cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy 454- good or bad

Kski1225
Explorer
Explorer
Hi- recently had my motorhome 454 engine blow a head gasket and totaled my RV life- upon reflection some have told me it was a mistake to go with the Chevy instead of the Ford product- it was. 97 Fleetwood Bounder- any help from you guys? Also just to possible run salt in the wound- the big rig shop estimated 18 grand total repair- and of course after only paying $9500 for the RV I declined the repair- did they take advantage of the situation maybe??
24 REPLIES 24

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I did a complete conversion from gas to diesel going from a '76 gas engine to a 2006 diesel engine and matched tranny for less than what they want!!! They either want to **** you or just don't want to work on it.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
from what I have done, I think a head gasket is a two day job, if you work all day both day, if you don't paint and sand blast every thing when you have it off.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I didn't say it's common. I said there was some history. The engines I was involved with, hydro locked while sitting and destroyed them selves when the starter was engaged.
It's really a shame when a flaw is presented and brand name lovers are offended. I spent many years of my younger life as a automotive professional and may have seen more failures than hobbits.

Richard

I never accused you of saying it's common, but saying there's a history is pretty much the equivalent. And there is no history. I could care less about brand names. Every manufacturer has an example of some pretty craptastic designs.

But dude - hydrolocked while sitting and then destroying themselves? A starter motor having enough torque to bend crankshafts and break pistons? No. Wouldn't even have enough torque to break the teeth off the flywheel. The starter would destroy itself first. If filled with water they a) wouldn't fire (so no torque) and b) the starter wouldn't even begin to try to turn them over. Clicks like a dead battery. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

If it's running and water is suddenly introduced then you've got damage, but it's not happening from a head gasket. Not on a 454 or anything else. Sorry.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
454s have some history of antifreeze leaks from head gaskets and intake manifolds, causing hydro lock. Hydro lock can cause broken crankshafts, bent rods and broken pistons. I have personally been involved in the repair of two such cases of hydro lock.

Richard

I have never heard of this happening except on boats for obvious reasons. The 454 is a very popular marine power plant. I googled it to see if it's a common problem with the 454 or any other engine in particular. It just isn't.

There was no evidence of a head gasket leak on mine when the #3 piston came apart. You would have to have a massive, instantaneous intrusion of coolant in order to hydrolock an engine. Not saying it can't happen, but it's virtually impossible without very obvious signs of a head gasket leak over a very long period of time or some other catastrophic failure that causes the head gasket to blow. I had a Grand National that a shop apprentice stole after hours. He ran 30 PSI of boost through it street racing without knowing how to operate the alcohol injection system. The head gaskets on both sides blew in about 4 different places. But it didn't hydrolock. Beat the **** out of the crankshaft and main bearings but that was from detonation, not coolant intrusion into the cylinders. (yes I sued the shop owner, no I never got paid. Cost me $6k to fix it). But I digress....

The worst cases of poorly designed head gaskets I've come across in my shade tree mechanic life are on the older dodge inline 6s (like in the K-cars) and the Nortstar V8s. I've had several and none ever hydrolocked. They'd lose coolant at an alarming rate - but they'd burn it. Never hydrolocked. Ironically I did have an '86 T-bird with a nasty head gasket leak that I drove that way for years. It did hydrolock after going through a deep puddle in front of my house. Thankfully I wasn't going very fast. I was able to pull the plugs, crank it over a few times, put the plugs back in and start it up. I was only 15 minutes late for work!

Again, not saying it can't happen but I wouldn't consider it common and to say 454s have a "history of it" is just plain misleading.

I didn't say it's common. I said there was some history. The engines I was involved with, hydro locked while sitting and destroyed them selves when the starter was engaged.
It's really a shame when a flaw is presented and brand name lovers are offended. I spent many years of my younger life as a automotive professional and may have seen more failures than hobbits.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
454s have some history of antifreeze leaks from head gaskets and intake manifolds, causing hydro lock. Hydro lock can cause broken crankshafts, bent rods and broken pistons. I have personally been involved in the repair of two such cases of hydro lock.

Richard

I have never heard of this happening except on boats for obvious reasons. The 454 is a very popular marine power plant. I googled it to see if it's a common problem with the 454 or any other engine in particular. It just isn't.

There was no evidence of a head gasket leak on mine when the #3 piston came apart. You would have to have a massive, instantaneous intrusion of coolant in order to hydrolock an engine. Not saying it can't happen, but it's virtually impossible without very obvious signs of a head gasket leak over a very long period of time or some other catastrophic failure that causes the head gasket to blow. I had a Grand National that a shop apprentice stole after hours. He ran 30 PSI of boost through it street racing without knowing how to operate the alcohol injection system. The head gaskets on both sides blew in about 4 different places. But it didn't hydrolock. Beat the **** out of the crankshaft and main bearings but that was from detonation, not coolant intrusion into the cylinders. (yes I sued the shop owner, no I never got paid. Cost me $6k to fix it). But I digress....

The worst cases of poorly designed head gaskets I've come across in my shade tree mechanic life are on the older dodge inline 6s (like in the K-cars) and the Nortstar V8s. I've had several and none ever hydrolocked. They'd lose coolant at an alarming rate - but they'd burn it. Never hydrolocked. Ironically I did have an '86 T-bird with a nasty head gasket leak that I drove that way for years. It did hydrolock after going through a deep puddle in front of my house. Thankfully I wasn't going very fast. I was able to pull the plugs, crank it over a few times, put the plugs back in and start it up. I was only 15 minutes late for work!

Again, not saying it can't happen but I wouldn't consider it common and to say 454s have a "history of it" is just plain misleading.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
One would think the shop really does not want to do the work. Are you acquainted with anyone who does mechanic work? Unless the head or block is warped, this is not a hard, or complicated job. If you think you can do this yourself, ask advice from parts stores, or on line. Even hiring a mechanic to do the work for you, you will come out way ahead.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Wildmanbaker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
The 454 is a great motor, i ran one well over 100,000 in my 91 pace arrow. The need some attention once and a while.

Jimmy, I wanted to tell you, i know where there is a MoHO just like yours for sale in michigan here if anyones interested

It is a great motor, I agree. I got my MoHo with 79k miles and the 454 had grenaded. I have no idea how it was maintained or whether it was a freak thing. There was so much damage there was no way to tell what happened but it looks like maybe a wristpin let go or a piston came apart. The replacement (used) 454 I put in it has been great.

Michigan is too far for me, but the old Allegros are well built and reliable. I use ours for quick weekend trips and tailgating - I'm afraid it's too old for long distance use.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
First of all, this is in the wrong forum - hopefully it will get moved.

Second, there are people lined up on the Ford and Chevy sides pretty much just like Dems and Republicans. And like political views, if you subscribe to one side or the other you're not likely to be swayed to see the other side. That being said, it was not a mistake to buy the Chevy. The 454 is a tried-and-true power plant with out any critical flaws. Yes every engine design has its common quirks, but head gaskets aren't one of them on the 454.

$18k for a head gasket repair is obscene, even if it requires removing the engine. I would bet it can be changed through the doghouse. If so, it's a $1,000 job at most. About 1/4 of that if you do it yourself.

The 454 is a great motor, i ran one well over 100,000 in my 91 pace arrow. The need some attention once and a while.

Jimmy, I wanted to tell you, i know where there is a MoHO just like yours for sale in michigan here if anyones interested
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
For $18k, the OP could have have my 1995 454 gasser 28' motorhome (running perfectly BTW) and had $4k left over.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy 454 and Ford 460 are both well proven engine cores, it is not a mistake to go with an engine built on either one.

If the problem is only a blown head gasket (rare in modern engines) the $18,000 estimate means "we don't want to do the job." You are talking about an under $100 part (and at most another few hundred dollars worth of gaskets, hoses and fasteners for everything that needs to be removed and replaced) and a couple of days worth of labor. Labor depends on engine access.

However, if the blown head gasket means more serious engine damage, a remove, rebuild and replace for a big-block V8 in a Class A gas motorhome should still be a lot less than $18,000. But it could still be a lot more than your motorhome is worth.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sure there is more than just a blown head gasket to this story. Maybe the OP will return and fill in some of the missing details.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
A 454 is a good engine but any brand engine can have problems. 18 thousand is just crazy for a simple head gasket replacement! You should get a complete engine for that price. Find a different shop they are trying to rip you off!
:M
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee