Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About 4 miles South of the Columbia Ice fields

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
From an older posting

About 4 miles South of the Columbia Ice fields, is a provincial GC on the East side of the highway. It's back in the forest about a mile, quiet, and has a dump station. No hook ups, but very alone and has firewood. At the time, it cost a weird amount like $16.37 Canadian.
The trip up on the glacier was worth the cost.

Can anyone give me more information? Name? GPS?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
5 REPLIES 5

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I meant when I said that the views of the Icefields from Wilcox Pass are good:

Click For Full-Size Image.

As you can see from DW's hair, it can get breezy up there.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might find this of interest --

Blog entry about the Wilcox area

If you hike, I strongly recommend Wilcox Pass -- stupendous views of the glacier, easy access to the high tundra, lots of wildlife.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Other posters are correct, it is the Wilcox creek campground and is a National Park campground rather than provincial. We really like this campground but we have a 24 foot fifth wheel and we can only get into about 1/4 of the sites. Corners are tight getting out as the campground is built up a hill off parallel roads which all empty out at the end meaning turns are tight. It is quiet though you end up set up very close to the parallel roads so people looking for sites drive very close to your unit.

The parking lot at the icefields info. centre has more room and incredible views of the Athabasca glacier and Mount Athabasca but is is a parking lot with no tables, no water or dump, no trees. It does have a couple of outhouses.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Here is info on the Wilcox Creek campground. Looks like you are right on the edge of fitting into the sites. Note the caution;

There are a few sharp turns edged with large trees showing evidence of trailer scrapes. If your RV is over 10ms (30Ft) you may not fit into the campsites, if so stay at the Icefields Centre RV campground parking lot located 1km west

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is more than likely Wilcox Creek, a few kilometers south of the Athabasca Glacier on the east side of the highway.