cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking up wi-fi from ap[roximately 400 ft. away.

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
I need to pick up a signal from a router that is approx 400 ft from from remote setup. Need suggestions for directional antenna and proper router to use. Source building is a cement structure. Roof is metal membrain.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro
16 REPLIES 16

Rufas
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
The Ubiquity system in ***Link Removed*** is inexpensive and easy to set up.

I've been using Ubiquit for a couple of years with great results.

I have a newer setup in our motorhome. I'm using my old setup at my MIL's to remotely monitor her thermostat. I'm accessing a neighbor's wifi about 1/10 a mile away without issues.

My old router is an old Cradlepoint MBR 1000

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good... let us know how it works.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
cable would be a easy option but I don't have that luxury. This is what I'm looking at.Bear extender
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have used various directional wifi antennas on a variety of projects over the years, in fact this message is being posted using one on a partly obstructed connection of about 1200 ft. In my experience Yagi's don't work well if there are any obstructions at all. Best are mesh dishes, but they are relatively large 18x24 inches or so. For smaller directional antennas most of the sector antennas perform fairly well and are somewhat directional, but the best small antenna for this sort of thing is the backfire antennas sold by L-com. they are about 6-8 inches across.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with just doing antenna, you'll want one on both sides
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few comments
Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6 ethernet is only good to 270' (100m). Beyond that, the signal degrades very quickly and by 400' you may end up with too many errors and as usage from all devices on the network goes up, you will have more issues with all devices on your network (not just the long cable).

As stated 400' is not that long for WIFI, with brick and metal that adds some issues to overcome though.

There are 2 common types of directional antennas
1) panel antenna, they are not as powerful but really easy to aim and work better at picking up a weak signal than standard onmi-directional antennas
2) Yagi antenna, they are quite powerful but have a narrow aim.

I did a multi part write up on this topic on my blog
that may be helpful understanding the logic regardless of brand or specific solution.

Writeup
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
accsys wrote:
The Ubiquity system in this video is inexpensive and easy to set up.

X2

MrWizard
Do you mean MPJ aka Marlin P Jones electronics surplus ?

http://www.mpja.com/email_specials.asp
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
400'... Practically next room (I'm nearly about 150 yards)

go to amateurlogic.tv, download and watch episode 3. the ep should open with George and Tommie enjoying a glass of the grape (Non fermented in case you are wondering)

In a much, much (like 2 or 3 months ago) episode they re-visit that device.

NOTE: when I made mine I DID NOT, re-cut the Linksys antenna, I use it just as Linksys built it Just slipped the can over it (My Wi-Fi Adapter is a Linksys WGA-54G which, is then cat-5ed to my router which thinks it is a modem) then cat-5ed twice more to this laptop)

Alternative.. MFJ enterprises (I think that's the name) Sellers of my watch (it's a very accurate watch.. very very very very accurate most of the time) They sell a Wi-Fi Antenna or two. This can be used with something like a WI-FI Ranger's external unit and a power inserter. I would put it in a PVC house though if I used that antenna..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
DIY
Cantenna or Wi-Fi stick mounted on parabolic dish
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
The Ubiquity system in this video is inexpensive and easy to set up.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
WALMART has several extenders mixed in where they sell routers etc...

This works like a repeater and picks up your router and puts it out again on another antenna that you distant device can pickup...

This may slow down the connection abit depending how cheap you buy haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Retired andLoveIt wrote:
I need to pick up a signal from a router that is approx 400 ft from from remote setup. Need suggestions for directional antenna and proper router to use. Source building is a cement structure. Roof is metal membrain.

400 ft isn't anything special. the concrete and metal building is.

Put an antenna on the outside of the building, or another wireless access point. Outdoor AP aren't very expensive, power and data will go over one cable.

Outdoor AP
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Make you own antenna.

When WiFi was young and everybody wanted in, a lot of us here found and used this web site.
it's long gone but somebody made it into a PDF.
Page 14 is the one to read and use.
I pulled in signals from 1/4 mile away, line of sight.

DIY WiFi antenna