cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended Service Plan

Shrek51
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone purchased the extended service plan?

If so what is your opinion of this coverage.
19 REPLIES 19

Shrek51
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify; I was seeking info on the extended plan thru Good Sam's.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
They offer extended warranties for everything now. If it wasn't to their advantage they wouldn't be doing it. If you add up all the money from all the extended warranties, you could cover a failure if you have one, and bank the rest of the money. Consumer reports says to say no with some rare exceptions. For the occasional good story, I've heard far more bad stories.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I bought it on my first fiver but it was in the area of like 800 bucks. I did need a new ac unit and few other things that it did cover so that one worked out for me. On my second fiver I didnt bother and didnt need it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
todalake44 wrote:
I'm in process of buying a new Cedar Creek. Can get a 2nd year warranty for $250 from the factory. Covers all the things that 1st year covered. Dealer's warranty was $2700 for 5 years.

since you probably could get that dealer's warranty for about half that amount, and it covers for 3 additional years where things could start going bad, it does't sound that horrid to me.
again, it depends on your ability to pay a little a month or a lot at once.
bumpy

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
todalake44 wrote:
I'm in process of buying a new Cedar Creek. Can get a 2nd year warranty for $250 from the factory. Covers all the things that 1st year covered. Dealer's warranty was $2700 for 5 years.

Get a copy of the extended warranty and take a week to read it, specifically the exceptions and conditions that they WON'T pay for!!!! Warranties are black holes for the RVers and and profit holes for the Dealer:(:(:(:(

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
Forest River offers a second year warranty on most of their products for $150-250. That's the only one I would consider. Dealer probably makes more money on extended warranty then on the unit itself.

Jayco and KZ come with a 2 year warranty, standard. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

todalake44
Explorer
Explorer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River offers a second year warranty on most of their products for $150-250. That's the only one I would consider. Dealer probably makes more money on extended warranty then on the unit itself.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
I don't buy them on anything. Personal thoughts are, any product I buy or that is sold the makers should stand by their products and include the longer warranties. And the world should be full of rainbows and unicorns but none of that is going to happen. Wish in one hand and ..... well you know how that goes
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having just bought our trailer, the dealer offered the extended warranty... $3500. I can see justifying it on a car-- something you use every day. But for something that be used much less it just seemed like a huge ripoff.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our third 5th wheel. Each one the dealer tried to sell me extended warranty. If I purchased the warranty for each trailer I would have spent around $7,000.00. The savings would pay for a lot of repairs. Fortunately I haven't regretted the decision.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought 1 RV plan which had a money back guaranty if I didn't use it. When it was time to get the money back the company went bankrupt. Never again!!

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
My first TT I bought an extended warranty. The first time I tried using it they denied my claim. I quickly canceled it and found that they applied the refund to the end of the loan. So it wasn't until years later I saw any benefit to my cancellation. Since then I've bought two other RVs and did not buy any extended warranties. I've learned from my mistake! Good luck

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and you can probably get it for 50% of the first offer. check out restrictions/limitations. is it easier for you to pay $20 a month extra or come up with $5,000 out of pocket. if you put that $20 a month in a special savings account for a reserve, in 4 years you will have ammassed less than the cost of a refrigerator replacement, etc.
bumpy