cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Rim of GC area campgrounds or cabins.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to do a solo camping/hotel trip out west for my 60th birthday in my convertible.

My primary destinations are Monument Valley (including Mokee Dugway and Valley of the Gods), and North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I was planning on staying at San Juan Inn (Mexican Hat) for this leg of the trip, but I'm going to drive west on 89 to 89A over to North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion Bryce, Capitol Reef, Vermillion Cliffs and Grand Staircase. These are fairly close together, and it would be helpful to stay at one place and hit them all.

Kaibab Village looks like a good location, but the place has horrible reviews. I can't see myself loading quarters into a shower. I could either stay in a simple cabin with no facilities except electric and heat (I'll be going the second week of September), or camp in a tent with a portable electric heater. An inexpensive motel room would probably be best.

Any ideas?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
14 REPLIES 14

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I'm taking the Yamaha. I could do the Dugway , but would have a problem with the VOGs.
Jim & Sherri

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd think twice before taking a Class A up Moki Dugway, it is nothing but a dirt road with a series of 180 deg switchbacks. Of course it was built for Uranium ore trucks but I have no idea what their turning radius was. Take your yamaha up it first to scout it out.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably right. I may end up taking the motorhome after all. It is so much easier to travel in a motorhome. My only have-to-sees on this trip are Monument Valley, Mokee Dugway, Valley of the Gods, and the Grand Canyon. If I have time left over I can do Zion and Escalante. I'm going to bring my Yamaha XT225 on a carrier so I won't have to fool with a trailer. I'll use it in case of emergency and to do the Dugway and VOG.

If I do the northerly loop and do the North Rim I will have the option of doing Zion and Escalante. If I go in from the south and do the South Rim and proceed north I can do the sights around Moab. Since I only have 6 days I will need to figure out which route makes for the least miles.
Jim & Sherri

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
I'm going to do a solo camping/hotel trip out west for my 60th birthday in my convertible.

Congradulations!

My primary destinations are Monument Valley (including Mokee Dugway and Valley of the Gods), and North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

IMHO, these are all great Sunrise and Sunset locations - so you should make an effort to stay in a location Close so as to be able to enjoy - maybe with Coffee in the AM and an Adult beverage in the PM - just a thought.(Gooseneck State Park is just down the road)

I was planning on staying at San Juan Inn (Mexican Hat) for this leg of the trip, but I'm going to drive west on 89 to 89A over to North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion Bryce, Capitol Reef, Vermillion Cliffs and Grand Staircase.

You do understand these are in a LARGE area - Not Close - Also think about Page and Lake Powell - Antelope Canyon - are both worth the time.

These are fairly close together, and it would be helpful to stay at one place and hit them all.

Your Idea of CLOSE is very Different from Mine - These are NOT, IMHO, a one stop group.

Kaibab Village looks like a good location, but the place has horrible reviews.

I stay in the Coach so can't comment on Hotels.

I can't see myself loading quarters into a shower.

Not a chance!

I could either stay in a simple cabin with no facilities except electric and heat (I'll be going the second week of September), or camp in a tent with a portable electric heater.

Always a chance for a cancellation at the North Rim - the Breakfast Buffet is something we always have enjoyed - go Early to watch the Sunshine into the Grand Canyon as it rises.

An inexpensive motel room would probably be best.

Any ideas?

If I were you I'd look at the locations and the drives you are planning - maybe a few less locations and a little more relaxation would be in order.

This is a really big area and the Roads tend to be very indirect, making the drives longer than you might think - Slow - and Beautiful - most of the time in the Mountains you will be lucky to average 30 mph, so ........

Sounds like a great adventure - let us know how it goes.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We drive to SLC from San Antonio on an annual basis to visit G-Kids and have always found something or some reason to stop at a natural wonder in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, or Colorado. The distances between scenic wonders will take more time than expected so try to plan accordingly. For example, the North Rim has great drives to overlooks that you should visit but the roads are only good for speeds of about 45 mph or less. In that area, we enjoyed driving the Nat. Forest roads to the GC rim--again gravel roads, slow speeds--takes time. Have a great trip and enjoy it all.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The kids are back in school so probably yes that is off season.
Superbumper

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Will the second week of September be considered "off" season?
Jim & Sherri

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I did most of that trip several years ago solo and found that since I was staying in a tent, that I was able to find any number of places to stay. Also cheaper that way.
It was during spring break and got quite cold at night, but was well prepared. Amaazing how many of the campgrounds in southern Utah were full then.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
They don't take reservations ?

I am sure that they do, don't know how many years in advance you need to be for a cabin. they give out the "no shows" in order of signing up. we got one only because the folks ahead of us on the "list" evidently gave up and had left.
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't try to do all those parks from one spot. They are too far away and you'll be spending a lot of driving time. It's not difficult to move from one place to another and spend more time exploring the immediate areas.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
They don't take reservations ?
Jim & Sherri

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
we left the RV in Page and took the toad down to north rim. got on a waiting list for a cabin, got one, and spent the night there.
bumpy

We did something similar, except our trailer stayed at Zion.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are not that close together. For NRCG you can try to get a reservation in the park, or there are many campsites in the National Forest on the way south to the NR (no hookups of any sort of course), and finally there is Jacob Lake which has at least one CG and there may be rooms at the Jacob Lake's Inn. That would also be convenient for Vermillion Cliffs.

For Capitol Reef/Grand Staircase either stay in the park at their CG or get a site or room in Torrey UT. That's right outside the CRNP. Drive thru the park on Hwy 24 and you'll find the Notam-Bullfrog Rd which leads you right into the Grand Staircase. It runs into the Burr Trail. That road is a few miles past the Park to the south but to the north is a very good loop the Cathedral Valley/Hartnet Rd. I might try the Cathedral Valley section in excellent weather, w/o 4WD, but not the Hartnet since there is a river crossing and the road itself gets far away from the highway. Cathedral Valley is worth the trip. Whatever you do stay off the South Draw Trail.

Check at the Park HQ for road conditions before going on any of these.

Escalante is really, IMO, the best place to explore the Grand Staircase but you'd have to be -very careful- on the back country roads. Get caught out by a big rainstorm could leave you stuck. And summer is monsoon season for all these places, meaning there is a good chance of afternoon rain.

Zion and Bryce may look fairly close but driving from one to the other will eat up your day if you want to do some hiking. Stay at Ruby's Inn for Bryce and Springville for Zion.

Oh yes, add The Goosenecks SP when you are at the Valley of the Gods.
Superbumper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
we left the RV in Page and took the toad down to north rim. got on a waiting list for a cabin, got one, and spent the night there.
bumpy