cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Place to stop along I10

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from Destin, FL to Big Bend National Park in Texas and we are looking for a good stopping point between San Antonio and Houston. Any suggestion would be great and thanks.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL
2017 Ford F350 DRW Lariat
8 REPLIES 8

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Third recommendation for Schulenberg.

My preferred route is US-90 through Del Rio to Big Bend. I-10 from San Antonio to Fort Stockton is one of my avoid if at all possible routes. Nothing really wrong with it except for fuel mileage killing grades up and down. I just prefer the more reasonable pace on US-90.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
All the replies sound fine. It depends on where you are when you need to stop. I would suggest Houston West RV Park in Brookshire, TX if you are worn out after fighting the Houston traffic. Stephen F. Austin State Park in San Felipe is great if you like state parks and can get a spot. It even has full hook ups.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL
2017 Ford F350 DRW Lariat

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what type of stop but in response to those words used I'll make the assumption it's anything up to and including a overnighter without hookups . In that case for me it would be the exit just before the Columbus exit. Good bbq resturant with a large parking lot. Easy off , easy on and it's OK to overnight there. I've done it. Do a Google earth, it's well defined. You could be on the road early and reach the 410 loop south and catch US 90 and be in big bend same day.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Schulenberg, TX. Small town with everything you need within easy walking distance of the RV Park.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
If looking for a decent overnight stop, Houston West RV Park is a good choice. We were just there a few days back on our way to Tucson. Level pull throughs, clean, easy on and off of I 10, and friendly staff.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Along with Schlunberg RV there's also Columbus RV not too far apart.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Schlunberg RV Park was a decent stopover. At the time I was there, 2 nice restaurants within walking distance. Schlunberg, TX.

Also, Gulf Coast was very nice, west side of Beaumont, TX, but I think that is just a little out of your specified area.