cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric trailer brake controller 2000 Tradewinds DP

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I need to put an electric trailer brake controller on my 2000 Tradewinds, with a Freightliner chassis and a turbo cat.

Where is good place to get a brake light signal?

I guess it is not prewired as I could find anything.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373
4 REPLIES 4

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 Mandalay 43A on the Freightliner chassis came prewired for the trailer brake controller, but I had a devil of a time finding the pigtail up under the dashboard. It was black and it was wrapped in black electrical tape - Talk about camouflaged!

Maybe call Freightliner with your VIN and ask them if your chassis came prewired. Why run your own wire the length of the RV if the manufacturer already did it for you?

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
What I do is this. You need a large gauge wire from the Dash control to the rear to transmit a GOOD positive 12 volt signal to the rear brakes. I run a 12 gauge dual sheathed wire from the front to the rear. One wire is connected to the rear tow plug(for the electric brakes). The other wire is connected to one of the rear brake light wires that is HOT when brakes applied. This kills 2 birds with one stone. The newer models that have a so called prewire, the Gauge of the wiring is NOT adequate for electric brakes usually that wire is 16 gauge, way too small for a 40 foot run. You can also tap off the Air brake solenoid at the front that activates the Rear Brake switch. But, since I am running a Control wire already, I would rather connect to the rear brake light harness. Doug

My trusted RV shop installed my brake controller exactly the way Doug described doing it. It works perfectly.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What I do is this. You need a large gauge wire from the Dash control to the rear to transmit a GOOD positive 12 volt signal to the rear brakes. I run a 12 gauge dual sheathed wire from the front to the rear. One wire is connected to the rear tow plug(for the electric brakes). The other wire is connected to one of the rear brake light wires that is HOT when brakes applied. This kills 2 birds with one stone. The newer models that have a so called prewire, the Gauge of the wiring is NOT adequate for electric brakes usually that wire is 16 gauge, way too small for a 40 foot run. You can also tap off the Air brake solenoid at the front that activates the Rear Brake switch. But, since I am running a Control wire already, I would rather connect to the rear brake light harness. Doug

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
jwolf55 wrote:
I need to put an electric trailer brake controller on my 2000 Tradewinds, with a Freightliner chassis and a turbo cat.

Where is good place to get a brake light signal?

I guess it is not prewired as I could find anything.

When mine was installed they pulled everything from under the dash.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!