cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV slimline setup question

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
My RV neighbor has a new slimline dish with one LNB dish close by my RV. It is good for HD.
Can I ( I have his permission) connect to an other of the 4 outputs and
connect to my H24 receiver, will I need some other inserter or other
adapters ??? ...that is the question!
I have a DOME on my RV (SD only) and I know how to reset my receiver for the new dish.
Thank you all for your reply's
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283
6 REPLIES 6

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need to do that. If there is only 1 output then it IS a SWM antenna. You can add a 2 or 4 port SWM splitter (pictured above) to the output and then run your coax from that connection. The PI does not need to be between the antenna and the splitter so you could locate the splitter at the antenna, run the neighbors coax from the port 1 connection (the only 1 with a DC pass) and run the coax to your receiver from any of the other ports. You will not need to install a power inserter at your receiver but you will need to set the receiver to SWM.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's.
Just found out that there is only one output on the dish.
So I will opt. for my own dish next winter season.
Thanks,I learned a lot.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this drawing will answer some questions. Each unused output terminal on the splitter must have a terminator. You probably need a PI-21 power inserter for a SWM3 system.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
siggyd777 wrote:
My RV neighbor has a new slimline dish with one LNB dish close by my RV. It is good for HD.
Can I ( I have his permission) connect to an other of the 4 outputs and
connect to my H24 receiver, will I need some other inserter or other
adapters ??? ...that is the question!
I have a DOME on my RV (SD only) and I know how to reset my receiver for the new dish.
Thank you all for your reply's
Siggy

Yes, absolutely! If there are 4 outputs then it is not a SWM antenna so you can run 1 coax to your receiver, be sure you have your BBC installed on the H24 and you are good to go. If your home setup is SWM then you will not have a BBC (B-Band Converter) but you can pick one up for about $10. Also, if your home setup is SWM you will need to change the settings in the receiver to match the antenna type and set it to Multiswich and not SWM.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer SWM onLy has one output that goes to a splitter which also connects the power insert er. It is most likely inside his RV.

You could connect there but that means running a cable thru a window.

If there are four connections at the LNB then you could.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely.
Depending on which LNB model it coild be a SWM model requiring power from a power supply. Even if he has it powered I do not believe you can tap into it. For less than 200 dollars why not buy your own?