cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price of new Ford 3.5 EB F-150 XLT (Are they Crazy)

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Was thinking about getting a new F-150 XLT EB Crewcab (thinking didn't last very long). Wow, well over $50K for a mid-optioned 1/2 ton truck, to me that's crazy. I brought a loaded V8 XLT in 2010 and it was only $24K. Cannot in any way justify that much money in a truck, unless a diesel HD. Oh well, my 2500 gas Chevy, which was nearly $10K less than the XLT 2 years ago, lousy gas mileage and all, will do just fine.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
84 REPLIES 84

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
Was thinking about getting a new F-150 XLT EB Crewcab (thinking didn't last very long). Wow, well over $50K for a mid-optioned 1/2 ton truck, to me that's crazy. I brought a loaded V8 XLT in 2010 and it was only $24K. Cannot in any way justify that much money in a truck, unless a diesel HD. Oh well, my 2500 gas Chevy, which was nearly $10K less than the XLT 2 years ago, lousy gas mileage and all, will do just fine.

You didn't option it correctly. It should had been around 48K. Sounds like you maxed out the options with a 302a XLT package which can get around 50K.

My 2010 had an Xplan price with $7500 of rebates, around $28.8K so 24K must had been really stripped since my 2010 XLT really didn't have many options.

Was a 2016 that was on the lot. I think it did have the 302a package.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:

You didn't option it correctly. It should had been around 48K. Sounds like you maxed out the options with a 302a XLT package which can get around 50K.

My 2010 had an Xplan price with $7500 of rebates, around $28.8K so 24K must had been really stripped since my 2010 XLT really didn't have many options.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Because my brothers want to come for a visit.
http://www.boredpanda.com/the-most-overloaded-vehicles-of-all-times/

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
proxim2020 wrote:
I can see the benefit in some items, but some just cater to the lowest common denominator. In all honesty, I could live without TPMS. I did fine without it before. Depending on which vehicle you're driving, it can become a very expensive idiot light to maintain.

Yes, I agree.

I know people that just put tape over the light when it is giving a false reading.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll See wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Dennis Smith wrote:
Buy slightly used and it's a lot cheaper

That is what I did. It is not a myth. It does take time and patiences though. I bought a 5 year old truck with 13000 miles on it. You don't find a deal like that every day but, they are out there you just have to do lots of looking.

I'm sure the purchase price is less than new as it should be. But you have a 5 year old truck that likely has little to no warranty left. Also, technology, performance, and safety features can improve or change dramatically over 5 years. I'm not saying that there aren't occasional deals out there but a $10,000 to $15,000 lower purchase price vs new is not worth it to me especially when the vehicle is out of warranty and has more than 50,000 miles (not your example but what I see in the market). Roughly one third of it's useful life is gone(the best third) but the buyer is not purchasing it for two thirds of the cost. I've bought new and used vehicles over the years and have mixed results. However, I'm currently looking at pickups now and the new trucks seem like the better overall value currently. I may lease or I may buy and drive it for 10 to 12 years. Regardless, new seems to be the better value even with these crazy inflated prices.

I understand your opinion and respect it. For you it may be the right thing to do.

The only thing I would argue with is that you say 50000 mile is a third of it's life. Not anymore. If I do the math right you are expecting 150000 miles out of a truck. (Heck, I could get that many miles out of any vehicle back in the day if you did good maintenance ). These days 200000 miles is the very easy new norm. 250000 or more is not unheard of. 50000 miles is a quarter of it's life.

Sorry to be so picky.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Dennis Smith wrote:

Not really. I didn't feel that saving $5k was worth 60,000 miles and a few years of wear and tear.
My FIL just bought a 2 year old truck with 30,000 miles on it (still in warranty) (plus its a certified Used Car) for $11K less than anyone in the county was willing to sell him for a comparable new truck. I'll take $10K savings any day of the week.

$5,000 per year. If I buy it new for 50,000 and drive it for 10-12 years the cost is the same. And I know the maintenance and accident history and I got the best brand new years of the trucks life. I'm not being negative on you FIL's deal just looking at numbers. And we all wish the numbers were lower.
Jeep and Explorer

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Dennis Smith wrote:

Not really. I didn't feel that saving $5k was worth 60,000 miles and a few years of wear and tear.
My FIL just bought a 2 year old truck with 30,000 miles on it (still in warranty) (plus its a certified Used Car) for $11K less than anyone in the county was willing to sell him for a comparable new truck. I'll take $10K savings any day of the week.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Dennis Smith wrote:

That is what I did. It is not a myth. It does take time and patiences though. I bought a 5 year old truck with 13000 miles on it. You don't find a deal like that every day but, they are out there you just have to do lots of looking.

I'm sure the purchase price is less than new as it should be. But you have a 5 year old truck that likely has little to no warranty left. Also, technology, performance, and safety features can improve or change dramatically over 5 years. I'm not saying that there aren't occasional deals out there but a $10,000 to $15,000 lower purchase price vs new is not worth it to me especially when the vehicle is out of warranty and has more than 50,000 miles (not your example but what I see in the market). Roughly one third of it's useful life is gone(the best third) but the buyer is not purchasing it for two thirds of the cost. I've bought new and used vehicles over the years and have mixed results. However, I'm currently looking at pickups now and the new trucks seem like the better overall value currently. I may lease or I may buy and drive it for 10 to 12 years. Regardless, new seems to be the better value even with these crazy inflated prices.
Jeep and Explorer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
subcamper wrote:
I paid a body shop $6K to repair rust damage (I live near Buffalo,NY) and I just replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump, and brake lines myself. My Sub will have to keep going for a few more years. After that I may look for a rust-free 2001-2005 K2500 like mine from a southern or west state.

It's hard to imagine paying near $80K for a vehicle that will rust out in front of your eyes over a period of years.

Steve

When you start looking, check out south Texas. Lots of older Suburbans in great shape down here.

We got our Excursion Diesel from Texas...it has 240,000 miles on it and going strong, my DH does all his own work on it, never brakes down but it is maintained to pristine condition...it tows like a workhorse.
I don't think he'd ever sell it even though I'd love a new Dodge diesel but the $80,000 price tag is beyond our means...

Sher
Kind of ironic but I just bought a V-10 Excursion in Dallas TX this last weekend. 135,000. miles on it. I would rather use my resources for camping rather then truck payments.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
subcamper wrote:
I paid a body shop $6K to repair rust damage (I live near Buffalo,NY) and I just replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump, and brake lines myself. My Sub will have to keep going for a few more years. After that I may look for a rust-free 2001-2005 K2500 like mine from a southern or west state.

It's hard to imagine paying near $80K for a vehicle that will rust out in front of your eyes over a period of years.

Steve

When you start looking, check out south Texas. Lots of older Suburbans in great shape down here.

We got our Excursion Diesel from Texas...it has 240,000 miles on it and going strong, my DH does all his own work on it, never brakes down but it is maintained to pristine condition...it tows like a workhorse.
I don't think he'd ever sell it even though I'd love a new Dodge diesel but the $80,000 price tag is beyond our means...

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I can see the benefit in some items, but some just cater to the lowest common denominator. In all honesty, I could live without TPMS. I did fine without it before. Depending on which vehicle you're driving, it can become a very expensive idiot light to maintain.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
RPreeb wrote:
You simply can't compare what you paid 10 years ago to pricing today... the world just doesn't work that way.

Dollar for dollar you cannot, but when you look into it deeper then you can see the problem. New vehicle prices are outpacing median incomes around the country. Not only that, but the price increases year over year for some vehicle types, pickup trucks for example, are far outpacing the rate of inflation.

Even the average year over year auto price increase is up. 10 years ago the average year over year price increase averaged about 0.4 percent. Last year's average was nearly 3 percent.

Since the recession wages have mostly remained stagnant while vehicle prices have continued to increase. When you add all of that together, vehicles are becoming too expensive for the average American. Banks are offering more and more long term loans with nearly 1/3 of new loans being between 73-84 months.
When you increase the regulations; such as safety standards requiring more air bags, CAFE standards requiring 10 sp transmissions and turbo chargers, etc. - well those don't come free, you got to pay for those regulations. And as you can see, they ain't cheap like they tried to tell you.

But, do you really want to go back to driving something that hasn't even got seat belts and only gets 5 MPG ?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis Smith wrote:

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:

Myth. Definitely not in the current market.
Jeep and Explorer