cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Expert Component Review Requested

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
I had previously been looking at the GoPower Solar Extreme "Kit" and received some very good feedback from all you folks here in the forums. It is due to that feedback that I have decided to piece my system together based on requirements and reviews.

Here is the system I have designed (below). Please let me know if there is anything that would/should cause me to worry or choose another component brand/model.

I will be wiring the panels as two parallel strings, 4 each in a series. I also will be putting in a DC combiner/breaker panel instead of fuses with appropriate gauge cabling between all components.

Solar Panels - 8 each (I have the room)
WindyNation 100W 100 Watt 12V Bendable Flexible Thin Lightweight Solar Panel

Solar Controller
Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 Tristar Mppt 60 Amp

Solar Controller Remote Display
Morningstar, TriStar Remote Digital Meter (for TS-MPPT) with 100' cable, TS-RM-2

Solar Battery Temp Sensor
Morningstar Remote Temperature Sensor RTS

Inverter
AIMS Power PICOGLF30W12V120VR 3000 Watt 12V Pure Sine Inverter Charger

Inverter Remote Switch and Monitor
AIMS Power REMOTELF Remote Switch with LCD Monitoring Screen

Inverter Battery Temp Sensor
AIMS Power PICGLFBATS Battery Temperature Sensor (for Power Inverter Chargers)

Your feedback is appreciated.
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger
19 REPLIES 19

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi WackAway,

Because there are issues with my particular setup on Magnum. I can't plug into a GFCI 15 amp shore power outlet with out it tripping off.

I did also have my Magnum catch on fire last summer. They, to give them credit, did stand up to the plate and replaced it under warranty.

I love the hybrid feature.

I'd also move to a 48 volt battery bank if I were starting over.

WackAway wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The price of Victron and Outback are the same or higher than the Magnum. I have a Magnum and would replace it with Victron.

Why is that?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"anywhere near 3k of inverting over a minute or so, be sure to check for heat at the batteries or cabling"

Excellent point, 2oldman.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have and recommend GoPower inverters. Xantrex Prosine 1800 gave up too easy.

Since you are going 3000 watts and typically using less than 2000 I would think the AIMS should hold up fine.

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The price of Victron and Outback are the same or higher than the Magnum. I have a Magnum and would replace it with Victron.

Why is that?
Todd & Victri

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

WackAway wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
I like everything but the Aims stuff. I recommend Magnum.

Wow, the price of those reflect they are really proud of their inverters.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why bendable WN 100 watt panels at $158 when rigid WN 100 watt panels are $118? Cooler too since they are mounted a couple of inches above the roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:

Wow, the price of those reflect they are really proud of their inverters.
Todd & Victri

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to do anywhere near 3k of inverting over a minute or so, be sure to check for heat at the batteries or cabling. At 12v that pulls a lot of amps which contributes to heating.

A higher voltage system may be something to consider, although it's not too common as yet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Darryl&Rita wrote:
Also not a fan of the glued down bendable panels. Way too expensive on a per watt basis, too fragile for extended use. The covering tends to haze, cutting production further. Heat also cuts production, so stuck to the roof yields a hotter panel than one elevated above it.
Yes. And you can't tilt.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Also not a fan of the glued down bendable panels. Way too expensive on a per watt basis, too fragile for extended use. The covering tends to haze, cutting production further. Heat also cuts production, so stuck to the roof yields a hotter panel than one elevated above it.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience, but from YouTube reviews AIMS does not get the best reviews. I friend bought a Samlex SA series to power his Burning Man site. He was very happy with it. They come in both 12V and 24V input.

Trojan T105RE batteries.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Aims was considered a joke by some repair persons. I'd go stand alone, or I'd go for Victron, Outback, or Magnum.

I'd also consider a 24 volt battery bank and the Grape controller. It does mean adding a small 24 volt DC to 12 volt DC converter, but that will more than make up the price difference on the other components. A 24 volt inverter only has to work 1/2 as hard as a 12 volt for the same wattage output.
Regards, Don

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Less installation cost, more watts, and less overall cost by going to 4 nominal 24V modules if you can fit them.

My thought on the panels was to be able to lose one panel to a failure and only lose 100 watts. I can jump the wire over the top of it in this case. It's a balancing act I know. More panels, more failure modes too.

There is little chance of failure of a well installed module. Your connectors and hold down hardware are the arbiters of how the modules will live. Since the acetates used to encapsulate the cells are really tough, there should be not too much that can break a typical module.

I'd strongly advise you to research those bendable modules. There have been reports of failures and I believe, in most cases, it is about either bending them too much or they stress crack from not being installed correctly. If they are adhesed to a surface, you will be giving up watts when the weather is warm. I know it sounds like a convenient idea, but there is no way I would buy one.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton