cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V-10 sparkplugs (SP 479 or AP 103)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a old X with the 6.8 and wondered what's the best sparkplug to run. I seen Motorcraft SP 479 and Autolite AP 103. Any suggestions?

I won't change them, I'll let the mechanic I use change the plugs and coils.
28 REPLIES 28

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
carringb wrote:
All Excursions use the 2-valve design. Even the 2005 which is the first year of the 3v in the pickups.
Just curious if it is possible to change the 2 valve motor out for the 3 valve?

Don't plan on doing it, just wondered if the electronics would match up.

I'm pretty sure you have to swap harnesses because the 3-valve has more sensors.

But.... 2005 also brought in CAN-BUS communications in the F (and E-series) gas motors. I'm not sure if the Excursion also got that electronics update. Swapping to CAN-BUS would also mean all new modules (Air-bag, PCM, ABS etc) so I'm not even sure its possible. I'm a little suspicious that maybe the Ex didn't get the 3-valve because it didn't get the CAN-BUS upgrade. It's probably way easier just to add a Supercharger! Or even the Banks PowerPack. The 2-valve with PowerPack pretty much matches the 3-valve output.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
All Excursions use the 2-valve design. Even the 2005 which is the first year of the 3v in the pickups.
Just curious if it is possible to change the 2 valve motor out for the 3 valve?

Don't plan on doing it, just wondered if the electronics would match up.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Went with APP 103 plugs. New plug's coil's and labor was $433. I did not think that was to bad.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so there was never 3v Excursion ? Interesting. I see 3v 6.8 F250's

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
I do not even see what year 6.8 the OP is asking about .....
Did I miss that ?
Different issues based on the year. I have an 06 Explorer with 3v 4.6 and had to deal with the 2 piece design.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
Home Skillet wrote:
$500 is cheap insurance, when you're 800 miles from home.
I was a Ford tech for 25 years. The last place I would want to do coils is ,on the side of the road.

:h They are easy. I can replace one in a couple minutes. even the far back ones!
Exactly, One screw and a quick connect; and they sit on top of the engine. I can change any coil on my V10 in a matter of minutes. No. 5 might take twice as long because you have to move some hoses and tubes. No. 6, & 7 you have to take the air cleaner tube off first.

More importantly, I have never had one just plain stop working. They start to misfire first. They will do that for 8 or 9 days at least (which is how long I have waited before to change one - not recommended however), and probably longer. Which gives you plenty of time to change one when it is convenient to do so.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
I was a Ford tech for 25 years. The last place I would want to do coils is ,on the side of the road.

:h They are easy. I can replace one in a couple minutes. even the far back ones!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
On the coils. Just do what I do. I carry to extras with me. I won't install any new coils until they fail just because of the price alone. $500-$600 for 10! More or less depending on where you get them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Beware those coils add up quick for ten. If your mechanic has Mode 6 on his scan tool he can check to see if any have misfires.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I bought the Autolite APP103.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I've used both. I'm now running AutoLite iridium plugs. The platinum only last me ~60,000 and double still only about ~75,000 miles. This is because the tune I'm running which is pretty aggressive. The iridium let me make it all the way to 100,000 miles again. I don't feel they are necessary for a stock tune.
2015 Ford Focus ST

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Either is fine. My understanding is Autolite is the MFG of that particular Motorcraft plug. My local dealer even stock the Autolites instead.
What do you use?