Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Dolphin Dumping Question

RSturm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We just purchased a 2002 National Dolphin and can't be sure which valve is for black water and which is grey water.

Can anyone help me solve the mystery?

Thanks so much!

Richard

Picture the valves:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajjulaic2c90qj7/IMG_1187.JPG?dl=0
10 REPLIES 10

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also simply look at the wherebouts of the toilet on the outside of the coach. Follow the plumbing to a huge container. That is the black tank. Follow the pipe out from that to the valve.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Well I'll have to disagree with Tropical 36 about leaving the gray valve open all the time when parked with full hook ups. Your dish water will have some solids in it and when the gray valve is left open the water runs out but with out enough pressure to take the solids, plus soap scum etc.Then you have to deal with the sewer gases that come into your rig through the sewer system sewer flies etc. leave both valves closed till the tanks get to 3/4 or more full then go out pull the valve let it drain and close it again takes all of 5 min or less.
Ever notice when walking through campgrounds and every once in a while you get the sewer smell, chances are some one has left his tank valves open and the gases are venting through his vent pipes.
Look down your dump pipe in the ground where you hook up your dump hose ever see water indicating a p trap is in line.
Not meaning to start an argument just my opinion and reasoning.

No argument from me on that one and should have advised otherwise.
It's just that I'm always forgetting that it's closed in the middle of a late night shower and since I've never had a problem with it, I tend to just leave it open. With leaving the sewer hose on the ground, it's always full of water, so does make for a good trap in blocking gas and smells .
Having said that, maybe I'll give it another go for some better scheduling.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I'll have to disagree with Tropical 36 about leaving the gray valve open all the time when parked with full hook ups. Your dish water will have some solids in it and when the gray valve is left open the water runs out but with out enough pressure to take the solids, plus soap scum etc.Then you have to deal with the sewer gases that come into your rig through the sewer system sewer flies etc. leave both valves closed till the tanks get to 3/4 or more full then go out pull the valve let it drain and close it again takes all of 5 min or less.
Ever notice when walking through campgrounds and every once in a while you get the sewer smell, chances are some one has left his tank valves open and the gases are venting through his vent pipes.
Look down your dump pipe in the ground where you hook up your dump hose ever see water indicating a p trap is in line.
Not meaning to start an argument just my opinion and reasoning.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RSturm wrote:
Hello,

We just purchased a 2002 National Dolphin and can't be sure which valve is for black water and which is grey water.

Can anyone help me solve the mystery?

Thanks so much!

Richard

Picture the valves:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajjulaic2c90qj7/IMG_1187.JPG?dl=0

Now that you have that info, you might want to form a practice for the dumping procedure.
Ideally, you should dump the black tank when 3/4 full for the best results, but your mileage may vary on this and especially if you're planning on a couple of nights without in your travels and before reaching another place to dump.
We also shut the valve on the grey tank,(which is usually open when hooked up) the day before leaving, so once the black tank is drained and the valve has been shut, the grey water can be used to flush the hose. Doesn't hurt to run a gallon or two of fresh water into the black tank, either. We only use chemicals, for long term, use a lot of water when flushing the toliets and dump often, like within a 4 day period.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, agree with everyone else. Big pipe is black (toilet), small one is grey (shower-sinks).

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, the big pipe coming straight down is the black tank. Open that first and let it drain. Then open the grey valve to flush the lines clean.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my! We spent all that time worrying about the whales, and not paying attention to the dolphins, and now dolphin dumping has gone national! :B
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Large pipe.BLACK
Small pipe GREY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at your picture, the small pipe on the side is probably the grey water. suggest using a clear extension on the end of your slinky, and watch what comes out. Pull the one on the big pipe first, after it finishes, close it and open the smaller one on the side. the grey water will flush your hose. Another way to tell is use one of the bright blue deodorizersin the toilet, and again watch what comes out.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can look at where the valve connects then the large pipe is black and the small pipe is grey
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi