cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NC to Washington DC to Gettysburg Summer

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Eastern NC to D.C. Then to Gettysburg. Looking campgrounds with day trip into D.C. Please share any info you may have. Thanks!
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
9 REPLIES 9

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Pohick Bay Regional Park. We are from NC and so Pohick serves our needs since it is on the south side of DC. Also just up the road we catch the train into town. Nice quiet natural setting park. Nothing fancy but we tend to be in town most of the time sightseeing so we are really only there to sleep.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
about 2.5 hrs
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:
We stayed five days at the KOA in Millersville, MD about 20-30 minutes outside of DC. It's off the highway, but quiet and wooded. They have a shuttle to DC and the Metro stop is nearby. We drove in each day and paid to park. It's a nice campground, and we would stay there again.

We also drove to Gettysburg while camped here. It's fairly centrally located.

How far is it to Gettysburg?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed five days at the KOA in Millersville, MD about 20-30 minutes outside of DC. It's off the highway, but quiet and wooded. They have a shuttle to DC and the Metro stop is nearby. We drove in each day and paid to park. It's a nice campground, and we would stay there again.

We also drove to Gettysburg while camped here. It's fairly centrally located.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree CHerry Hill without a doubt. There are other DC area CG's however none of them cater to to the out of town tourist like Cherry Hill.
WEll run,well managed, easily access, close to the metro, decent location.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We agree with the above, about Cherry Hill. We have stayed there a couple of times last year and the year before. Only about 2.5-3.0 hrs. to Gettysburg. There are a number of good Cg's there as well. We like Drummer Boy there. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
For DC and if money is not the primary concern Cherry Hill Park has metro bus stop inside the campground, clean, maintained, large sites, and all kinds of amenities.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Based on a lot of input here and other good reviews, we stayed at Cherry Hill RV in the College Park, MD suburbs of DC. I grew up in DC and was there to visit friends and relatives, I was very favorably impressed with their services which cater to people who want to tour Washington.

They have a visitor briefing, maps, tours, info on Metro (subway), etc. There's a bus stop at the park entrance that goes to the Metro station or you can drive there and park.

I also liked the park overall. Professional, well organized staff, big laundry room, nice snack bar for casual meals, dog sitters available, etc. It's very close to the city, right at the Beltway. Expensive but full service and worth it. I'd stay there again.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Greenbelt NP, which is in Greenbelt, MD, just inside the beltway. It's about a half hour walk (at a decent pace) to the College Park metro station, depending on what part of the campground you're in, or probably a little quicker via bicycle. $16 per night without discounts, no hookups, not hard to get a site particularly when it's not peak season. When I was there the week of Thanksgiving, aside from the first night I could not see any other campers from my site, though there were a few others scattered about.