cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada Highway 1 in B.C.

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
Question about the tunnels on Canada hwy 1 north of Hope, British Columbia. The map shows a series of tunnels. Are these tunnels multiple lanes in each direction? Are the lanes wide enough for 102-inch wide RVs plus additional inches for the mirrors? Are their tolls to travel through them? Thanks in advance for responding
14 REPLIES 14

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
bguy wrote:
If you're into railway trains at all there's a place on Hwy1 in BC where you can watch the trains go into the spiral tunnel and out and cross over themselves. There's 2 spiral tunnels and a pull off area for both.
Those tunnels are east of Field BC on hwy #1 quite an engineering feat in the days when it was made, worth the time to stop and see, a few trains every hour.

I am familiar with the tunnels you speak of Johnny and yep, very cool. But..I am also familiar with the one 'bguy' mentioned and indeed there is a great train/tunnel watching location on the #1.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.3545939,-121.3899392,630m/data=!3m1!1e3

The 'mark' didn't mark...but looking at the map, see the highway marker? and the dirt road going away to the left? there...

There is a BC Gov't campsite just west..GoldPan, but if a person turns at the marked spot...Boondocking at it's finest and of you happen to score one of the primo spots, you are right across from the tunnels and the trains wind thru 4? of them. Its the downhill set of tracks and active all night long.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will add that this area is unique terrain and very scenic thru the Fraser Canyon area....it took a lot to build a highway thru there as those tunnels add so much character too....everyone is spot on with their posted comments as this stretch of highway is one you better be alert if driving.

I driven this route a total of 12 times (6 round trips) between 1985 and 1991, although I haven't been thru the area since.

In the mid 1980's, the canyon area corridor was light to moderate traffic during the day, when the late 1980's rolled around the traffic was moderate to heavy as I was trying to make sense of what happened with all this increased traffic I was in shock it was so busy.....I can imagine what it is like today.

Then again in 2012, the traffic on Trans Can 1 between Kamloops to Revelstoke was streamline heavy bumper to bumper and it was just non stop busy traffic at that, worse than I expected upon my first time in the area which I did not expect over 90 percent of this stretch was only a two lane highway.

I realized that the southern region of British California does not have enough highways to accommodate today's traffic anymore.....all the major British Columbia highways in the southern portion can get so congested at times too but at least most of the time the traffic is flowing.

As noted, it does get very hot in the canyon area on the sunny days as I experienced 100 degree temperatures on two occasions - I would have posted the exact same thing Flatfoot-Rogue had, reference to make sure upon having a sound rig with adequate cooling on hot days.

I started taking pictures for the first time on road trips in 1991 as I only have a few location pictures of the area of what it looked like then.....

Aug 1991 - Mile 67 - km 108 Trans Canada Hwy 1 -Fraser Canyon-
just north of Yale Tunnel :

Aug 1991 - Mile 77 - km 124 Trans Canada Hwy 1 -Fraser River- Alexandria Bridge :
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
If you're into railway trains at all there's a place on Hwy1 in BC where you can watch the trains go into the spiral tunnel and out and cross over themselves. There's 2 spiral tunnels and a pull off area for both.
Those tunnels are east of Field BC on hwy #1 quite an engineering feat in the days when it was made, worth the time to stop and see, a few trains every hour.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about this posting and knew that there was something in the back of my mind..it finally jarred loose. Note that tunnels are arched. A person that is not 100% focused on the task at hand will shy away from that right entry. The tunnels are all singe lane each way, and they are not w-i-d-e lanes, either. A driver will easily find themselves over the double yellow, with oncoming traffic and perhaps a transport or another RV'r in the same mind-set, coming at you. Chances are you will shy away as you enter the tunnel...get back over ASAP.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Flatfoot-Rogue
Explorer
Explorer
there are 7 tunnels. All are two lanes, wide enough for tractor trailers so you will be fine. There are some interesting places to stop at in the Fraser Canyon as well. Hell's Gate is a good stop if looking for a little break. During the summer it gets really hot and windy thru the Canyon so make sure your rig's cooling system is in good shape if you are traveling thru then.
2004 f-150
2005 Fleetwood Wilderness 18T6 (heavily modified)

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
exportman wrote:
Question about the tunnels on Canada hwy 1 north of Hope, British Columbia. The map shows a series of tunnels. Are these tunnels multiple lanes in each direction? Are the lanes wide enough for 102-inch wide RVs plus additional inches for the mirrors? Are their tolls to travel through them? Thanks in advance for responding

Here's a video that I created that shows going up Fraser Valley and a couple of those tunnels.We were there in the summer of 2015. The video starts at the Sumas border.

Crossing Canada video
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
No worries on height or width with our pusher 102 inches plus mirrors pulling a trailer at highway speeds.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the feedback. Great picture BC Explorer.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Except for two bridges in the Fraser Valley, there are no tolls on BC roads.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
You are asking about the tunnels through the Fraser Canyon right? No problem taking them at all! The only thing you have to do is honk your horn when you are in them!! ๐Ÿ™‚

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are single lane in each direction but as you see plenty big enough to accommodate your rig. That is an extremely busy highway.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
All the tunnels are 2 lane roadway and there is no tolls. Thousands of RV's commercial transport and autos go through the tunnels every day so you will not have any problem.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor trailers use the highways.