cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out ran itself out

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
First time this has ever happened to me. I started the motorhome to move it today. It has been sitting about a month. The living room slide started going out all by itself. I ran back to the controls and the in button was lit up but it was going out. I could not stop it. It went all the way out and stopped. After that it worked fine. It has been plugged in the whole time. Any ideas? 08 Winnebago Journey 37H
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tropical36 wrote:
cobra350 wrote:
First time this has ever happened to me. I started the motorhome to move it today. It has been sitting about a month. The living room slide started going out all by itself. I ran back to the controls and the in button was lit up but it was going out. I could not stop it. It went all the way out and stopped. After that it worked fine. It has been plugged in the whole time. Any ideas? 08 Winnebago Journey 37H

I'm guessing and just in case you might have a POWERGEAR unit in the basement compartment. Check for a lever (maybe enclosed in rubber) on the back of the motor that may or may not be spring loaded. This is the manual electric brake release and if fixed, it could've been moved to the unlock position, inadvertently.

If unlocked all the room will do is push out about 2 or 3 inches. It will NOT fully extend if the brake lock is OFF. Doug

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
cobra350 wrote:

I'm guessing and just in case you might have a POWERGEAR unit in the basement compartment. Check for a lever (maybe enclosed in rubber) on the back of the motor that may or may not be spring loaded. This is the manual electric brake release and if fixed, it could've been moved to the unlock position, inadvertently.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I'd check the switch first.

X2, I was thinking shorting switch or shorting wires that activated it.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
cdl2 wrote:
Who made the slide out?
The mechanical part........like Power gear?

I cant remember I will look it up. After the storm passes.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check the switch first.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know how this will help but, on my rig that happened once when I had a bad ballast on a fluorescent light if I turned on the light the slide would operate.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
Who made the slide out?
The mechanical part........like Power gear?

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
Yes its electric. I wonder if a power surge might have caused it about a week ago I went out and my led awning lights were on. Maybe it is possessed. The weird part was the in button was lit up like it does when you push it normally but it was going out. It has a key switch to turn slides off I turned it off till I can look at it further
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Poltergeist! Don't do like in the movies, stand there with your mouth open gauking! GET OUT OF THERE! :B

No clue how to help. Hope you get it figured out though! 🙂

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Hydraulic or Electric slide?
2. Since about 2006 or 2007, ALL slides must have the wall button pushed continuously to keep the room moving. That means something(controller or the wall button assbly) activated the mechanism continuously for a full extension. From your description, I will bet it is Electric and not hydraulic since the room operated in reverse of the wall button
3. CONTAC WINNEBAGO FIRST THING MONDAY WITH YOUR UNIT NUMBER. They need to know this happened as it is a dangerous thing.
4. If electric, depending on which system Winne used 10 years ago, I would bet on the Slide control board is defective or has had water intrusion(corrosion) that caused this. You need to involve Winne and a Winne Service Center in this, NOT rely on a RV Forum for an answer. Doug