved.
He hadn't moved so why the request for change of address.
He figured it got picked out of his recycling box.
First thing he did was buy a paper shredder.
Maybe I'm a little slow today, but I don't follow this.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman