cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

James Bay Road

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Is the James Bay road something that can be traveled with a truck and rv trailer, or is it better suited for an expedition type vehicle, something built for the rough and tumble?

Is the Bay actually accessible by a common person, or is it like Prudhoe Bay and completely off limits?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
7 REPLIES 7

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
i ran across some blogs posted by motorcycle "ironbutt' riders ,it seems to be a right of passage . Maybe find some of these ?I remember one common thread - bring plenty of fuel/gas, oh and you have to sign in at the beginning of the trip ,so they know if they have to start looking for you.
I also think you can turn east on another road all the way to Labrador,check out some icebergs.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This is encouraging information, thank you.

I had found the James Bay website, but it seems really old, as it has a notice about upcoming plans to divert a river, that took place back in 2009.

Google claims Radisson Quebec is 21 hours by car from my location, so maybe it would be an interesting week to ten day road trip this fall.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

linc

no muskeg or 'winter road' whatso ever .
looks like a nice trip, make sure your vehicle is in good shape because parts may have to come in by helicopter
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

franco_ontarien
Explorer
Explorer
I did it 3 years ago. The road was built for the construction of the hydro project in Radisson Qc. It was made very wide for heayy trucks with wide loads It is asphalt all the way. Only 2 lanes but the gravel shoulders are wide. When I did it, the center line (yellow) was pretty much faded so I wouldn't do it at night. There are some frost heaves spots. Just look for the signs with orange markers, the more the markers, the bigger the heave... The speed limit is 100km, but the trucks and locals go faster. I tried with my truck and TC and couldn't...
Just remember that the road from Matagami to Radisson is over 600 km. There is only one fuel stop half up at about 320 km...
There is a municipal CG in Radisson with power and water. There is also a dump station. There are also free(they ask for a donation) camping spots along the road with no service. just a pit toilet.

Radisson is home to the La Grande Hydro electric stations. There are free guided tours. Bus included (it actually drives down and into the turbine room, carved out of the rock) http://www.hydroquebec.com/visit/

Here is a link to a good website http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
Not much up to date but still good info.

I took 8 days to drive from Ottawa to Radisson and back.(1,200 km one way). No muskeg to drive in, but make sure to choose the right time of year. I went in late August. any earlier and the black flies are out..

Short answer... yes you can drive a car up on the James bay Rd.

Charles

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
Google James Bay Road. Lots of good information there , even maps.

Scorp

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you're thinking of driving up there during summer, right? If you don't find out what you want to know here, you could contact the appropriate agency in Quebec to find out the road quality.

I had to look at the map to even see that there is a road to James Bay! Long ago when I was about 9 or 10, my parents and I went to Cochrane and rode the train to Moosonee. Not much to see there, and no road other than the rails.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty much winter road territory. Too much swamp and muskeg for year-round road.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er