cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

refrigerator not working

rvangel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 jayco class c redhawk.While running on generator power the lights dim off and on,the refrigerator is on and not getting cold and a noise coming from the bottom of the ref. Does the invertor have to be on?
11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
If you can't figure it out, go camp a night in a good campground. Early in the morning open all the hatches, spread your tools around in sight and an old guy will come by and ask you whats up. He will get you dialed in.

This is funny as rip, but most likely true. There is always some knowledgeable person who is willing to help.

PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection

Where the dealer has one of their mechanics walk you thru the entire RV covering all of the features and operation of all of the devices and appliances in the RV, and also covering idiosyncrasy's of the RV.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back to the dealer's service dept and have them diagnose and correct the problem. It may be a problem with the converter charger, connections between the converter charger and the house battery, and improper setting of switches. If there is a switch marked "storage" or "aux battery", try switching it. Also make sure generator is providing power into the rig via an automatic transfer switch ( if you have one) or plugging the shore power cable into the side of the RV generator accessible in an adjacent cable storage compartment.

New rigs often have problems like this, have courage.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:

If you can't figure it out, go camp a night in a good campground. Early in the morning open all the hatches, spread your tools around in sight and an old guy will come by and ask you whats up. He will get you dialed in.

LOL, this is seriously the post of the year.

Sounds like the batts are not juicing it up and the igniter is coming on. How is all the voltage & charge?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
rvangel wrote:
I have a norcold 2 door refer. What does PDI refer too.

Something doesn't make sense here. It's a 2017, so I'm assuming you purchased new. PDI is predelivery inspection, where a sales rep goes over the whole rig front to back top to bottom and demonstrates and explains all features of your rig, as well as noting anything that needs to be addressed or fixed. At least that's what should have happened. If you are having problems, take it back to the dealer. If you want help with your problem you may need to be more specific. Does your fridge run well on shore power, or on propane alone?

You don't need to be a mechanical wizard to enjoy RVing, but a basic understanding of all its systems and how they work will make your RVing life more fun, less stressful and cheaper over the long run.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the noise is the converter/charger struggling with a low or bad battery.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The access door under the fridge is probably the power center; if you open the metal cover (often there's a sort of twist latch that you need to use a flathead screwdriver or similar flat thing to turn) you should see the 120V circuit breakers and 12V fuses for the house part of the motorhome. Often the converter is also part of the power center. Depending on the model of the converter, it may hum or make fan noises when it's in operation--that is, when connected to 120V shore power or when running the generator.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:

AMEN!

Do you know what your house battery voltage is? The refrigerator PC board runs on 12 VDC and if the batteries are very low, PC boards are STUPID.

If you do not already have one, tomorrow, buy an inexpensive DIGITAL VOLTMETER. It is an invaluable diagnostic tool on an RV.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
The clicking noise is probably the electronic igniter trying to light the propane flame.

Turn the fridge off. Make sure the main valve is open on your propane tank and that there is propane in the tank. Light the stove cook top to make sure your lines are purged of air and that the system has pressure. On high the burner flame should be large and vigorous. Turn on the fridge...turn it to gas operation and turn the temp to coldest setting. You should start hearing that clicking noise again. It will try to light for several seconds and if no flame it will time out. The line may be full of air so you may need to turn the fridge off and back on to get it to cycle again to get gas to the burner. The newer ones will cycle several times on their own. If after several tries there is no flame, make sure the manual shut off valve on the back of the frige is turned on.

The lights going dim to bright continously while on generator could be caused by rpm fluctuations of the generator. Does it sound smooth? Have you checked the water in the batteries? Check the voltage at the batteries with a multimeter while that light fluctuation thing is going on.

John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

rvangel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a norcold 2 door refer. What does PDI refer too.I am a newbie. What could the noise be. I took off the access door under the refer and could only see a metal square covering. I had the generator running ,refer was off,only the main electric power switch was on and I could hear the clicking/ticking noise from under the refer.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might have bad batteries.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you got no or a poor PDI.
What type of refer? Absorbition or residential?
Lights din because they are 12VDC and your converter cycles to maintain your house battery.