cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer Switch

Tazz3069
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I own a 2016 Pacific Coach Works Power Lite F295 toy hauler. I am installing a Xantrex inverter/charger. I can not find the transfer switch for this thing. I have asked the dealer and they have no idea. I emailed the manufacturer, and they have not responded. I tried to follow thee wires, but they are hidden behind the insulation. I need to connect the input of the inverter/charger to the output of the transfer switch. Can anyone help help me locate the transfer switch plz.

Mark
10 REPLIES 10

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at page 25 of the manual. Connect to 20 ampere breaker in distribution panel. Listed under AC input.
xantrex manual
I do not know where a 30 amp dual fuse would be installed. You would need a much larger ampere fuse then 30 amp for 12 DC input.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tazz3069 wrote:
I installed a dual 30amp fuse inline already. I just needed to connect to the 120V input source. Tech Support is the one who told me to connect after the transfer switch. I dont think they understood that I have a generator in the unit.
Regardless whether there is a generator and/or transfer switch installed or not, I have never seen any 120 volt device on a travel trailer (with the sole exception of a transfer switch) that was not wired/connected post breaker via the main 120 volt breaker/distribution panel.

Why use inline fuses when you have a breaker/distribution panel?

EDIT: If you're talking about using inline fuses on the DC OUTput of the inverter/converter, please disregard 2nd paragraph.

Tazz3069
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a dual 30amp fuse inline already. I just needed to connect to the 120V input source. Tech Support is the one who told me to connect after the transfer switch. I dont think they understood that I have a generator in the unit.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The power must come off a branch circuit breaker in the distribution panel not off the transfer switch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you connect the converter directly to the output of the transfer switch (or the shore power source), were you planning on installing a breaker for the converter?

The output of the transfer switch (or shore power source) typically goes to the input of the 120 volt breaker/fuse panel. Every converter I've seen is connected to a breaker on the 120 volt breaker/fuse panel.

Of course, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

Tazz3069
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
So you plug either the gen into a receptacle or you plug the shore power cord? If so doesn't sound to me like you have a transfer switch. Unless I'm missing something.

Now that makes sense. I thought so. Then I was right. That means that I will need to hook up my input 120v power at the shore power cord. My shore power cord goes into a Junction box. I can tap into there.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Transfer switch and generator/shore plug box? So you plug either the gen into a receptacle or you plug the shore power cord? If so doesn't sound to me like you have a transfer switch. Unless I'm missing something.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Y-Guy
Mark, on my previous Raptor the transfer switch was behind a removable panel in the front storage compartment very near where the 50amp cord plugged into. My guess is that it will be located in s similar place on yours, between the generator and the plug in.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Tazz3069
Explorer
Explorer
Xantrex 458 series 81-2530-12 I was told that I need to go from the transfer switch output to the inverter input. I was going to go from the Junction box where smy shore power/generator plug is located.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Model number of the Xantrex unit as some have built in transfer switch. Branch circuit from 120 volt distribution panel would go to input of Xantrex then out put of unit would go to dedicated inverter circuits.
Does your rig have a genset built in?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow