cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better cable clamps?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several nylon cable clamps cracked after two hot summers - can't say exactly how hot it was inside the closed trailer with 105 outside. The clamp is 3/8 by Gardner-Bender, the cable is a pair of #10 solar panel cables routed inside the cabinets. They are tight with two #10 cables, and I like it this way. Could've used 1/2" size. There is a bend/tension here, but several of them cracked, on the straight runs as well:

Is there anything better? I saw 1/2" plastic staples of a harder plastic, the weird thing is that they come with nails, don't have a nail gun and prefer screws for trailer:
8 REPLIES 8

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rock - temperature explanations make sense. Varying temps together with tension in the clamp can do this. It can go from 75 to 35 in one day there.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the cushion/metal clamps.

What people don't realize is all plastic clamps and including zip strips. There is a temperature rating written in small print on the package labels.

I'm sure the RV manuf buy the cheapest ones without regard to temp ratings.

I used zip stips to attached a canopy up North. When the temps fell I literally watched each and every one just crack open one by one. That is how 'I' found out about the high/low temp ratings on the labels.

The better the temp rating is the more expensive the zip strip cost was.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Get a rubber lined metal clamp (cushioned P clamp shown)

These are known as adel clamps and the cheapest place to get them is eBay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/adel-clamps

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder how they specify the size in those rubber coated clamps. Ex, 3/8 broken nylon clamps were pretty tight with two #10 solar cables. In cushion clamps is it 3/8 opening btw rubber jaws or you can squeeze in 3/8 max while compressing the rubber? Have to go to Home Depot and measure. Amazon have it cheaper and stainless though.

Edit - ops...
They don't have it in HD Canada.

MrWizard
The cushion cable clamp is the best option
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can use the staples you show and pull out the nails and add screws.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep a bag of mountable cable ties in the workshop and don't ever recall having any fail.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a rubber lined metal clamp (cushioned P clamp shown)